Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ACL confusion
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ACL confusion Post 303005176 by hburnswell on Saturday 14th of October 2017 05:56:01 PM
Old 10-14-2017
ACL confusion

All,

I am trying to clear ACL's completely from all files and folders in a directory. I can get the directories as cleared as:

Code:
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::rwx
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other::r-x

What ever I do I can't remove the defaults from the directories. I have traversed back up the directory tree to confirm that there are no visible (no + at the end of any directories) ACL's present, but still the same behavior. I run:

Code:
# setfacl -k <dir>

and still receive:

Code:
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::rwx
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other::r-x

Can anyone shed some light on what using the '-k' flag does nothing, or provide some guidance as to possibly a '-x' flag string that would remove the default settings?

Nothing I have tried has worked.

Thank in advance,

HB

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

ACL

Hi all, I've just been handled the responsibility for a FTP-site. Having no experiens of UNIX at all. And now one of my users needs to have full access to the usr directory and all it's subdirectories, don't know why just trying to do what the boss tells me. The type of UNIX is FreeBSD and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: -tri-
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL vs privileges

Hello genius..! what do y'all think of these questions...? help appreciated...! Access Control Lists and privileges.... # Why both file ACLs and user permissions/privileges (not to be confused with rights in ACLs) are used in Windows access control (why not just use one of these)? # In... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heroine
1 Replies

3. AIX

setting acl

Hi, I want to know how to set acl in aix via smitty and shell prompt, wheather we needs to install additional packages. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to create ACL

Hi, I generated a script that will create the list of dir/sub-dir and will allow to create the same on diff server. this is what i have done : #!/bin/ksh # Script to migrate the directory between the two servers. # Ver 0.1 # Author Krishna. D # c - create and e - extract directory if ;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishnadvn
1 Replies

5. Linux

ACL

Hi, I want to know what does the "effective" comment means in the output of the getfacl and whether it has to do with the acl mask... thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gartlar
0 Replies

6. Solaris

ACL

Can i get the synopsis for add multiple users in single command for ACL access for a directory or a file thanks in advance dinu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinu
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

When did HP-UX have support for ACL?

Hello, I try to find what year HP-UX got support for ACL (Access Control List)? I know that HP-UX was the first Unix with ACL support, but it is very hard to find the information on when that occured. So anyone here know when that did happen? Any answers are appreciated, /eXpander (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eXpander
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need assistance on ACL

Hi Friends, I went through the ACL threads that were posted in the past but none were matching to my requirement . Hence starting a new thread . Challenge : user : a group : Test1 user: b group: Test2 Say under user a i create dir /tmp/debug with the privilege of 755 and also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leobreaker
3 Replies
DPNS-SETACL(1)							DPNS User Commands						    DPNS-SETACL(1)

NAME
dpns-setacl - set DPNS directory/file access control lists SYNOPSIS
dpns-setacl [-d] [-m] [-s] acl_entries path... DESCRIPTION
dpns-setacl sets the Access Control List associated with a DPNS directory/file. acl_entries is a comma separated list of entries. Each entry has colon separated fields: ACL type, id (uid or gid), permission. Only direc- tories can have default ACL entries. The entries look like: user::perm user:uid:perm group::perm group:gid:perm mask:perm other:perm default:user::perm default:user:uid:perm default:group::perm default:group:gid:perm default:mask:perm default:other:perm The ACL type can be abbreviated to the first letter. The first "user" entry gives the permissions granted to the owner of the file. The following "user" entries show the permissions granted to specific users, they are sorted in ascending order of uid. The first "group" entry gives the permissions granted to the group owner of the file. The following "group" entries show the permissions granted to specific groups, they are sorted in ascending order of gid. The "mask" entry is the maximum permission granted to specific users or groups. It does not affect the "owner" and "other" permissions. The "mask" entry must be present if there are specific "user" or "group" entries. "default" entries associated with a directory are inherited as access ACL by the files or sub-directories created in that directory. The umask is not used. Sub-directories also inherit the default ACL as default ACL. As soon as there is one default ACL entry, the 3 default ACL base entries (default user, default group, default other) must be present. The entry processing conforms to the Posix 1003.1e draft standard 17. The effective user ID of the process must match the owner of the file or the caller must have ADMIN privilege in the Cupv database. path specifies the DPNS pathname. If path does not start with /, it is prefixed by the content of the DPNS_HOME environment variable. uid can be given as the username or the corresponding numeric id. gid can be given as the groupname or the corresponding numeric id. perm can be expressed as a combination of characters rwx- or as a value between 0 and 7. OPTIONS
-d remove ACL entries. The "perm" field is ignored. -m modify existing ACL entries or add new entries. -s set the ACL entries. The complete set of ACL entries is replaced. EXAMPLES
Let's create a directory: dpns-mkdir /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d6 and add write permission for user bcouturi: dpns-setacl -m u:bcouturi:rwx,m:rwx /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d6 Let's create a directory: dpns-mkdir /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d7 and add default ACLs to it: dpns-setacl -m d:u::7,d:g::7,d:o:5 /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d7 Let's check the resulting ACLs: dpns-getacl /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d7 # file: /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d7 # owner: baud # group: c3 user::rwx group::r-x #effective:r-x other::r-x default:user::rwx default:group::rwx default:other::r-x Let's create a sub-directory and check the resulting ACLs: dpns-mkdir /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d7/d2 dpns-getacl /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d7/d2 # file: /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d7/d2 # owner: baud # group: c3 user::rwx group::rwx #effective:rwx other::r-x default:user::rwx default:group::rwx default:other::r-x Let's create a file in the same directory and check the resulting ACLs: dpns-touch /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d7/f2 dpns-getacl /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d7/f2 # file: /dpm/dteam/test/file.log/d7/f2 # owner: baud # group: c3 user::rw- group::rw- #effective:rw- other::r-- EXIT STATUS
This program returns 0 if the operation was successful or >0 if the operation failed. SEE ALSO
Castor_limits(4), dpns_chmod(3), dpns_chown(3), Cupvlist(1) AUTHOR
LCG Grid Deployment Team DPNS
$Date: 2003/08/26 06:21:13 $ DPNS-SETACL(1)