Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To test whether a field contains string value Post 303003900 by ctsgnb on Friday 22nd of September 2017 11:09:56 AM
Old 09-22-2017
Please provide an example of representative input file, field, field separator, and by the way, what did you try so far ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

string test?

hey guys- what is the syntax for a string test to verify that a user has entered a 6 digit numeric? Thanks for your help in advance! Todd (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

test a string...

Hi! I'm using echo $string | grep "" -c to test in a script if a string is a number and it seems to work. But how can i find, for example, if a string is a four figures number ? Thanks to all! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kaminski
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

string test in IF statement

How do I test multiple words in a string test like below: if ] then print "You entered $TBS name.\n" else print "You entered an incorrect response.\n" fi This test does not work. I have tried different syntax versions. How does this work? And is there a better way to do it? ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: djehresmann
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk Search text string in field, not all in field.

Hello, I am using awk to match text in a tab separated field and am able to do so when matching the exact word. My problem is that I would like to match any sequence of text in the tab-separated field without having to match it all. Any help will be appreciated. Please see the code below. awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocket_dog
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

string test

How do I use bash to test if a line begins with a random number of spaces followed by a letter? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

test for a blank string

Hi guys I am performing a simple test for a blank string with the following code: if ] ]] ; then echo "Blanks are NOT a valid input " return 1 fi The above fails giving a syntax error message: syntax error at line 142 : `=~' unexpected I am in ksh88 is there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

9. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
deb-origin(5)							      Debian							     deb-origin(5)

NAME
deb-origin - Vendor-specific information files SYNOPSIS
/etc/dpkg/origins/filename DESCRIPTION
The files in /etc/dpkg/origins can provide information about various vendors who are providing Debian packages. They contain a number of fields, or comments when the line starts with '#'. Each field begins with a tag, such as Vendor or Parent, followed by a colon and the body of the field. Fields are delimited only by field tags. In other words, field text may be multiple lines in length, but the tools will join lines when processing the body of the field. REQUIRED FIELDS
Vendor: vendor-name The value of this field determines the vendor name. OPTIONAL FIELDS
Vendor-URL: vendor-url The value of this field determines the vendor URL. Bugs: bug-url The value of this field determines the type and address of the bug tracking system used by this vendor. It can be a mailto URL or a debbugs URL (e.g., debbugs://bugs.debian.org/). Parent: vendor-name The value of this field determines the vendor name of the vendor that this vendor derives from. EXAMPLE
Vendor: Debian Vendor-URL: http://www.debian.org/ Bugs: debbugs://bugs.debian.org SEE ALSO
dpkg-vendor(1) Debian Project 2011-11-10 deb-origin(5)