Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX.com response times
Contact Us Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators UNIX.com response times Post 303003549 by Corona688 on Friday 15th of September 2017 02:48:18 PM
Old 09-15-2017
It's usually blazing fast for me, honestly. I've never seen anything but minute or two intervals of slow performance, then back to fast the majority of the time.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

feasibility of opening a website link from unix and get a response in the form of xml or html

i just wanted to know whether is it possible to open a website link and get a response in the form of xml or html format... the website is of local network... for example something like this wget http://blahblah.samplesite.com/blachblahcblach/User/jsp/ShowPerson.jsp?empid=123456 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

3. Red Hat

Response Times

Hello all. Let me qualify my question by saying that I am struggling with how to ask the question I am semi green but have no issue reading up if pointed in the right direction. Please be gentle! A RHEL server 6.2. Hosts a statistical application that has some web apps and batch programming... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
0 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Changing Times at UNIX.COM

Over the past year, I have written so much code at UNIX.COM, I've gained 4 KGs just sitting at my desk and not exercising! However, it seems that "no good deed goes unpunished" and not only have I sacrificed my health (gaining weight, not exercising as much), but there is also my family who is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Choosing VPN server based on server response times

Hello all, I am using the VPN provider Private Internet Access. I am using the Raspberry Pi 4 with 4GB of RAM, performance on this upgraded board is great. Anyways I am connecting to its service using systemd's openvpn-client @ US_New_York_City.service I wonder if I can create a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: haloslayer255
5 Replies
TIMECOUNTERS(4) 					   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					   TIMECOUNTERS(4)

NAME
timecounters -- kernel time counters subsystem SYNOPSIS
The kernel uses several types of time-related devices, such as: real time clocks, time counters and event timers. Real time clocks are responsible for tracking real world time, mostly when the system is down. Time counters are responsible for tracking purposes, when the sys- tem is running. Event timers are responsible for generating interrupts at a specified time or periodically, to run different time-based events. This page is about the second. DESCRIPTION
Time counters are the lowest level of time tracking in the kernel. They provide monotonically increasing timestamps with known width and update frequency. They can overflow, drift, etc and so in raw form can be used only in very limited performance-critical places like the process scheduler. More usable time is created by scaling the values read from the selected time counter and combining it with some offset, regularly updated by tc_windup() on hardclock() invocation. Different platforms provide different kinds of timer hardware. The goal of the time counters subsystem is to provide a unified way to access that hardware. Each driver implementing time counters registers them with the subsystem. It is possible to see the list of present time counters, via the kern.timecounter sysctl(8) variable: kern.timecounter.choice: TSC-low(-100) HPET(950) i8254(0) ACPI-fast(900) dummy(-1000000) kern.timecounter.tc.ACPI-fast.mask: 16777215 kern.timecounter.tc.ACPI-fast.counter: 13467909 kern.timecounter.tc.ACPI-fast.frequency: 3579545 kern.timecounter.tc.ACPI-fast.quality: 900 kern.timecounter.tc.i8254.mask: 65535 kern.timecounter.tc.i8254.counter: 62692 kern.timecounter.tc.i8254.frequency: 1193182 kern.timecounter.tc.i8254.quality: 0 kern.timecounter.tc.HPET.mask: 4294967295 kern.timecounter.tc.HPET.counter: 3013495652 kern.timecounter.tc.HPET.frequency: 14318180 kern.timecounter.tc.HPET.quality: 950 kern.timecounter.tc.TSC-low.mask: 4294967295 kern.timecounter.tc.TSC-low.counter: 4067509463 kern.timecounter.tc.TSC-low.frequency: 11458556 kern.timecounter.tc.TSC-low.quality: -100 The output nodes are defined as follows: kern.timecounter.tc.X.mask is a bitmask, defining valid counter bits, kern.timecounter.tc.X.counter is a present counter value, kern.timecounter.tc.X.frequency is a counter update frequency, kern.timecounter.tc.X.quality is an integral value, defining the quality of this time counter compared to others. A negative value means this time counter is broken and should not be used. The time management code of the kernel chooses one time counter from that list. The current choice can be read and affected via the kern.timecounter.hardware tunable/sysctl. SEE ALSO
attimer(4), eventtimers(4), ffclock(4), hpet(4) BSD
April 12, 2014 BSD