Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding an example of perl map() function Post 303003551 by Corona688 on Friday 15th of September 2017 03:01:58 PM
Old 09-15-2017
You know what? When I execute this, it does return the ".trim" part. So that's one mystery solved. That trimming is either done before or after perl.

Code:
$ perl -e 'print "gene_id\t", join("\t", map {/(.*)\//; $1} @ARGV),"\n";' 1_test.trim/level.csv
gene_id 1_test.trim

$

This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl map doubt

Hello , Please can someone tell me what exactly happens when the below filehandler is chomped into an array and later mapped. $lcpLog="logcopy\@".getTimestamp."\log"; open CFg ,"< $lcpcfg"; chomp(@cfg = <CFG>); close CFG; @cfg=grep { $_ ne ' ' } map { lc + (split /\s*\/\//) }... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmv
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for understanding a function

There is a function called start: start() { echo -n $"Sending Startup Email: " echo "${RESTARTBODY}" | mutt -s "${RESTARTSUBJECT}" ${EMAIL} RETVAL=$? if ; then touch ${LOCKFILE} success else failure fi echo return ${RETVAL} } Can anyone explain what the bold part of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and map in perl

Hi guys, I'm trying to learn grep and map and having a little problem. Let's say I have a file which contains: Apple: abcdcabdadddbac I want to replace any combinations of three of abcd, thus when I do this: print grep {s/{3}/X/g} <F>; # will do the subtitution fine, output XXXX ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new bie
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to map the values of an array in perl?

Hi, I have 2 arrays: @names=qw(amith veena chaitra); @files=qw(file.txt file1.txt file3.txt); There is one to one relationship between names and files. There needs to be mapping created between names and files. The output should be like this: amith --> file.txt veena --->... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding some Perl code.

Well, I found myself trying to fix some Perl code (Ive never done any Perl in my life) and I pinpointed the place where the bug could be. But to be sure I have to know what does a few line of code mean: $files_lim =~ (/^\d*$/) $files_lim =~ (/^\d*h$/) $files_age =~ s/h// The code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding thread in perl

Hi all, I am trying to build threads which will go to localhost and list the files in given folder. #!/usr/bin/perl use threads; my $t1 = threads->new(\&sub1, 1); my $t2 = threads->new(\&sub2, 2); push(@threads,$t1); push(@threads,$t2); foreach... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PranavEcstasy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping in Perl based on defined keys in Map

Hello All, I am writing the below script where it will connect to database and returns the results. #!/sw/gcm/perl510/bin/perl use SybaseC; &openConnection; &loadvalues; sub openConnection { $dbproc = new SybaseC(SYDB}, $ENV{DBDFLTUSR}, $ENV{DBDFLTPWD}); if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding a function

Hello, I recently started going in depth with the shell, so I started learning from Linux Shell Scripting CookBook, 2nd edition. I am at the first chapter atm, and the author tells to define a function in the ~/.bashrc. The function is below. prepend() { && eval $1=\"$2':'\$$1\" && export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vaseer
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl combine multiple map statements

I have a file like file. file.TODAY.THISYEAR file.TODAY.LASTYEARI want to substitute the words in caps with their actual values so that output should look like file.140805 file.140805.2014 file.140805.2013For this I am reading the file line bye line in an array and using multiple map... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with (Understanding) function

I have this code #!/bin/bash LZ () { RETVAL="\n$(date +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S) --- " return RETVAL } echo -e $LZ"Test" sleep 3 echo -e $LZ"Test" which I want to use to make logentrys on my NAS. I expect of this code that there would be output like 2017-03-07_11-00-00 --- Test (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrois
4 Replies
Text::Trim(3pm) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   Text::Trim(3pm)

NAME
Text::Trim - remove leading and/or trailing whitespace from strings VERSION
version 1.02 SYNOPSIS
use Text::Trim; $text = " important data "; $data = trim $text; # now $data contains "important data" and $text is unchanged # or: trim $text; # work in-place, $text now contains "important data" @lines = <STDIN>; rtrim @lines; # remove trailing whitespace from all lines # Alternatively: @lines = rtrim <STDIN>; # Or even: while (<STDIN>) { trim; # Change $_ in place # ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides functions for removing leading and/or trailing whitespace from strings. It is basically a wrapper around some simple regexes with a flexible context-based interface. EXPORTS
All functions are exported by default. CONTEXT HANDLING
void context Functions called in void context change their arguments in-place trim(@strings); # All strings in @strings are trimmed in-place ltrim($text); # remove leading whitespace on $text rtrim; # remove trailing whitespace on $_ No changes are made to arguments in non-void contexts. list context Values passed in are changed and returned without affecting the originals. @result = trim(@strings); # @strings is unchanged @result = rtrim; # @result contains rtrimmed $_ ($result) = ltrim(@strings); # like $result = ltrim($strings[0]); scalar context As list context but multiple arguments are stringified before being returned. Single arguments are unaffected. This means that under these circumstances, the value of $" ($LIST_SEPARATOR) is used to join the values. If you don't want this, make sure you only use single arguments when calling in scalar context. @strings = (" hello ", " there "); $trimmed = trim(@strings); # $trimmed = "hello there" local $" = ', '; $trimmed = trim(@strings); # Now $trimmed = "hello, there" $trimmed = rtrim; # $trimmed = $_ minus trailing whitespace Undefined values If any of the functions are called with undefined values, the behaviour is in general to pass them through unchanged. When stringifying a list (calling in scalar context with multiple arguments) undefined elements are excluded, but if all elements are undefined then the return value is also undefined. $foo = trim(undef); # $foo is undefined $foo = trim(undef, undef); # $foo is undefined @foo = trim(undef, undef); # @foo contains 2 undefined values trim(@foo) # @foo still contains 2 undefined values $foo = trim('', undef); # $foo is '' FUNCTIONS
trim Removes leading and trailing whitespace from all arguments, or $_ if none are provided. rtrim Like trim() but removes only trailing (right) whitespace. ltrim Like trim() but removes only leading (left) whitespace. UNICODE
Because this module is implemented using perl regular expressions, it is capable of recognising and removing unicode whitespace characters (such as non-breaking spaces) from scalars with the utf8 flag on. See Encode for details about the utf8 flag. Note that this only applies in the case of perl versions after 5.8.0 or so. SEE ALSO
Brent B. Powers' String::Strip performs a similar function in XS. AUTHOR
Matt Lawrence <mattlaw@cpan.org> ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Terrence Brannon <metaperl@gmail.com> for bringing my attention to String::Strip and suggesting documentation changes. perl v5.10.1 2010-06-07 Text::Trim(3pm)