Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Perl error : perl: warning: Setting locale failed. Post 303005301 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 17th of October 2017 01:09:40 AM
Old 10-17-2017
I have no idea what LC__FASTMSG and LC_TYPE are (and I don't use perl much) and LC_MESSAGES should almost never be set to an empty string; but when LC_ALL has been set, it should override any values that have been assigned to LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME and LANG. Valid locale names on your system can be listed using the command:
Code:
locale -a

but en_US.UTF-8 is a valid locale on many UNIX systems. EN_US (rather than en_US) as a value for LANG looks suspicious, but as I said, with LC_ALL set, it shouldn't matter.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Locale setting

Hi, In the sample program, I am trying to print a Japanese string. The code is as follows: main() { setlocale(LC_ALL,""); printf("String is %S\n", L"JAP"); // Note "JAP" is a valid japanese string } If locale is C, the string gets printed, but if it a valid japanese locale, it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dippan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 8 locale setting

Hello does anybody know how to change the LC_TIME locale on solaris 8 to dd/mm/YYYY currently it is set to. #locale -ck LC_TIME d_fmt="%m/%d/%y" Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thangorn
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl rename failed

i have a file, which i want to rename, from my current directory to a backupdirectory. My perl code is below rename($s_filename,$backup.$s_filename ) all my variables are defined. but the rename failed. the file permission my file is "-rw-rw-r--". could this be a problem? I tried to use the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
9 Replies

4. Solaris

Sol 10 on SUN V490: Setting LOCALE

Hi all, We've upgraded/migrated our production server from Sol 9 on a Sun V480 to Sol 10 on a V490 server. How do I set/change the following values on Solaris 10: Solaris 9: $> locale LANG= LC_CTYPE=en_US.ISO8859-1 LC_NUMERIC=en_US.ISO8859-1 LC_TIME=en_US.ISO8859-1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dewets
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Setting a locale in Redhat ES 4

Hi, I am writing a shell script which would ask user to select a locale and should set the locale for them. In the script I am doing export LANG=<user selected locale> and i do 'locale' it would show me the changed locale. But, when I come out of the program and do 'locale' it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - setting a variable ?

hi there, I have a question about a snippet of code i have which runs localtime() to convert the current date/time into a mysql happy format my ($sec,$min,$hour,$mday,$mon,$year,$wday,$yday,$isdst)=localtime(time); printf "%4d-%02d-%02d ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting an Excel column as Text using perl

Hi, I am trying to generate an xls using perl .What is the syntax to format a column as a text? Thanks in advance reshkraj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reshkraj
1 Replies

8. Solaris

setting locale en_US.UTF-8

hi, I am using SOLARIS sparc 64 bit, during installation of Oracle i receive an error required OS locale en_US.UTF-8 does not exist on the installation computer. To avoid this issue, please ensure that the locale en_US.UTF-8 exists on the installation computer prior to installing Oracle. when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeeshan047
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting ENV variables in PERL

I have perl script and in the first line we are invoking .sh script to set ENV variables. e..g eval '. $envfile; exec $PERL -S $0 "$@"' I want to change some of the env variables while the program is running and I am settging it like this .. $ENV{ORACLE_HOME}=trim($oraclehome);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

10. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies
LOCALE.CONF(5)							    locale.conf 						    LOCALE.CONF(5)

NAME
locale.conf - Configuration file for locale settings SYNOPSIS
/etc/locale.conf DESCRIPTION
The /etc/locale.conf file configures system-wide locale settings. It is read at early boot by systemd(1). The basic file format of locale.conf is a newline-separated list of environment-like shell-compatible variable assignments. It is possible to source the configuration from shell scripts, however, beyond mere variable assignments, no shell features are supported, allowing applications to read the file without implementing a shell compatible execution engine. Note that the kernel command line options locale.LANG=, locale.LANGUAGE=, locale.LC_CTYPE=, locale.LC_NUMERIC=, locale.LC_TIME=, locale.LC_COLLATE=, locale.LC_MONETARY=, locale.LC_MESSAGES=, locale.LC_PAPER=, locale.LC_NAME=, locale.LC_ADDRESS=, locale.LC_TELEPHONE=, locale.LC_MEASUREMENT=, locale.LC_IDENTIFICATION= may be used to override the locale settings at boot. The locale settings configured in /etc/locale.conf are system-wide and are inherited by every service or user, unless overridden or unset by individual programs or individual users. Depending on the operating system, other configuration files might be checked for locale configuration as well, however only as fallback. /etc/vconsole.conf is usually created and updated using systemd-localed.service(8). localectl(1) may be used to alter the settings in this file during runtime from the command line. Use systemd-firstboot(1) to initialize them on mounted (but not booted) system images. OPTIONS
The following locale settings may be set using /etc/locale.conf: LANG=, LANGUAGE=, LC_CTYPE=, LC_NUMERIC=, LC_TIME=, LC_COLLATE=, LC_MONETARY=, LC_MESSAGES=, LC_PAPER=, LC_NAME=, LC_ADDRESS=, LC_TELEPHONE=, LC_MEASUREMENT=, LC_IDENTIFICATION=. Note that LC_ALL may not be configured in this file. For details about the meaning and semantics of these settings, refer to locale(7). EXAMPLE
Example 1. German locale with English messages /etc/locale.conf: LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 SEE ALSO
systemd(1), locale(7), localectl(1), systemd-localed.service(8), systemd-firstboot(1) systemd 237 LOCALE.CONF(5)