Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to identify user?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to identify user? Post 303003802 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 21st of September 2017 01:17:03 AM
Old 09-21-2017
What does
Code:
grep ^passwd: /etc/nsswitch.conf

produce?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

identify hardware

Does anyone know a good script/tool for remote identification of hardware on a linux-based system (RH9/NLD) ? I'd like to know all the specifics like amount of memory, motherboard vendor, chipset and so on.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrickb
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

identify function

Does anyone know a shell command that identifies the functions from a C file? Thank you (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xinfinity
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify User Machine name?

Hi Experts, We 4 to 5 people are using same UNIX(Solaris) login for our testing purpose. Also we are doing some modifications to existing scripts. Is it possible to know the each user machine (IP address or machine name) who are using the same login to modify the scripts. So that we can... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
12 Replies

4. AIX

to identify failed pv

Hi friends,.... am sindhiya, i have joined as AIX level 1 support. help me to identify the failed pv in vg which has some 4 physical volumes? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sindhiya
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To identify process

i want a command to display all the process running for partical user and in all process i want to see only particular process details.. pls suggest comand like ps -ef (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Babu154
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify root like user.

Hi All, I wanted to know if there is any way , in which a user could be identified. I need to diffrenciate between a root user and a root like user. Thanks! nua7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Determining if user is local-user in /etc/passwd or LDAP user

Besides doing some shell-script which loops through /etc/passwd, I was wondering if there was some command that would tell me, like an enhanced version of getent. The Operating system is Solaris 10 (recent-ish revision) using Sun DS for LDAP. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify script please!

Have a script that I'm trying to adapt for something else, but I do not understand the following lines. Can anyone help? I know what expr does, `expr 8 + 2`, but: FILENAME=`expr //$FILE : '.*/\(.*\)'` UNPACKDIR=`echo $FILE | sed -e s/$FILENAME//g` Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bound4h
6 Replies

9. AIX

Identify User Attributes

SOS Guys... Is there any way to determine the user attributes, mainly if that userid is set as never expire? I do not have admin rights, and I'm working on AIX 5.3 I've tried : lsuser -f <username> but no luck on that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freakygs
2 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

Please help identify these user account

Please help me identify these user accounts.. bin, lp, nuucp, smbnull, mysql, tftp Can we remove these user or disable these users?We have to apply the security policy about the user identification.Since it was settup by our vendor long time ago. We do not have these informations about these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdstkg
3 Replies
SHADOW(5)							File Formats Manual							 SHADOW(5)

NAME
shadow - encrypted password file DESCRIPTION
shadow contains the encrypted password information for user's accounts and optional the password aging information. Included is Login name Encrypted password Days since Jan 1, 1970 that password was last changed Days before password may be changed Days after which password must be changed Days before password is to expire that user is warned Days after password expires that account is disabled Days since Jan 1, 1970 that account is disabled A reserved field The password field must be filled. The encryped password consists of 13 to 24 characters from the 64 character alphabet a thru z, A thru Z, 0 thru 9, . and /. Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. The date of the last password change is given as the number of days since Jan 1, 1970. The password may not be changed again until the proper number of days have passed, and must be changed after the maximum number of days. If the minimum number of days required is greater than the maximum number of day allowed, this password may not be changed by the user. An account is considered to be inactive and is disabled if the password is not changed within the specified number of days after the pass- word expires. An account will also be disabled on the specified day regardless of other password expiration information. This information supercedes any password or password age information present in /etc/passwd. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. FILES
/etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - encrypted user passwords SEE ALSO
chage(1), login(1), passwd(1), su(1), passwd(5), pwconv(8), pwunconv(8), sulogin(8) AUTHOR
Julianne Frances Haugh (jockgrrl@ix.netcom.com) SHADOW(5)