Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash function failing with [: too many arguments Post 303004894 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 10th of October 2017 12:17:15 PM
Old 10-10-2017
Wrong quoting.
The for loop actually needs to split on IFS that is set to : so $ourpath must not be in quotes.
The arguments in the following [ ] test should be quoted in general.
Code:
  8 for directory in $ourpath
  9 do
 10   if [ -x "$directory/$cmd" ] ; then

Not quoting the $ourpath bares a risk with special characters.
However, a IFS=: read line has the problem that the full line is read into line; splitting would take place with FS=: read field1 field2 but then you must know the number of fields, so you would need to split into an array, but arrays are a bit specific to bash or ksh...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sscanf function is failing

Please delete this thread. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

no of arguments to function in shell script

Hi, I have a function in shell script fun1{ echo "No.of arguments are..."} this function will be called in same script by passing arguments fun 1 2 3 I want to check the no. of arguments passed to fun1 function in the same functionbefore validation. can any one suggest me. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
2 Replies

3. Programming

Error: too many arguments to function 'sigwait'

#include <pthread.h> #include <signal.h> ... sigset_t mask; int err,signo; err=sigwait(&mask,&signo); switch(signo){ case SIGINT: ... } when I compile above code under solaris 10,it raise following error: error: too many arguments to function 'sigwait' I look up signal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: konvalo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat arguments to a function

Hi, I've a logging function in bourne shell, flog() which logs the first argument passed to it. How can I pass arguments to this function from a file, like cat filename | sed '...filtering...' | flog or cat filename | sed '...filtering...' | xargs flog Which did not work, after which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Random_Net
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Function not called when no arguments is passed

Hi Guys, I am trying to pass arguments to the script i am wrinting. When no argument is passed or wrong argument is passed, the script needs to output the way it needs to be called and exit. Currently, when no arguments is passed, it is not getting exited but goes on assuming those... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash read within function with arguments

I have trouble getting this logic to work #!/bin/bash function assign_var(){ while do read -p "$2 :" $3 done } assign_var '$IPADDRESS' ipaddress IPADDRESS Basicly, i want to make sure that entry is made (i can add more sophisticated checks later), but the idea is to recycle... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: serverchief
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to call a function with arguments

I need to call a function within a code with $database and $ service as the arguments How do I proceed ? and how would a function be defined and these two arguments would be used inside the function? calc_pref_avail $database $service Best regards, Vishal (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Invoke Function WithOut Non-Positional Arguments

Hello Everyone, Is there a way i can pass the arguments as parameters or variables instead of positional arguments to a function, below i am calling the function defined in a script. Call: notify "Error While Generating The List File: ${GEN_PARAM_LIST9} For Feed Data Validation Errors In... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ariean
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Regexp failing: unexpected token `('

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to bash scripting, so bear with me :) What I want to achieve is reading a file (.php), find the phrase 'WACHTWOORD' (password) in it, and collect the password and a part of the filename in a list. The filename is always 'settings_{name}.php' and the part I'm looking... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eggie01
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call same function using 2 different arguments

I have a script that uses 2 arguments. I want to call the function part within this script using these same arguments. Below is what I came up with below script so far, any guidance would be helpful. Thank you! cat backup.sh #!/bin/bash function usage { echo "USAGE: $(basename $0)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
6 Replies
XmDirection(library call)												 XmDirection(library call)

NAME
XmDirection -- Data type for the direction of widget components SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/Xm.h> DESCRIPTION
XmDirection is the data type specifying the direction in which the system displays subwidgets, children of widgets, or other visual compo- nents that are to be laid out. This data type also affects traversal order within tab groups. XmDirection is implemented as an unsigned char bit mask. The horizontal and vertical directions can be specified independent of each other. XmDirection also specifies the precedence of the horizontal and vertical directions relative to each other. For example, a value of XmRIGHT_TO_LEFT_TOP_TO_BOTTOM lays out a component horizontally from right to left first, then vertically top to bottom. XmDirection provides the following masks, each of which corresponds to a particular bit in XmDirection: o XmRIGHT_TO_LEFT_MASK o XmLEFT_TO_RIGHT_MASK o XmTOP_TO_BOTTOM_MASK o XmBOTTOM_TO_TOP_MASK o XmPRECEDENCE_HORIZ_MASK o XmPRECEDENCE_VERT_MASK In addition to the preceding single bit masks, XmDirection also provides the following multiple bit masks. These multiple bit masks are particularly useful as arguments to XmDirectionMatchPartial: o XmHORIZONTAL_MASK o XmPRECEDENCE_MASK o XmVERTICAL_MASK Motif also provides the following enumerated constants for specifying various combinations of directions: XmRIGHT_TO_LEFT_TOP_TO_BOTTOM Specifies that the components are laid out from right to left first, then top to bottom. XmLEFT_TO_RIGHT_TOP_TO_BOTTOM Specifies that the components are laid out from left to right first, then top to bottom. XmRIGHT_TO_LEFT_BOTTOM_TO_TOP Specifies that the components are laid out from right to left first, then bottom to top. XmLEFT_TO_RIGHT_BOTTOM_TO_TOP Specifies that the components are laid out from left to right first, then bottom to top. XmTOP_TO_BOTTOM_RIGHT_TO_LEFT Specifies that the components are laid out from top to bottom first, then right to left. XmTOP_TO_BOTTOM_LEFT_TO_RIGHT Specifies that the components are laid out from top to bottom first, then left to right. XmBOTTOM_TO_TOP_RIGHT_TO_LEFT Specifies that the components are laid out from bottom to top first, then right to left. XmBOTTOM_TO_TOP_LEFT_TO_RIGHT Specifies that the components are laid out from bottom to top first, then left to right. XmTOP_TO_BOTTOM Specifies that the components are laid out from top to bottom. If horizontal direction is important, do not use this constant. XmBOTTOM_TO_TOP Specifies that the components are laid out from bottom to top. If horizontal direction is important, do not use this constant. XmDEFAULT_DIRECTION Specifies that the components are laid out according to the default direction. (This constant is primarily for widget writers.) XmLEFT_TO_RIGHT Specifies that the components are laid out from left to right. If vertical direction is important, do not use this constant. XmRIGHT_TO_LEFT Specifies that the components are laid out from right to left. If vertical direction is important, do not use this constant. RELATED
XmDirectionMatch(3), XmDirectionMatchPartial(3), XmDirectionToStringDirection(3), XmString(3), XmStringDirection(3), and XmStringDirection- ToDirection(3). XmDirection(library call)