Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wildcards when using awk -F
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Wildcards when using awk -F Post 303005344 by fgarvis88 on Tuesday 17th of October 2017 07:56:42 AM
Old 10-17-2017
Right, I'm using -F so I can filter on particular fields. This is a SecOnion VM so I'm trying to use some sort of wildcard combo to filter certain octets of an IP address of web traffic.

For instance I'm looking at http traffic but I want to see 5 or 6 fields so I can focus on who is talking to who. I want to filter out a range of IP's that take up a bulk of the traffic so I can focus on the onesies and twosies easier.

Last edited by rbatte1; 10-17-2017 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: Added ICODE tags
fgarvis88

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and wildcards

Hi guys, a small problem today, I'm grepping a log file containing lines like this below: Mar 09 16:04:00 blabla Mar 09 16:04:02 blabla Mar 09 16:04:05 blabla Mar 09 16:04:15 blabla Mar 09 16:05:06 blabla Mar 09 16:05:23 blabla Mar 09 16:05:25 blabla ... in this file I'm grepping... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lomic
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED and wildcards

I am using this code to locate and modify one particular ID in a file containing thousands of entries sed 's/^>OldID/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile How can I modify the code so I can rename all old IDs to a new unique ID? I tried this sed 's/^>*/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile but it did not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop with wildcards

Hi, I've got a ksh for loop with wildcards specified, and I want the wildcards to be preserved when inside the loop. Instead, it is expanding the wilcards and identifying filenames in the current directory #!/usr/bin/ksh list="a* b*" for i in ${list} do echo 'Loop value =' ${i} done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nim
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Wildcards in scp

to scp using windcards you use the following : scp 'hostname:/home/username/diff_201110*' . Enjoy ! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpsnook
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - index and wildcards

When I search for the string capId=... using awk '/capId=.../' file I get successful results. However when I feed the string as a variable, like this: str="capId=..." awk -v str="$str" 'index($0, str)' file I get no results. What can I do if I need to generate a string that contains... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies
Traffic control index filter(8) 				       Linux					   Traffic control index filter(8)

NAME
tcindex - traffic control index filter SYNOPSIS
tc filter ... tcindex [ hash SIZE ] [ mask MASK ] [ shift SHIFT ] [ pass_on | fall_through ] [ classid CLASSID ] [ action ACTION_SPEC ] DESCRIPTION
This filter allows to match packets based on their tcindex field value, i.e. the combination of the DSCP and ECN fields as present in IPv4 and IPv6 headers. OPTIONS
action ACTION_SPEC Apply an action from the generic actions framework on matching packets. classid CLASSID Push matching packets into the class identified by CLASSID. hash SIZE Hash table size in entries to use. Defaults to 64. mask MASK An optional bitmask to binary AND to the packet's tcindex field before use. shift SHIFT The number of bits to right-shift a packet's tcindex value before use. If a mask has been set, masking is done before shifting. pass_on If this flag is set, failure to find a class for the resulting ID will make the filter fail and lead to the next filter being con- sulted. fall_through This is the opposite of pass_on and the default. The filter will classify the packet even if there is no class present for the resulting class ID. SEE ALSO
tc(8) iproute2 21 Oct 2015 Traffic control index filter(8)