Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To test whether a field contains string value Post 303003904 by Sang on Friday 22nd of September 2017 11:47:29 AM
Old 09-22-2017
Pipe delimter.Tried to get that specific field value
Code:
cut -d "|" -f 26 filename | head

From the above I found 10 values with all numbers . File is huge . With Grep I have to specify all characters But I don't that way .I just want a command to check whether characters are available in this field . Based on this I will decide it's datatype.

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 09-22-2017 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string test?

hey guys- what is the syntax for a string test to verify that a user has entered a 6 digit numeric? Thanks for your help in advance! Todd (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

test a string...

Hi! I'm using echo $string | grep "" -c to test in a script if a string is a number and it seems to work. But how can i find, for example, if a string is a four figures number ? Thanks to all! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kaminski
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string test in IF statement

How do I test multiple words in a string test like below: if ] then print "You entered $TBS name.\n" else print "You entered an incorrect response.\n" fi This test does not work. I have tried different syntax versions. How does this work? And is there a better way to do it? ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Search text string in field, not all in field.

Hello, I am using awk to match text in a tab separated field and am able to do so when matching the exact word. My problem is that I would like to match any sequence of text in the tab-separated field without having to match it all. Any help will be appreciated. Please see the code below. awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

string test

How do I use bash to test if a line begins with a random number of spaces followed by a letter? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

test for a blank string

Hi guys I am performing a simple test for a blank string with the following code: if ] ]] ; then echo "Blanks are NOT a valid input " return 1 fi The above fails giving a syntax error message: syntax error at line 142 : `=~' unexpected I am in ksh88 is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

9. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller::Value::Callback(3pm)	User Contributed Perl Documentation	  WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller::Value::Callback(3pm)

NAME
WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller::Value::Callback - Call Perl code to fill out a HTML form field SYNOPSIS
use WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller; use WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller::Value::Callback; my $f = WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller->new(); # Create a default value for the HTML field "login" # This will put the current login name into the login field sub find_login { getlogin || getpwuid($<) || "Kilroy"; }; my $login = WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller::Value::Callback->new( login => &find_login ); $f->add_value( login => $login ); # Alternatively take the following shorthand, which adds the # field to the list as well : # "If there is no password, put a nice number there my $password = $f->add_filler( password => Callback => sub { int rand(90) + 10 } ); DESCRIPTION
This class provides a way to write a value returned by Perl code into a HTML field. new NAME, CODE Creates a new value which will correspond to the HTML field "NAME". The "CODE" is a code reference that will return the value to be written into the HTML field. The code reference will be called with two parameters, the object and the HTML::Form::Input object. name [NEWNAME] Gets and sets the name of the HTML field this value corresponds to. value FIELD Returns the value to put into the HTML field. EXPORT None by default. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Copyright (C) 2002,2003 Max Maischein AUTHOR
Max Maischein, <corion@cpan.org> Please contact me if you find bugs or otherwise improve the module. More tests are also very welcome ! SEE ALSO
WWW::Mechanize, WWW::Mechanize::Shell, WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller, WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller::Value::Value, WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller::Value::Default, WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller::Value::Random, WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller::Value::Interactive perl v5.10.1 2009-04-24 WWW::Mechanize::FormFiller::Value::Callback(3pm)