Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Column to row and position data in a text file Post 303004293 by RudiC on Friday 29th of September 2017 04:31:42 AM
Old 09-29-2017
Again, there are some bits missing, and both input (I understand the explicatory text, but the space remains) and desired output are different from post#1.
- Still, you didn't answer where the "Zzzz" comes from, and this can't be derived from your code. Is it a string constant?
- Is that file ALWAYS 7 lines, and the "rules" would be "bring line 7 to the top, adding a constant, then print lines 1 and 4, 2 & 5, and 3 & 6, each separated by comma and a space, but the trailing comma needs to be removed"?
- Do we need to check for text or numeric?

Last edited by RudiC; 09-29-2017 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: Misread the input file; reduced No. of lines to 7.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the column for a row in a text file and adding another row

Hi, I want to write a shell script which increments a particular column in a row from a text file and then adds another row below the current row with the incremented value . For Eg . if the input file has a row : abc xyz lmn 89 lm nk o p I would like the script to create something like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aYankeeFan
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert row data to column data

Hi Guys, I have a file as follows: a 1 b 786 c 90709 d 99 a 9875 b 989 c 887 d 111 I want: a 1 9875 b 786 989 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

row to column and position data in to fixed column width

Dear friends, Below is my program and current output. I wish to have 3 or 4 column output in order to accomodate in single page. i do have subsequent command to process after user enter the number. Program COUNT=1 for MYDIR in `ls /` do VOBS=${MYDIR} echo "${COUNT}. ${MYDIR}" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving data from a specified column/row to another column/row

Hello, I have an input file like the following: 11_3_4 2_1_35 3_15__ _16989 Where '_' is a space. The data is in a table. Is there a way for the program to prompt the user for x1,y1 and x2,y2, where x1,y1 is the desired number (for example x=6 y=4 is a value of 4) and move to a desired spot... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you delete cells from a space delimited text file given row and column number?

How do you delete cells from a space delimited text file given row and column number? Letś say the row number is r and the column number is c. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a the file & refine data column & row format

cat file1.txt field1 "user1": field2:"data-cde" field3:"data-pqr" field4:"data-mno" field1 "user1": field2:"data-dcb" field3:"data-mxz" field4:"data-zul" field1 "user2": field2:"data-cqz" field3:"data-xoq" field4:"data-pos" Now i need to have the date like below. i have just... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckaramsetty
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert column data to row data using shell script

Hi, I want to convert a 3-column data to 3-row data using shell script. Any suggestion in this regard is highly appreciated. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sktkpl
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding a column to a text file with row numbers

Hi, I would like to add a new column containing the row numbers to a text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! Example input: A X B Y C D Output: A X 1 B Y 2 C D 3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to print first row with forth column and last row with fifth column in each file

file with this content awk 'NR==1 {print $4} && NR==2 {print $5}' file The error is shown with syntax error; what can be done (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print every alternate column in row in a text file

Hi, I have a comma separated file. I would like to print every alternate columns into a new row. Example input file: Name : John, Age : 30, DOB : 30-Oct-2018 Example output: Name,Age,DOB John,30,30-Oct-2018 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lini
3 Replies
PR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     PR(1)

NAME
pr - print file SYNOPSIS
pr [ option ... ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Pr produces a printed listing of one or more files on its standard output. The output is separated into pages headed by a date, the name of the file or a specified header, and the page number. With no file arguments, pr prints its standard input. Options apply to all following files but may be reset between files: -n Produce n-column output. +n Begin printing with page n. -b Balance columns on last page, in case of multi-column output. -d Double space. -en Set the tab stops for input text every n spaces. -h Take the next argument as a page header (file by default). -in Replace sequences of blanks in the output by tabs, using tab stops set every n spaces. -f Use formfeeds to separate pages. -ln Take the length of the page to be n lines instead of the default 66. -m Print all files simultaneously, each in one column. -n Number the lines of each file. -on Offset the left margin n character positions. -sc Separate columns by the single character c instead of aligning them with white space. A missing c is taken to be a tab. -t Do not print the 5-line header or the 5-line trailer normally supplied for each page. -wn For multi-column output, take the width of the page to be n characters instead of the default 72. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/pr.c SEE ALSO
cat(1), lp(1) PR(1)