Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX.com response times
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators UNIX.com response times Post 303005531 by rbatte1 on Thursday 19th of October 2017 06:36:15 AM
Old 10-19-2017
Is that partly because encryption includes compression? It wouldn't seem to be transferring enough data each time to make a noticeable difference though.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

feasibility of opening a website link from unix and get a response in the form of xml or html

i just wanted to know whether is it possible to open a website link and get a response in the form of xml or html format... the website is of local network... for example something like this wget http://blahblah.samplesite.com/blachblahcblach/User/jsp/ShowPerson.jsp?empid=123456 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Response Times

Hello all. Let me qualify my question by saying that I am struggling with how to ask the question I am semi green but have no issue reading up if pointed in the right direction. Please be gentle! A RHEL server 6.2. Hosts a statistical application that has some web apps and batch programming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Changing Times at UNIX.COM

Over the past year, I have written so much code at UNIX.COM, I've gained 4 KGs just sitting at my desk and not exercising! However, it seems that "no good deed goes unpunished" and not only have I sacrificed my health (gaining weight, not exercising as much), but there is also my family who is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Choosing VPN server based on server response times

Hello all, I am using the VPN provider Private Internet Access. I am using the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB of RAM, performance on this upgraded board is great. Anyways I am connecting to its service using systemd's openvpn-client @ US_New_York_City.service I wonder if I can create a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: haloslayer255
5 Replies
SSL_COMP_add_compression_method(3)				      OpenSSL					SSL_COMP_add_compression_method(3)

NAME
SSL_COMP_add_compression_method - handle SSL/TLS integrated compression methods SYNOPSIS
#include <openssl/ssl.h> int SSL_COMP_add_compression_method(int id, COMP_METHOD *cm); DESCRIPTION
SSL_COMP_add_compression_method() adds the compression method cm with the identifier id to the list of available compression methods. This list is globally maintained for all SSL operations within this application. It cannot be set for specific SSL_CTX or SSL objects. NOTES
The TLS standard (or SSLv3) allows the integration of compression methods into the communication. The TLS RFC does however not specify compression methods or their corresponding identifiers, so there is currently no compatible way to integrate compression with unknown peers. It is therefore currently not recommended to integrate compression into applications. Applications for non-public use may agree on certain compression methods. Using different compression methods with the same identifier will lead to connection failure. An OpenSSL client speaking a protocol that allows compression (SSLv3, TLSv1) will unconditionally send the list of all compression methods enabled with SSL_COMP_add_compression_method() to the server during the handshake. Unlike the mechanisms to set a cipher list, there is no method available to restrict the list of compression method on a per connection basis. An OpenSSL server will match the identifiers listed by a client against its own compression methods and will unconditionally activate compression when a matching identifier is found. There is no way to restrict the list of compression methods supported on a per connection basis. The OpenSSL library has the compression methods COMP_rle() and (when especially enabled during compilation) COMP_zlib() available. WARNINGS
Once the identities of the compression methods for the TLS protocol have been standardized, the compression API will most likely be changed. Using it in the current state is not recommended. RETURN VALUES
SSL_COMP_add_compression_method() may return the following values: 0 The operation succeeded. 1 The operation failed. Check the error queue to find out the reason. SEE ALSO
ssl(3) 50 2013-03-05 SSL_COMP_add_compression_method(3)