Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wildcards when using awk -F
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Wildcards when using awk -F Post 303005336 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 17th of October 2017 07:22:20 AM
Old 10-17-2017
Welcome fgarvis88,

I have a few to questions pose in response first:-
  • What have you tried so far?
  • What output/errors do you get?
  • What OS and version are you using?
Most importantly, What have you tried so far?

We're all here to learn and getting the relevant information will help us all.

Kind regards,
Robin
This User Gave Thanks to rbatte1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and wildcards

Hi guys, a small problem today, I'm grepping a log file containing lines like this below: Mar 09 16:04:00 blabla Mar 09 16:04:02 blabla Mar 09 16:04:05 blabla Mar 09 16:04:15 blabla Mar 09 16:05:06 blabla Mar 09 16:05:23 blabla Mar 09 16:05:25 blabla ... in this file I'm grepping... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lomic
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SED and wildcards

I am using this code to locate and modify one particular ID in a file containing thousands of entries sed 's/^>OldID/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile How can I modify the code so I can rename all old IDs to a new unique ID? I tried this sed 's/^>*/>NewID/g' Infile > Outfile but it did not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For loop with wildcards

Hi, I've got a ksh for loop with wildcards specified, and I want the wildcards to be preserved when inside the loop. Instead, it is expanding the wilcards and identifying filenames in the current directory #!/usr/bin/ksh list="a* b*" for i in ${list} do echo 'Loop value =' ${i} done... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nim
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Wildcards in scp

to scp using windcards you use the following : scp 'hostname:/home/username/diff_201110*' . Enjoy ! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpsnook
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - index and wildcards

When I search for the string capId=... using awk '/capId=.../' file I get successful results. However when I feed the string as a variable, like this: str="capId=..." awk -v str="$str" 'index($0, str)' file I get no results. What can I do if I need to generate a string that contains... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)