Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Copy files in order of creation date Post 303004365 by Yoda on Saturday 30th of September 2017 12:03:21 PM
Old 09-30-2017
I don't think a delay is required after each copy. But if you want to put a delay of 3 seconds, use sleep command:-
Code:
cp "$file" ./destination/; sleep 3;

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files based on creation date

Howdy, I'm trying to figure out how to move multiple files based on their creation date. If anyone can enlighten me it would be most appreciated!! Thanks! :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgoyea
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list of files in date order

Im on HP/UX and am trying to find the command like an ll but that will sort showing the most currently modified programs first. Can anyone help me with that? :cool: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeannine
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I organize a series of files in date order?

I'd like to ls a group of files in date order but I'm not sure what the commands would be. Can anyone help with this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hedgehog001
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Order files by create date

hi Is there a way to sort files in the order they were created ,and move them to another directory one by one ,oldest being the first to be moved. Thanks Arif (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mab_arif16
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files by date and moving files in date order

I need to build a k shell script that will sort files in a directory where files appear like this "XXXX_2008021213.DAT. I need to sort by date in the filename and then move files by individual date to a working folder. concatenate the files in the working folder then start a process once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebel64
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming files by changing date order

I'm looking for a simple solution to rename a batch of files. All of the files in this directory start with a date in the format mm.dd.yy followed by a space and then additional descriptive text. Example: 01.21.10 742 P.xlsx 02.24.09 730 Smith.xlsx The information following the date can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kreisel
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy files based on creation timestamp

Dear friends.. I have the below listing of files under a directory in unix -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 263349631 Jun 1 11:18 CDLD_20110603032055.xml -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 267918241 Jun 1 11:21 CDLD_20110603032104.xml -rw-r--r-- 1 abc abc 257672513 Jun 3 10:41... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy creation date over top of modified date?

Can someone draw up a script that for every file, folder and subfolder and files that will copy the creation date over top of the modified date?? I know how to touch every file recursively, but no idea how to read a files creation date then use that to touch the modification date of that file,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toysareforboys
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash directory loop and order by creation date?

Hello, how in bash i can get directory loop and order by creation date? THX! :) #!/bin/bash for folder in /home/test/* do if ; then echo $folder; fi (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZerO13
12 Replies
SLEEP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							  SLEEP(3)

NAME
sleep - sleep for the specified number of seconds SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> unsigned int sleep(unsigned int seconds); DESCRIPTION
sleep() makes the calling thread sleep until seconds seconds have elapsed or a signal arrives which is not ignored. RETURN VALUE
Zero if the requested time has elapsed, or the number of seconds left to sleep, if the call was interrupted by a signal handler. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. BUGS
sleep() may be implemented using SIGALRM; mixing calls to alarm(2) and sleep() is a bad idea. Using longjmp(3) from a signal handler or modifying the handling of SIGALRM while sleeping will cause undefined results. SEE ALSO
alarm(2), nanosleep(2), signal(2), signal(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2010-02-03 SLEEP(3)