Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error message during boot
Operating Systems SCO Error message during boot Post 303004901 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 10th of October 2017 02:16:48 PM
Old 10-10-2017
You say that you have a boot disk? Does the system have a floppy drive?

Usually, SCO systems have a 'boot' disk and a 'root' disk floppy. You start with a boot disk and then it prompts you to change to the root disk.

Initially I would definitely put the '-n' option on the fsck command to tell it whatever the question is, the answer is 'no'. That will prevent fsck making ANY changes to the root filesystem until you know how much it is damaged.
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

solaris boot problem boot error loading interpreter(misc/krtld)

When I installed the SOLARIS 10 OS first time, the desktop would not start up, this was because of network setup. Reinstalled worked. After a week due to some problem I had to reinstall OS, installation went fine and but when i reboot I get this error. cannot find mis/krtld boot error loading... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johncy_j
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghuber
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error message

Hi, My Solaris 5.8 system keeps getting this error at boot - "Can't set vol root to /vol" then /usr/sbin/vold: can't set vol root to /vol: Resource temporarily unavailiable Any idea what is wrong, and how do I fix it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ghuber
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error message

I am new to scripting. I am using the following script . BART.dat contains the string 'Y' . #!/bin/ksh cd /work/TCI/data_out file=`cat BART.dat` echo "$file" if ; then echo "true" fi When i am executing the above script i am getting the following error ./s.ksh: : not found ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error Message

I keep getting an error message in a script im writing, this line is allways pointed out. if and this is the message i keep getting. line 32: [: 8: unary operator expected Whats wrong with it? Please Help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chapmana
5 Replies

6. SCO

stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot

hi SCO Unix 5.0.6 doesn't boot due to this problem: not a directory boot not found cannot open stage 1 boot failure: error loading hd (40)/boot Knows someone howto solve it? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
16 Replies

7. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies
GRUB-INSTALL(8) 							FSF							   GRUB-INSTALL(8)

NAME
grub-install - install GRUB on your drive SYNOPSIS
grub-install [OPTION] install_device DESCRIPTION
Install GRUB on your drive. -h, --help print this message and exit -v, --version print the version information and exit --root-directory=DIR install GRUB images under the directory DIR instead of the root directory --grub-shell=FILE use FILE as the grub shell --no-floppy do not probe any floppy drive --force-lba force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy BIOS --recheck probe a device map even if it already exists INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename. grub-install copies GRUB images into the DIR/boot directory specfied by --root-directory, and uses the grub shell to install grub into the boot sector. The grub source distribution carries this script to ease the installation of grub as a boot loader. In Suse Linux however, grub installa- tion is much better handled by Yast; use of this script is generally discouraged and therefore unsupported. Consequently, the script has been renamed to grub-install.unsupported. In order to (re-)install grub for the currently running system, simply use Yast. For an installation aiming at a differing system, the crafting of an appropriate device.map and grub shell script is strongly advised, e.g. "grub --batch --device-map=target-device.map < tar- get-grub.conf" SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub-install is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-install programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-install should give you access to the complete manual. grub-install (GNU GRUB 0.97) May 2005 GRUB-INSTALL(8)