Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path Post 303004792 by jcdole on Monday 9th of October 2017 07:12:03 AM
Old 10-09-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubler_XL
rsync has no concept of hidden files and processes both files identically for me.

See my testing transcript below where both files copied OK:

Code:
$ A_FULL_PATH_D="home/install_user/.some_dir/some_file"
$ A_FULL_PATH_S="backup_sys/¬001_INSTALL/¬100_ETC_and_USER_MODIFIED_FILES/2017_10_06_22h30/${A_FULL_PATH_D}"
$ mkdir -p $(dirname $A_FULL_PATH_D $A_FULL_PATH_S)
$ touch $A_FULL_PATH_S
$ rsync -av --include=".*" "$A_FULL_PATH_S"  "$A_FULL_PATH_D"
sending incremental file list
some_file

sent 112 bytes  received 35 bytes  294.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

$ A_FULL_PATH_D="home/install_user/.some_dir/.some_file"
$ A_FULL_PATH_S="backup_sys/¬001_INSTALL/¬100_ETC_and_USER_MODIFIED_FILES/2017_10_06_22h30/${A_FULL_PATH_D}"
$ touch $A_FULL_PATH_S
$ rsync -av --include=".*" "$A_FULL_PATH_S"  "$A_FULL_PATH_D"
sending incremental file list
.some_file

sent 113 bytes  received 35 bytes  296.00 bytes/sec
total size is 0  speedup is 0.00

$ find $(dirname $A_FULL_PATH_D) -type f -print
home/install_user/.some_dir/.some_file
home/install_user/.some_dir/some_file

There were a typo error in my definition of the destination path.

Any way thank you very much for taking time to help me.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recursive copy of hidden files

I need to know how to copy hidden files recursively? cp -r sourceDir/* targetDir/. ignores the hidden files. Thank you!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: usfrog
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to copy hidden files from one folder to another

dear all, i want to copy all files in my home dir to another. from my home dir i have given ls -la then some hidden files are there with dot . .. and i also want to copy all dirs in my home as it is . because iam upgrading the system how to copy all files and dirs in my home dir... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to rsync or tar directory trees, with hidden directory, but without files?

I want to backup all the directory tress, including hidden directories, without copying any files. find . -type d gives the perfect list. When I tried tar, it won't work for me because it tars all the files. find . -type d | xargs tar -cvf a.tar So i tried rsync. On my own test box, the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fld2007
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hidden files

I usually use ls -al | awk '{sum = sum + $5} END {print sum}' to sum the size of all files in a directory. However this command includes the hidden files. Is there a command to just add up all the files/sub-directories excluding the hidden files (begins with . and ..) I wanted to check the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not visible hidden folder

Hi, In one folder there is a hidden folder. Whenever i do any ls -a i can't see the folder. However i can get into the folder by cd .foldername. Would you please help me to identify what is the problem here. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all directories hidden or not hidden

I want to list all directories hidden or not hidden. ls -ld */ => shows only not hidden directories so i guess the answer would be to add the a option to show all files ls -lad */ => not working :confused: ls -la | grep "^d" => works But I would like to know why I can't use ls -lad... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: servus
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy down remote files and rename them to include the server name with full path

I need to pull down a good bit of files for another support team for an upgrade project. I have a server.list with all of the server names. I need to do two parts: FIRST: I have this example, but it does not list the server name in front of each line. #! /bin/bash for server in $(<... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnatlas
10 Replies

9. AIX

Copy to Windows hidden share

Hi, I need to find a solution for backing up/transferring BACKUP (dump file) from AIX (specifically) to Windows 2012 Hidden Share. The vendor says that he cannot do a copy from his system to hidden share because it requires a password... Personally, I think that there should be a solution... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pob579
9 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)