Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX.com response times
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators UNIX.com response times Post 303005614 by bakunin on Friday 20th of October 2017 07:13:00 AM
Old 10-20-2017
Update: here is a document explaining why HTTPS is faster than HTTP.

It boils down to a Google-developed additional session layer (SPDY) from which only HTTPS profits. Basically it is not HTTPS vs. HTTP but multiplexed sessions over a single TCP connection versus unmultiplexed sessions. It would be possible to do HTTP over SPDY too (it is just not done). HTTP2 is basically SPDY standardised and further developed.

In principle HTTP is slightly faster than HTTPS: there are caching facilities so that not every retransmission has to be originated by the client. HTTPS lacks that because relaying stations cannot read what they transmit.

How SPDY speeds up things is especially via the session multiplexing. This gains lots of time because of the delayed TCP-ack, which takes 500ms.

bakunin
These 4 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

feasibility of opening a website link from unix and get a response in the form of xml or html

i just wanted to know whether is it possible to open a website link and get a response in the form of xml or html format... the website is of local network... for example something like this wget http://blahblah.samplesite.com/blachblahcblach/User/jsp/ShowPerson.jsp?empid=123456 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Response Times

Hello all. Let me qualify my question by saying that I am struggling with how to ask the question I am semi green but have no issue reading up if pointed in the right direction. Please be gentle! A RHEL server 6.2. Hosts a statistical application that has some web apps and batch programming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Changing Times at UNIX.COM

Over the past year, I have written so much code at UNIX.COM, I've gained 4 KGs just sitting at my desk and not exercising! However, it seems that "no good deed goes unpunished" and not only have I sacrificed my health (gaining weight, not exercising as much), but there is also my family who is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Choosing VPN server based on server response times

Hello all, I am using the VPN provider Private Internet Access. I am using the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB of RAM, performance on this upgraded board is great. Anyways I am connecting to its service using systemd's openvpn-client @ US_New_York_City.service I wonder if I can create a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: haloslayer255
5 Replies
CURLOPT_PROXYTYPE(3)					     curl_easy_setopt options					      CURLOPT_PROXYTYPE(3)

NAME
CURLOPT_PROXYTYPE - proxy protocol type SYNOPSIS
#include <curl/curl.h> CURLcode curl_easy_setopt(CURL *handle, CURLOPT_PROXYTYPE, long type); DESCRIPTION
Pass one of the values below to set the type of the proxy. CURLPROXY_HTTP HTTP Proxy. Default. CURLPROXY_HTTPS HTTPS Proxy. (Added in 7.52.0 for OpenSSL, GnuTLS and NSS) CURLPROXY_HTTP_1_0 HTTP 1.0 Proxy. This is very similar to CURLPROXY_HTTP except it uses HTTP/1.0 for any CONNECT tunnelling. It does not change the HTTP version of the actual HTTP requests, controlled by CURLOPT_HTTP_VERSION(3). CURLPROXY_SOCKS4 SOCKS4 Proxy. CURLPROXY_SOCKS4A SOCKS4a Proxy. Proxy resolves URL hostname. CURLPROXY_SOCKS5 SOCKS5 Proxy. CURLPROXY_SOCKS5_HOSTNAME SOCKS5 Proxy. Proxy resolves URL hostname. Often it is more convenient to specify the proxy type with the scheme part of the CURLOPT_PROXY(3) string. DEFAULT
CURLPROXY_HTTP PROTOCOLS
Most EXAMPLE
TODO AVAILABILITY
Always RETURN VALUE
Returns CURLE_OK SEE ALSO
CURLOPT_PROXY(3), CURLOPT_PROXYPORT(3), libcurl 7.54.0 February 06, 2017 CURLOPT_PROXYTYPE(3)