Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Script to monitor progress of find/exec command Post 303004577 by robertkwild on Wednesday 4th of October 2017 03:54:10 PM
Old 10-04-2017
thanks rbatte1, i will try xargs

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Monitor a progress bar using separate threads

I need to look at sample codes or programs that monitor a task using separate threads in Unix and C. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryphelon
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command exec error

Hi All, i am writing a shell script in korn shell which deletes all the files in a directory once in every 10DAYS. the directory has different format files. the script has something like this; cd /home/data/pavi echo "Please Enter the Number of Days to search for" read DAYS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find command with prune and exec

Hi, I'm using the following command to get a list of files on the system. find /releases -type f -exec ls -l > /home/sebarry/list.txt '{}' \; however, its searching a directory I don't want it to search so I know I have to use prune but I don't seem to be able to get prune and exec to work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebarry
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi People, I have a directory full of compressed files (.Z extention) In many of these files there is a string pattern (3800078163033) I want to find all file names which contain this string in their text. Regards, Abhishek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max29583
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What does the '\' in find -exec command

Hi, I have two scripts that remove files. One works fine and is coded find -name "syst*" -mtime +1 -exec rm {} \; The other is almost the same - only thing missing is the '\'. On that script though I keep getting: rm syst1202.file ? etc Does the \ make that difference or is it a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and move command with exec

Hi all, I am trying to find files newer than a given file and them mv them to a new location. So I far I have: find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec ls -l {} \; and find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec mv /TEMP_LOCATION {} \; find is not liking this. Anyone know how to modify the last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
2 Replies

8. Programming

Bash script - find command with delete and exec

hi all, i have devised a script that starts in /restored/ and in there, there are a lot of sub folders called peoples names and in the sub folders are files/folders and it deletes the data in the sub folders BUT not the sub folder itself and it should then touch a file in all the sub folders... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
IP-MONITOR(8)							       Linux							     IP-MONITOR(8)

NAME
ip-monitor, rtmon - state monitoring SYNOPSIS
ip monitor [ all | LISTofOBJECTS ] DESCRIPTION
The ip utility can monitor the state of devices, addresses and routes continuously. This option has a slightly different format. Namely, the monitor command is the first in the command line and then the object list follows: ip monitor [ all | LISTofOBJECTS ] OBJECT-LIST is the list of object types that we want to monitor. It may contain link, address and route. If no file argument is given, ip opens RTNETLINK, listens on it and dumps state changes in the format described in previous sections. If a file name is given, it does not listen on RTNETLINK, but opens the file containing RTNETLINK messages saved in binary format and dumps them. Such a history file can be generated with the rtmon utility. This utility has a command line syntax similar to ip monitor. Ide- ally, rtmon should be started before the first network configuration command is issued. F.e. if you insert: rtmon file /var/log/rtmon.log in a startup script, you will be able to view the full history later. Certainly, it is possible to start rtmon at any time. It prepends the history with the state snapshot dumped at the moment of starting. SEE ALSO
ip(8) AUTHOR
Original Manpage by Michail Litvak <mci@owl.openwall.com> iproute2 20 Dec 2011 IP-MONITOR(8)