Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error message during boot
Operating Systems SCO Error message during boot Post 303004905 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 10th of October 2017 02:51:26 PM
Old 10-10-2017
This might be relevant:

My system panics with "PANIC: exit cannot exec /etc/init (PID 1) status 9."

(Searched for OpenServer 5.0.7 "/etc/init died" on above knowledgebase"

You should be able to boot from CD/DVD and enter "maintenance mode". Then mount your hard disk root filesystem (on /mnt of the CD) and then take a look around.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghuber
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghuber
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error message

I am new to scripting. I am using the following script . BART.dat contains the string 'Y' . #!/bin/ksh cd /work/TCI/data_out file=`cat BART.dat` echo "$file" if ; then echo "true" fi When i am executing the above script i am getting the following error ./s.ksh: : not found ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

I keep getting an error message in a script im writing, this line is allways pointed out. if and this is the message i keep getting. line 32: [: 8: unary operator expected Whats wrong with it? Please Help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chapmana
5 Replies

6. SCO

stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot

hi SCO Unix 5.0.6 doesn't boot due to this problem: not a directory boot not found cannot open stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot Knows someone howto solve it? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
16 Replies

7. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies
PIVOT_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						     PIVOT_ROOT(8)

NAME
pivot_root - change the root filesystem SYNOPSIS
pivot_root new_root put_old DESCRIPTION
pivot_root moves the root file system of the current process to the directory put_old and makes new_root the new root file system. Since pivot_root(8) simply calls pivot_root(2), we refer to the man page of the latter for further details. Note that, depending on the implementation of pivot_root, root and cwd of the caller may or may not change. The following is a sequence for invoking pivot_root that works in either case, assuming that pivot_root and chroot are in the current PATH: cd new_root pivot_root . put_old exec chroot . command Note that chroot must be available under the old root and under the new root, because pivot_root may or may not have implicitly changed the root directory of the shell. Note that exec chroot changes the running executable, which is necessary if the old root directory should be unmounted afterwards. Also note that standard input, output, and error may still point to a device on the old root file system, keeping it busy. They can easily be changed when invoking chroot (see below; note the absence of leading slashes to make it work whether pivot_root has changed the shell's root or not). OPTIONS
-V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Change the root file system to /dev/hda1 from an interactive shell: mount /dev/hda1 /new-root cd /new-root pivot_root . old-root exec chroot . sh <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 umount /old-root Mount the new root file system over NFS from 10.0.0.1:/my_root and run init: ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up # for portmap # configure Ethernet or such portmap # for lockd (implicitly started by mount) mount -o ro 10.0.0.1:/my_root /mnt killall portmap # portmap keeps old root busy cd /mnt pivot_root . old_root exec chroot . sh -c 'umount /old_root; exec /sbin/init' <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1 SEE ALSO
chroot(1), pivot_root(2), mount(8), switch_root(8), umount(8) AVAILABILITY
The pivot_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux August 2011 PIVOT_ROOT(8)