Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Contents deleted from /var/sadm Post 303004268 by drysdalk on Thursday 28th of September 2017 04:33:23 PM
Old 09-28-2017
Hi,

That's good, that you at least have something that can take over while you do a re-build. In terms of repairing this - I'm not myself aware of a way of doing that, sadly. The problem is that the information about installed packages and patches only lives in /var/sadm, and if it's gone, it's gone. With all the files actually being totally gone rather than corrupt or otherwise experiencing a problem, I'm not aware of any way to re-build /var/sadm, since it is itself the database that keeps note of what's happened to the system. Since there is no other record, there's nothing to re-build from, if you follow.
This User Gave Thanks to drysdalk For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/sadm/install

Hi, can I delete the file install in /var/sadm directory because I do not need. Regard TDS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tinfoul
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleted /var/adm/sw/patch

I am on a HP-UX 11.0 machine and I deleted '/var/adm/sw/patch'. I realize now what a mistake this was. Since doing this I can no longer export display to remotely view netscape. At this point, what are my options for recovering the 'patch' directory? I don't have a backup. Any help would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucesean
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accidentally remove the contents of /var/sadm/pkg

Hi all, I carelessly remove the contents of /var/sadm/pkg. I do not have any backup of the folder. What can I do ? Thanks a lot. :eek: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: stancwong
11 Replies

4. Solaris

Directory should not be deleted, But the contents can be

Hi Guys, I have an user's home directory set to /home/A And A contains the following directories B & C Is there some way in solaris by which i can prevent the directories B and C from getting deleted by the user but the contents of the directories B & C can be deleted ? Also i have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: localhost
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolving Var to its contents

Hello everyone.... I am trying to dinamically create variable names and do resolution of this vars contents. After that is done I want to use (via a function call) the var and its contents by referring to it via the variable name. I am having a hard time achieving this .... can you help ? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Content of /var/sadm/pkc/<pkg>/save directory

Hi, What are the contents of /var/sadm/pkg/<pkg>/save directory. - It contains various patches with their id's. What does the "pspool" directory inside it contain? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Lost /var/sadm/install/contents file and /var/sadm/pkg

Hello, I recently found that my /var/sadm/install/contents, ~/admin/default, /var/spool/patch and /var/spool/pkg files were empty. This broke the pkginfo, pkgchk and other package related tools. The pkgmap no longer points to where the applications have been installed. I have replaced the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronin42
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Cleaning out /var/sadm/patch after Live Upgrade

I recently upgraded my OS to Solaris 10 10/09 from Solaris 10 06/06 using Live Upgrade. I wanted to clean up space in /var/sadm/patch. I'm assuming the server is now clean with a fresh version of Solaris 10 10/09. Can I safely remove everything in /var/sadm/patch? Thanks, jeremy (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: griff11
0 Replies

9. Solaris

/var/adm & /var/sadm

what is the difference between tha /var/adm and /var/sadm files in solaris 10 Os please can any one respond quickly thanking you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wkbn86
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accidently deleted /usr contents.

Hi I have the following code which was supposed to clean up a directory when the number of files in that directory exeeded 2.The code is given below. #!/usr/bin/ksh dir_num=`/usr/bin/find /var/.audit -type d | /usr/bin/wc -l` if then oldest_file=`/usr/bin/ls -1t | /usr/bin/tail... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: chacko193
19 Replies
BBACKUPD-CONFIG(8)						    Box Backup							BBACKUPD-CONFIG(8)

NAME
bbackupd-config - Box Backup client daemon configuration file generator SYNOPSIS
bbackupd-config config-dir backup-mode account-num server-hostname working-dir backup-dir [backup-dir ...] DESCRIPTION
The bbackupd-config script creates configuration files and client certificates. It takes at least six parameters: config-dir Configuration directory. Usually /etc/box. backup-mode Either lazy or snapshot. account-num The client account number. This is set by the bbstored administrator. server-hostname The hostname or IP address of the bbstored server. working-dir A directory to keep temporary state files. This is usually something like /var/bbackupd. This can be changed in bbackupd.conf later on if required. backup-dir A space-separated list of directories to be backed up. Note that this does not traverse mount points. FILES
/etc/box/bbackupd.conf /etc/box/bbackupd/NotifySysAdmin.sh SEE ALSO
bbackupd.conf(5), bbackupd(8), bbackupctl(8) AUTHORS
Ben Summers Per Thomsen James O'Gorman Box Backup 0.11 10/28/2011 BBACKUPD-CONFIG(8)