Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Are certifications worth it?
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Are certifications worth it? Post 303004346 by drysdalk on Friday 29th of September 2017 05:32:11 PM
Old 09-29-2017
Hi,

I have no Linux/UNIX certifications, though I do have a degree in Computing Science. The funny thing is that the degree basically turned out to be useless, for me anyway. I realised very early on that what I wanted to do was sysadmin rather than dev work, and a comp sci degree in the 1990s was purely focussed on hardware and software engineering. The landscape for University-level sysadmin stuff is far better now, but was nonexistent then.

What I did learn from though was the part-time job I had while at Uni, which was doing weekend and evening customer support for a small local Internet Service Provider. The guy who started the company had a DEC background, so most of the Web, e-mail and FTP kit were VAXen running VMS, with a smattering of MIPS boxes running Ultrix for NNTP and a few SPARCstations for RADIUS authentication. So it was a really great place to pick up the basics of all kinds of things. And it was what I learned there that got me my first proper full-time sysadmin job rather than the degree, no question.

As it happens I too had an MS certification forced upon me - I had to get an MCP in Windows Server 2003 ten years ago so that our company had its quota of certified staff for its Gold Partner certification. My job had for years involved a pretty even mix of *nix and Windows senior sysadmin work, which is why I was one of the people picked to go and sit the exam for the thing since the outcome was pretty much a foregone conclusion. I can't say my MCP was totally useless to me though - I ended up keeping the little laminated proof-of-MCP card in our car, so my wife could use it to scrape ice off the windscreen on cold mornings.

So personally, I value experience first and foremost, and any certifications, degrees or other qualifications come second. If two candidates were both sitting at the top of the pile then the certifications could be a decider in a tie-break, certainly. But for me, it's all about the experience rather than the paperwork.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX certifications

Are there any nationally recognized UNIX certifications, similar to A+., for basic unix and system admin skills? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pacsman
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Unix certifications

Hi all, I'm new to this forum also to unix, but eager to learn unix. Can any one gimme the certifications/exams available to validate our unix strengths. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarang
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What Certifications to be done in UNIX

Hello I am a newbie i learnt Shell programming and Unix Internals.Well plz advice me what certifications i shud do as i have free time and want to utilize my time :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: strawberry
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Certifications in Unix?

Guys, I just want information abt certifications available for unix. If they exist can anyone give some info them. Making clear I am pointing to developer level exams, not admin side. Thanks, Sharif.S (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharifhere
0 Replies

5. AIX

Aix Certifications

Hi , I want to know aix certifications,How to perepare for that ?How many number of papers are there? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Certifications

Hi All, Can anybody let me know if there is any Unix certification course which will provide basically programming in Unix. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
4 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Certifications on Unix and Linux

hi there :) I will study the Linux LPI certification in a few months What do u think about it? Is this certification good enough to work with solaris too actually? I´m not sure because i think is more oriented to linux, and solaris as far as i know, is based on UNix. What else can i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andriusman
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

HP-UX Certifications

Hi, I am planning to get certified on HP-UX. I googled about HPUX Certifications. I understand that I need to pass on exam HP0-A01 but I find many references to HP0-095. I bought this book: HP-UX: HP Certification Systems Administrator, Exam HP0-A01 - Training Guide and Administrator's... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: psicopunk
16 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Certifications in Linux

Hi , I am working in Perl/Shell Script for past 3 years.I am planning to learn and switch my Career as Linux Admin.So Please suggest some certifications to learn about it.Do we have separate sub categories/area of specifications in Linux Admin ? Like Virtualization ,Vmware,storage. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ajaytts123
0 Replies
GnuPG::Revoker(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       GnuPG::Revoker(3pm)

NAME
GnuPG::Revoker - GnuPG Key Revoker Objects SYNOPSIS
# assumes a GnuPG::PrimaryKey object in $key my $revokerfpr = $key->revokers->[0]->fingerprint(); DESCRIPTION
GnuPG::Revoker objects are generally not instantiated on their own, but rather as part of GnuPG::Key objects. They represent a statement that another key is designated to revoke certifications made by the key in question. OBJECT METHODS
new( %initialization_args ) This methods creates a new object. The optional arguments are initialization of data members. is_sensitive() Returns 0 if the revoker information can be freely distributed. If this is non-zero, the information should be treated as "sensitive". Please see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880#section-5.2.3.15 for more explanation. compare( $other, $deep ) Returns non-zero only when this designated revoker is identical to the other GnuPG::Revoker. If $deep is present and non-zero, the revokers' signatures will also be compared. OBJECT DATA MEMBERS
fingerprint A GnuPG::Fingerprint object indicating the fingerprint of the specified revoking key. (Note that this is *not* the fingerprint of the key whose signatures can be revoked by this revoker). algo_num The numeric identifier of the algorithm of the revoker's key. signatures A list of GnuPG::Signature objects which cryptographically bind the designated revoker to the primary key. If the material was instantiated using the *_with_sigs() functions from GnuPG::Interface, then a valid revoker designation should have a valid signature associated with it from the relevant key doing the designation (not from the revoker's key). Note that designated revoker certifications are themselves irrevocable, so there is no analogous list of revocations in a GnuPG::Revoker object. SEE ALSO
GnuPG::Interface, GnuPG::Fingerprint, GnuPG::Key, GnuPG::Signature, http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880#section-5.2.3.15 <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880#section-5.2.3.15> perl v5.12.4 2010-06-07 GnuPG::Revoker(3pm)