Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating a condition on a bash script Post 303005308 by bakunin on Tuesday 17th of October 2017 04:07:47 AM
Old 10-17-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
If the files contain a single DNA string with no terminating <newline> character (which is what is specified in post #1), you'll need something more like
Fair enough. Just out of curiosity: wouldn't something like:

Code:
(cat /file/in/question - < printf '\n') | ...

suffice? This would either add an empty line (which would be irrelevant) or terminate the last line properly. No?

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed with creating challenging bash script with creating directories

Hi, Can someone help me with creating a bash shell script. I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must create n directories in the current directory with names like map_1, map_2 etcetera. Each directory must be contained within its predecessor. So... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for testing existence of files/folders and creating if neither exist

Hi, I am new to shell-scripting, and doing a lot of reading. I am having some trouble getting started with a simple testing of scripting. I have been experimenting with if, loops, for, test, etc., but still unsure. I seem to have the hang of it when it comes to creating a single file or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: me2
6 Replies

3. Programming

Creating a bash script that create/open database

Hi. I have two text files(tables) which include some information and I want to make some query codes using them. First of all, I want to create bash script that read this two tables, create/open database and insert data from files into database. #!/bin/bash while read line; do ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rlaxodus
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script in bash wchich creating a new users...

Hi, I am a new on this forum but i like :) I need a script in bash which will be crating a new user with folder for websites. For example: I will run this program and he creating a new user(with my name) and folder whcich name like user and if i will localho/~user in browser, she show me files from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: puclavv
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating an Interactive Bash Script to Analyze a PCAP

Hello Everyone, I am currently trying to write a Bash Script to call a PCAP file. The command I will use in the script will be the following: tshark -r test.pcap -T fields -e frame.number -e frame.time -e eth.src -e eth.dst -e ip.src -e ip.dst -r ip.proto -E header=y -E separator=, quote=d -E... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrTuxor
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need BASH Script Help to Move Files While Creating Directories

I've got this script to loop through all folders and move files that are more than 2 years old. I'm using the install command because it creates the necessary directories on the destination path and then I remove the source. I'd like to change the script to use the mv command since it is much... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: consultant
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script if condition not executing

issue is with .txt files (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil529
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Multiple checks inside if condition in a bash shell script

Hi, I need to perform the untar and rm operation if the file found is a .tar and does not have test.tar or hello.tar as the file names. Below is the loop to check the same. for tf in *.tar do if ] then found=1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating bash script to process a data file based on the menu

Hey, im fairly new to unix and Im trying to make this unix project that would display a menu and do the following. MENU =========================== (p, P) Print users info (a, A) Add new user (s, S) Search user (d, D) Delete user (x,X) Exit Enter your choice: Trying to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimaxtrd
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Condition in bash script

I want get from user and pass these parameters to bash script. script should copy files in user home directory. FYI: each file might be exist or not, might be one of them exist or four of them. Here is my script, it always copy file1 and seems only one of them execute! #!/bin/bash for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: indeed_1
6 Replies
cat(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cat(1)

Name
       cat - concatenate and print data

Syntax
       cat [ -b ] [ -e ] [ -n ] [ -s ] [ -t ] [ -u ] [ -v ] file...

Description
       The  command reads each file in sequence and displays it on the standard output.  Therefore, to display the file on the standard output you
       type:
       cat file
       To concatenate two files and place the result on the third you type:
       cat file1 file2 > file3
       To concatenate two files and append them to a third you type:
       cat file1 file2 >> file3
       If no input file is given, or if a minus sign (-) is encountered as an argument, reads from the standard input file.  Output is buffered in
       1024-byte blocks unless the standard output is a terminal, in which case it is line buffered.  The utility supports the processing of 8-bit
       characters.

Options
       -b   Ignores blank lines and precedes each output line with its line number.

-e   Displays a dollar sign ($) at the end of each output line.

-n   Precedes all output lines (including blank lines) with line numbers.

-s   Squeezes adjacent blank lines from output and single spaces output.

-t   Displays non-printing characters (including tabs) in output.  In addition to those representations used with the -v  option,  all  tab
	    characters are displayed as ^I.

-u   Unbuffers output.

-v   Displays  non-printing  characters (excluding tabs and newline) as the ^x.	If the character is in the range octal 0177 to octal 0241,
	    it is displayed as M-x. The delete character (octal 0177) displays as ^?.  For example, is displayed as ^X.

See Also
       cp(1), ex(1), more(1), pr(1), tail(1)

cat(1)