Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ACL confusion
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ACL confusion Post 303005223 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 15th of October 2017 11:52:22 PM
Old 10-16-2017
setfacl -dx [acl lists ] delete files/directories ACLs for the default (-d is default) (-x removes -X also removes)

Try reading the ACL man page first, then read the setfacl page -- links below. Based on your comments I think you may have gotten some wrong information. Make sure you understand what you are doing, create a dummy directory with some files - touch creates empty files. Play with your dummy directory and files FIRST before you trash something like the /usr directory tree irrevocably - and lose your system.

setfacl(1): set file access control lists - Linux man page
acl(5): Access Control Lists - Linux man page
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

ACL

Hi all, I've just been handled the responsibility for a FTP-site. Having no experiens of UNIX at all. And now one of my users needs to have full access to the usr directory and all it's subdirectories, don't know why just trying to do what the boss tells me. The type of UNIX is FreeBSD and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: -tri-
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL vs privileges

Hello genius..! what do y'all think of these questions...? help appreciated...! Access Control Lists and privileges.... # Why both file ACLs and user permissions/privileges (not to be confused with rights in ACLs) are used in Windows access control (why not just use one of these)? # In... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heroine
1 Replies

3. AIX

setting acl

Hi, I want to know how to set acl in aix via smitty and shell prompt, wheather we needs to install additional packages. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to create ACL

Hi, I generated a script that will create the list of dir/sub-dir and will allow to create the same on diff server. this is what i have done : #!/bin/ksh # Script to migrate the directory between the two servers. # Ver 0.1 # Author Krishna. D # c - create and e - extract directory if ;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishnadvn
1 Replies

5. Linux

ACL

Hi, I want to know what does the "effective" comment means in the output of the getfacl and whether it has to do with the acl mask... thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gartlar
0 Replies

6. Solaris

ACL

Can i get the synopsis for add multiple users in single command for ACL access for a directory or a file thanks in advance dinu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinu
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

When did HP-UX have support for ACL?

Hello, I try to find what year HP-UX got support for ACL (Access Control List)? I know that HP-UX was the first Unix with ACL support, but it is very hard to find the information on when that occured. So anyone here know when that did happen? Any answers are appreciated, /eXpander (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eXpander
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need assistance on ACL

Hi Friends, I went through the ACL threads that were posted in the past but none were matching to my requirement . Hence starting a new thread . Challenge : user : a group : Test1 user: b group: Test2 Say under user a i create dir /tmp/debug with the privilege of 755 and also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leobreaker
3 Replies
acl(2)																	    acl(2)

NAME
acl, facl - get or set a file's Access Control List (ACL) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/acl.h> int acl(char *pathp, int cmd, int nentries, void aclbufp); int facl(int fildes, int cmd, int nentries, void aclbufp); The acl() and facl() functions get or set the ACL of a file whose name is given by pathp or referenced by the open file descriptor fildes. The nentries argument specifies how many ACL entries fit into buffer aclbufp. The acl() function is used to manipulate ACL on file system objects. The following types are supported for aclbufp: aclent_t Used by the UFS file system. ace_t Currently unused. The following values for cmd are supported: SETACL nentries aclent_t ACL entries, specified in buffer aclbufp, are stored in the file's ACL. All directories in the path name must be searchable. GETACL Buffer aclbufp is filled with the file's aclent_t ACL entries. Read access to the file is not required, but all directo- ries in the path name must be searchable. GETACLCNT The number of entries in the file's aclent_t ACL is returned. Read access to the file is not required, but all directories in the path name must be searchable. ACE_SETACL nentries ace_t ACL entries, specified in buffer aclbufp, are stored in the file's ACL. All directories in the path name must be searchable. ACE_GETACL Buffer aclbufp is filled with the file's ace_t ACL entries. Read access to the file is not required, but all directories in the path name must be searchable. ACE_GETACLCNT The number of entries in the file's ace_t ACL is returned. Read access to the file is not required, but all directories in the path name must be searchable. Upon successful completion, acl() and facl() return 0 if cmd is SETACL. If cmd is GETACL or GETACLCNT, the number of ACL entries is returned. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. The acl() function will fail if: EACCES The caller does not have access to a component of the pathname. EFAULT The pathp or aclbufp argument points to an illegal address. EINVAL The cmd argument is not GETACL, SETACL, or GETACLCNT; the cmd argument is SETACL and nentries is less than 3; or the cmd argument is SETACL and the ACL specified in aclbufp is not valid. EIO A disk I/O error has occurred while storing or retrieving the ACL. ENOENT A component of the path does not exist. ENOSPC The cmd argument is GETACL and nentries is less than the number of entries in the file's ACL, or the cmd argument is SETACL and there is insufficient space in the file system to store the ACL. ENOSYS The cmd argument is SETACL and the file specified by pathp resides on a file system that does not support ACLs, or the acl() function is not supported by this implementation. ENOTDIR A component of the path specified by pathp is not a directory, or the cmd argument is SETACL and an attempt is made to set a default ACL on a file type other than a directory. ENOTSUP The cmd argument is GETACL, but the ACL is composed of ace_t entries, and the ACL cannot be translated into aclent_t form. The cmd is ACE_SETACL, but the underlying filesystem only supports ACLs composed of aclent_t entries and the ACL could not be translated into aclent_t form. EPERM The effective user ID does not match the owner of the file and the process does not have appropriate privilege. EROFS The cmd argument is SETACL and the file specified by pathp resides on a file system that is mounted read-only. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ getfacl(1), setfacl(1), aclcheck(3SEC), aclsort(3SEC) 9 Sep 2004 acl(2)