Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash - proper way to append variable to stderr Post 303003601 by MadeInGermany on Sunday 17th of September 2017 02:34:07 AM
Old 09-17-2017
If you have single lines in a loop you do not need another loop within
Code:
for i in {1..8} ; do ls -al file$i 2> >( read line; echo "$(date): ${line}" >> error.log ) ; done

It is more efficient to have two loops indeed, but one after the other
Code:
for i in {1..8} ; do ls -al file$i; done 2> >( while read line; do echo "$(date): ${line}"; done >> error.log )

where error.log is written in one stream, so you have the option > error.log
And in the case of date, if its output does not change much, one can store it in a variable first, and several time refer to the variable.
Code:
date=$(date); for i in {1..8} ; do ls -al file$i; done 2> >( while read line; do echo "${date}: ${line}"; done >> error.log )

Code:
for i in {1..8} ; do ls -al file$i; done 2> >( date=$(date); while read line; do echo "${date}: ${line}"; done >> error.log )

Last edited by MadeInGermany; 09-17-2017 at 03:54 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stderr to dev/null in bash env.

Working in a bash environment, in the following example, how do I direct the error message that putting in an invalid flag (-j for example) would normally produce to dev/null? while getopts "abcd" opt do case "$opt" in i) a etc ;; r) b etc ;; f) c etc ;; v) d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't redirect stderr in bash

Consider: #!/bin/sh #this is a shell script in sh (bourne) grep missingfile 2>errout.txt It works from the command line, but keeps producing errors from the script. So how do I redirect in a bash shell...or bourne? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to a file from within a bash script

I am trying to redirect the output from stderr to a log file from within a bash script. the script is to long to add 2> $logfile to the end of each command. I have been trying to do it with the command exec 2> $logfile This mostly works. Unfortunately, when a read command requires that anything be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vockleya
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can STDERR be saved to a variable

Guys i'm trying to save STDERR to a variable for a portion of my ksh script on solaris. I know i can create redirects to files as such: exec 4>/tmp/lava print "This will be saved to /tmp/lava and not screen"; >&4 print "This will be seen on screen" >&2 I want to save the STDOUT of a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavascript
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append stderr

Hi everybody. I was used to redirect stderr to a file in this way, calling a generic script:./myScript &> output.logBut now I need something more sophisticated...Inside a bash script I launch an executable in this way:${command} >> "${globalLogFile}"So I redirect the stdout into globalLogFile.... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: canduc17
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh, bash, and /dev/stderr: no such device

Hello, When I run the following program: ssh 192.168.1.4 bash -l <<EOF > echo foo >/dev/stderr > EOF I get the following confusing error. bash: line 1: /dev/stderr: No such device or address Does anyone know why and how to fix it? I'm capturing stdout in a variable, but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brsett
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the STDERR to a variable in perl?

in my perl script i tried the below statement $result = `cleartool rmstream -f $s1 1> /dev/null`; so as to redirect then error messages,when i print the $result ,it seems to be Null. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram_unx
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] how is proper way to validate user input

hi all, i have a script that need user input provide all variables that needed to complete a job. this is my current script: echo "type file source and it full path :" read INPUTFILE if || ; then echo "ERROR: you didn't enter a file source or file source is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Proper distribution of cards in terminal based crazy8's game in bash script

When I run the following script at the bottom it say cards remaining=44...It should be=35. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've spent hours trying to get this to work and I can't go any further until this part works. thank you in advance Cogiz #!/bin/bash # Date="November, 2016" #... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect string from bash stderr to user stdin

Hi there, I need to execute a command in the bash. The program prints some standard (output and) error and then wants the user to choose one of several options and type the according input. I am trying to solve this issue in a bash script but also running into some circular dependency. How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredestet
7 Replies
DATETIME.SETISODATE(3)							 1						    DATETIME.SETISODATE(3)

DateTime::setISODate - Sets the ISO date

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
public DateTime DateTime::setISODate (int $year, int $week, [int $day = 1]) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style DateTime date_isodate_set (DateTime $object, int $year, int $week, [int $day = 1]) Set a date according to the ISO 8601 standard - using weeks and day offsets rather than specific dates. PARAMETERS
o $object -Procedural style only: A DateTime object returned by date_create(3). The function modifies this object. o $year - Year of the date. o $week - Week of the date. o $day - Offset from the first day of the week. RETURN VALUES
Returns the DateTime object for method chaining or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | Changed the return value on success from NULL to | | | DateTime. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 DateTime.setISODate(3) example Object oriented style <?php $date = new DateTime(); $date->setISODate(2008, 2); echo $date->format('Y-m-d') . " "; $date->setISODate(2008, 2, 7); echo $date->format('Y-m-d') . " "; ?> Procedural style <?php $date = date_create(); date_isodate_set($date, 2008, 2); echo date_format($date, 'Y-m-d') . " "; date_isodate_set($date, 2008, 2, 7); echo date_format($date, 'Y-m-d') . " "; ?> The above examples will output: 2008-01-07 2008-01-13 Example #2 Values exceeding ranges are added to their parent values <?php $date = new DateTime(); $date->setISODate(2008, 2, 7); echo $date->format('Y-m-d') . " "; $date->setISODate(2008, 2, 8); echo $date->format('Y-m-d') . " "; $date->setISODate(2008, 53, 7); echo $date->format('Y-m-d') . " "; ?> The above example will output: 2008-01-13 2008-01-14 2009-01-04 Example #3 Finding the month a week is in <?php $date = new DateTime(); $date->setISODate(2008, 14); echo $date->format('n'); ?> The above examples will output: 3 SEE ALSO
DateTime.setDate(3), DateTime.setTime(3). PHP Documentation Group DATETIME.SETISODATE(3)