Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check the IP:PORT firewall uses? Post 303004017 by mohtashims on Monday 25th of September 2017 09:15:38 AM
Old 09-25-2017
Hammer & Screwdriver

1. I thought every running process including firewall process has to have a socket [IP Port] associated with it.

Not sure if firewall process was excluded from the rule, becoz the firewall process port does not show up no matter what.

This makes me believe that there can be processes like firewalld that can run without acquiring a port ? Interesting but some new concept to me.

2. Also, from @Chubler_XL's statement I understand that there is no way to remotely monitor the firewall like we monitor SMTP [port 25] or SSH [port 22].

Are both my understanding correct ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

how can i check if port is busy or if someone is using it ?

Hello i have application that using ports , how can i check if the port im using is not captured by any applications? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to open SSH port on firewall?

Hi, So that potential responders will have an idea of what they're dealing with let me say that while I am a UNIX newbie I have been in IT for over 10 years. We have several SUN boxes running ver 5 of the OS that have been sitting dormant for some time as they were part of a now defunct... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjewett
3 Replies

3. Linux

can ping without firewall; no port 631

Well, since I wrote the below, I've learned a little more about Samba, and got them to at least acknowledge each other. Still can't use Gaurd dog. Still cant print from one to the other. I'm learning I'm learning I recently installed mepis 7 on both my laptop and laptop. (I came... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sonshyne5
0 Replies

4. Linux

using firewall to block port

Hi, I will like to allow access to the mysql port (3306) to certain IP address. All other IP's should be automatically blocked. What is the best way to do this? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you check whether a port currently being used?

Hi, Please help me out, how to check whether a port currently being used or not. is there any command which give the result? Thanks Rajesh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajesh08
6 Replies

6. IP Networking

Is there any way to add an exception for a port in the firewall setting, permanently?

Hello, I want to add a port in the firewall exception list so that my application can be accessed over network even if firewall is disabled. I am using iptables command to add exception. The problem is, after setting the rule if I change the firewall setting i.e. on/off then it is overwriting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senrooy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Firewall Check Script

Hello, I made a following script that check every 5 minutes to check firewall is running or not, if firewall down that raise an alert only once, but following script generate an alert every 5 minutes according to cronjob: FILE="/var/log/fwstatus" CHK="/tmp/fwstatus" service... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: telnor
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rsync port and firewall

hi guys I doing some collocation for a customer, customer requested to use other port for ssh not the default one. OK no problem and customer will be using rsync to sync backups among other things I know we have to open port let's say port 5999 for ssh since we are using that one now but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Good way to check firewall port on Linux centos 7

Hi, I need to know what kind of firewall settings does the linux box have? Is port 25 blocked in any way? Linux techx 3.10.0-514.10.2.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 3 00:04:05 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I'm coming from this thread. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to open firewall port for external traffic.

Below is what i did to open the firewall port on # sudo firewall-cmd --zone=public --add-port=27012/tcp --permanent Warning: ALREADY_ENABLED: 27012:tcp success # sudo firewall-cmd --reload success # firewall-cmd --list-all public target: default icmp-block-inversion: no ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies
fwb_ipfw(1)							 Firewall Builder						       fwb_ipfw(1)

NAME
fwb_ipfw - Policy compiler for ipfw SYNOPSIS
fwb_ipfw [-vVx] [-d wdir] [-o output.fw] [-i] -f data_file.xml object_name DESCRIPTION
fwb_ipfw is a firewall policy compiler component of Firewall Builder (see fwbuilder(1)). This compiler generates code for ipfw - a firewall and traffic shaper in FreeBSD (see ipfw(8)). Compiler reads objects definitions and firewall description from the data file specified with "-f" option and generates firewall configuration and activation script. The generated file has a name that starts with the name of the firewall object, with an extension ".fw". It is a shell script that flushes current policy, then loads new filter and nat rules. The data file and the name of the firewall objects must be specified on the command line. Other command line parameters are optional. OPTIONS
-f FILE Specify the name of the data file to be processed. -o output.fw Specify output file name -d wdir Specify working directory. Compiler creates firewall activation script in this directory. If this parameter is missing, then all files will be placed in the current working directory. -v Be verbose: compiler prints diagnostic messages when it works. -V Print version number and quit. -i When this option is present, the last argument on the command line is supposed to be firewall object ID rather than its name -x Generate debugging information while working. This option is intended for debugging only and may produce lots of cryptic messages. NOTES
Support for ipfw was added in version 1.0.10 of Firewall Builder URL
Firewall Builder home page is located at the following URL: http://www.fwbuilder.org/ BUGS
Please report bugs using bug tracking system on SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=5314&atid=105314 SEE ALSO
fwbuilder(1), fwb_ipt(1), fwb_pf(1) fwb_ipf(1) FWB
fwb_ipfw(1)