Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Kill multiple processes ran by root Post 303005629 by jeffs42885 on Friday 20th of October 2017 10:22:24 AM
Old 10-20-2017
Kill multiple processes ran by root

Hi all,

I have about 5-6 daemons specific to my application running in the background. I am trying to write a script to stop them. Usually, I run them as a non-root ID, which is fine. But for some reason the client insists on using root.

I do have sudo.

I just tried something like this

Code:
sudo ps ax|grep deamon|awk '{print $1}'|xargs kill -9

kill: 15663166: 0509-013 Permission denied.

kill: 16711728: 0509-013 Permission denied.

kill: 16974010: 0509-013 Permission denied.

kill: 17301670: 0509-013 Permission denied.

kill: 18153676: 0509-013 Permission denied.

kill: 21102690: 0509-013 Permission denied.

kill: 21627104: 0509-013 Permission denied.

kill: 22937744: 0509-013 Permission denied.

kill: 23134276: 0509-013 Permission denied.

kill: 25231382: 0509-015 The specified process does not exist.

This is AIX by the way

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

C program to kill root processes

Hello, First let me start by saying I have searched the forum and read all the SUID stuff but it is not in the neighborhood I am looking for. Here is the problem. We want to grant a non super-user permission to kill root processes but only if the process matches certain criteria. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TioTony
8 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ran out of space on /dev/root partition

hi, I have a SCO unix server which has a 36gb hard drive, but the IT company who supplied it assigned 1gb to /dev/root, 15mb to /dev/boot and 33gb to /dev/u. The /dev/root partition is now full, is there a way I can use the 33gb assigned to /dev/u without loosing any data, preferably... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Martyn
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all processes

i have a very short file that has in it a line for a find command. now, when i run this script and I kill the script later, using the ps -ef | grep scriptname. i noticed kill -9 kills the script itself but does not kill the internal find command that it gave birth to. say theres a file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kill several processes at a time

Hello, ps -C a* returns the list of the process I need to kill. but ps -C a* -o pid | kill does not work and I can't get the syntax right. Thanks for any help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
4 Replies

5. Solaris

kill processes

how to kill the processes of aperticular user? because i have nearly 25000 process are there for perticular user. i need to kill. Please provide the information? Regards, Rajesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmrajesh21
3 Replies

6. Solaris

kill the processes seen under ptree

Hi, How to kill the processes running under ptree ? I am noticing lot of processes running under ptree with ssh ? I tried to kill with -9 option which is not working ? Thanks, Radhika. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhirk
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill processes

for i in 'ps -f | grep textedit' do kill $i done I wrote this but it wont work. I am trying to find processes and kill them. Any help would be welcome. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawaiifiver
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill all user processes

Hi there, i've been searching all over and i thought i had understood the way i should go to kill all the processes related to a user. But i'm getting more confused then i was. By lunch time i have to make a database backup, and for that all the users shoul logout. The problem is that many users... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vascobrito
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill multiple processes by name

Want to kill multiple processes by name. for the example below, I want to kill all 'proxy-stagerd_copy' processes. I tried this but didn't work: >> ps -ef|grep proxy_copy root 991 986 0 14:45:34 ? 0:04 proxy-stagerd root 1003 991 0 14:45:49 ? 0:01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: catalinawinemxr
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the no of processes that ran 2 hours before or earlier

Is there a way to find out the total no of processes that were running ? - 2 or 3 hours before - list those no of processes (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jansat
3 Replies
rc0(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    rc0(8)

NAME
rc0 - Runs command script executed when stopping the system SYNOPSIS
rc0 DESCRIPTION
The rc0 script contains run commands that enable a smooth shutdown and bring the system to a single-user state; run levels 0 and s. In addition to commands listed in within the script itself, rc0 contains instructions to run commands found in the /sbin/rc0.d directory. The script defines the conditions under which the commands execute; some commands run if the system is being shut down while others run if the system is being shut down and rebooted to single user. By convention, files in the /sbin/rc0.d directory begin with either the letter "K" or the letter "S" and are followed by a two-digit number and a filename, for example: K00enlogin K05lpd K60cron K30nfs In general, the system starts commands that begin with the letter "S" and stops commands that begin with the letter "K." The numbering of commands in the /sbin/rc0.d directory is important since the numbers are sorted and the commands are run in ascending order. Files in the /sbin/rc0.d directory are normally links to files in the /etc/init.d directory. An entry in the inittab file causes the system to execute the rc0 script, for example: ss:Ss:wait:/sbin/rc0 shutdown < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1 s0:0:wait:/sbin/rc0 off < /dev/console > /dev/console 2>&1 The following operations are typical of those that result from executing the rc0 script and the commands located in the /sbin/rc0.d direc- tory: Notify users that the system is shutting down. Sync the disks Stop system services and daemons Stop processes Kill processes Unmount file systems Invoke init if the system is being shut down to single user The killall command sends a SIGTERM signal to stop running processes; SIGKILL follows to kill all processes except the process which initi- ated the call. The umount -a command unmounts all file systems except the root file system. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the directory of commands that corresponds to the run level RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: init(8), killall(8), rc2(8), rc3(8), shutdown(8) delim off rc0(8)