Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to check if a file is open in editor? Post 303005499 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 18th of October 2017 02:47:55 PM
Old 10-18-2017
A process ID does not change during the life of a process. But with a clear command in your code, any diagnostics messages that might be printed to give you an indication of what went wrong will likely be erased before you get a chance to see them.

How is it that you expect to edit a file when your editor is running in the background and can't read editing instructions from the terminal?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unable to open files in VI editor

Hi, I unable to open any file using Vi editor,constantly getting the following error, vi log.log *** glibc detected *** malloc(): memory corruption: 0x081af510 ** uname -a Linux sekac092 2.6.5-7.244-bigsmp #1 SMP Mon Dec 12 18:32:25 UTC 2005 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux Also Note ls... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give permissions to an open file in vi editor?

Hi all, I have a shell script that i started editing, only in the midst of which i tried to save the changes i found that the file wasnt been provided with write/execute permissions. I later have redone the changes and saved the file- Just curious to know if there was any command wherein... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pankajakshan
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

getting error when open vi editor

helo I install my product for koren language I m uisng RHEL -4 operating system now problem is whenever I open any file vi filename I got following error on the screen E557: Cannot open termcap file 'vt100' not known. Available builtin terminals are: builtin_ansi ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to open file in VI Editor at a specific line?

i have following query e.g i want the VI Editor cursor at line number N instead of 0 while opening the file from unix prompt. vi filename ?????? Can anyone help? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

avoid open file to check field.

Hi Everyone, # cat a.txt 94,aqqc,62345907, 5,aeec,77, # cat 1.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; use Date::Manip; open(my $FA, "/root/a.txt") or die "$!"; while(<$FA>) { chomp; my @tmp=split(/\,/, $_); if (index($tmp, "qq") ne -1) { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Notepad++ hang when open file edited in other text editor

Hi, I would like to ask about the notepad++ text editor application, Although there are alternative and more great text editor in linux (gedit, geany, jedit) im still using the notepad++ sometimes cause for some of my own reason one of those is the minimalist text(what i mean is notepad++ has a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi editor will not open new to UNIX. help please.

vi: syntax error at line 1: `)' unexpected when I try to vi into the /etc/vfstab, the return gives me the above error. how can resolve this so that I can have access into vi. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dovestar
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to read .csv file until open in vi editor

Hi, I am facing a problem regarding .csv file, my script does not read .csv file and if i open this file in vi editor and perform :wq option then only my script reads the .csv file. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranabhavish
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if a file is open and in use (logs are being written to it)

Hello Experts, I need to write a shell script to check if a file is open and something is being written to it. I want to know how OS handles it. I checked with lsof command but it is not working. For a test I did this. while true; do echo `date` >>abc.txt; done then I checked lsof |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
5 Replies
gconf-editor(1)                                                    User Commands                                                   gconf-editor(1)

NAME
gconf-editor - view and edit personal desktop configuration preferences SYNOPSIS
gconf-editor DESCRIPTION
The GConf Editor application enables you to view and edit all of your current personal desktop preferences. The GConf Editor window pro- vides a tree view to navigate through the hierarchy of preferences, an edit pane to make changes to individual preferences, and a descrip- tion pane to highlight the documentation associated with the currently selected preference. OPTIONS
None. OPERANDS
None. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Launching GConf Editor example% gconf-editor EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gconf-editor Executable for GConf Editor. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability | | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability | | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop System Administration Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 1 Oct 2003 gconf-editor(1)