Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding an example of perl map() function Post 303003544 by Corona688 on Friday 15th of September 2017 01:36:11 PM
Old 09-15-2017
map is confusing because it's actually a kind of loop. $1 is the bracketed part of /(.*)\// in this context.

The whole thing means, "For each item in @ARGV[N], do { /(.*)\//; output[N]=$1 }"

Then the whole thing is crammed into a "join" which returns them tab-separated.

I have no idea why it removes the ".trim", the .*\/ is a regex meaning "several of any character, followed by a forward slash". It just stops at the last forward slash in the string ( not the first, because of greedy matching. )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl map doubt

Hello , Please can someone tell me what exactly happens when the below filehandler is chomped into an array and later mapped. $lcpLog="logcopy\@".getTimestamp."\log"; open CFg ,"< $lcpcfg"; chomp(@cfg = <CFG>); close CFG; @cfg=grep { $_ ne ' ' } map { lc + (split /\s*\/\//) }... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmv
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for understanding a function

There is a function called start: start() { echo -n $"Sending Startup Email: " echo "${RESTARTBODY}" | mutt -s "${RESTARTSUBJECT}" ${EMAIL} RETVAL=$? if ; then touch ${LOCKFILE} success else failure fi echo return ${RETVAL} } Can anyone explain what the bold part of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep and map in perl

Hi guys, I'm trying to learn grep and map and having a little problem. Let's say I have a file which contains: Apple: abcdcabdadddbac I want to replace any combinations of three of abcd, thus when I do this: print grep {s/{3}/X/g} <F>; # will do the subtitution fine, output XXXX ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new bie
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to map the values of an array in perl?

Hi, I have 2 arrays: @names=qw(amith veena chaitra); @files=qw(file.txt file1.txt file3.txt); There is one to one relationship between names and files. There needs to be mapping created between names and files. The output should be like this: amith --> file.txt veena --->... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding some Perl code.

Well, I found myself trying to fix some Perl code (Ive never done any Perl in my life) and I pinpointed the place where the bug could be. But to be sure I have to know what does a few line of code mean: $files_lim =~ (/^\d*$/) $files_lim =~ (/^\d*h$/) $files_age =~ s/h// The code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

understanding thread in perl

Hi all, I am trying to build threads which will go to localhost and list the files in given folder. #!/usr/bin/perl use threads; my $t1 = threads->new(\&sub1, 1); my $t2 = threads->new(\&sub2, 2); push(@threads,$t1); push(@threads,$t2); foreach... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PranavEcstasy
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping in Perl based on defined keys in Map

Hello All, I am writing the below script where it will connect to database and returns the results. #!/sw/gcm/perl510/bin/perl use SybaseC; &openConnection; &loadvalues; sub openConnection { $dbproc = new SybaseC(SYDB}, $ENV{DBDFLTUSR}, $ENV{DBDFLTPWD}); if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding a function

Hello, I recently started going in depth with the shell, so I started learning from Linux Shell Scripting CookBook, 2nd edition. I am at the first chapter atm, and the author tells to define a function in the ~/.bashrc. The function is below. prepend() { && eval $1=\"$2':'\$$1\" && export... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vaseer
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl combine multiple map statements

I have a file like file. file.TODAY.THISYEAR file.TODAY.LASTYEARI want to substitute the words in caps with their actual values so that output should look like file.140805 file.140805.2014 file.140805.2013For this I am reading the file line bye line in an array and using multiple map... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with (Understanding) function

I have this code #!/bin/bash LZ () { RETVAL="\n$(date +%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S) --- " return RETVAL } echo -e $LZ"Test" sleep 3 echo -e $LZ"Test" which I want to use to make logentrys on my NAS. I expect of this code that there would be output like 2017-03-07_11-00-00 --- Test (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrois
4 Replies
TRIM(3) 								 1								   TRIM(3)

trim - Strip whitespace (or other characters) from the beginning and end of a string

SYNOPSIS
string trim (string $str, [string $character_mask = " 0r B"]) DESCRIPTION
This function returns a string with whitespace stripped from the beginning and end of $str. Without the second parameter, trim(3) will strip these characters: o " " (ASCII 32 ( 0x20)), an ordinary space. o " " (ASCII 9 ( 0x09)), a tab. o " " (ASCII 10 ( 0x0A)), a new line (line feed). o " " (ASCII 13 ( 0x0D)), a carriage return. o "" (ASCII 0 ( 0x00)), the NUL-byte. o "x0B" (ASCII 11 ( 0x0B)), a vertical tab. PARAMETERS
o $str - The string that will be trimmed. o $character_mask - Optionally, the stripped characters can also be specified using the $character_mask parameter. Simply list all characters that you want to be stripped. With .. you can specify a range of characters. RETURN VALUES
The trimmed string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Usage example of trim(3) <?php $text = " These are a few words :) ... "; $binary = "x09Example stringx0A"; $hello = "Hello World"; var_dump($text, $binary, $hello); print " "; $trimmed = trim($text); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = trim($text, " ."); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = trim($hello, "Hdle"); var_dump($trimmed); $trimmed = trim($hello, 'HdWr'); var_dump($trimmed); // trim the ASCII control characters at the beginning and end of $binary // (from 0 to 31 inclusive) $clean = trim($binary, "x00..x1F"); var_dump($clean); ?> The above example will output: string(32) " These are a few words :) ... " string(16) " Example string " string(11) "Hello World" string(28) "These are a few words :) ..." string(24) "These are a few words :)" string(5) "o Wor" string(9) "ello Worl" string(14) "Example string" Example #2 Trimming array values with trim(3) <?php function trim_value(&$value) { $value = trim($value); } $fruit = array('apple','banana ', ' cranberry '); var_dump($fruit); array_walk($fruit, 'trim_value'); var_dump($fruit); ?> The above example will output: array(3) { [0]=> string(5) "apple" [1]=> string(7) "banana " [2]=> string(11) " cranberry " } array(3) { [0]=> string(5) "apple" [1]=> string(6) "banana" [2]=> string(9) "cranberry" } NOTES
Note Possible gotcha: removing middle characters Because trim(3) trims characters from the beginning and end of a string, it may be confusing when characters are (or are not) removed from the middle. trim('abc', 'bad') removes both 'a' and 'b' because it trims 'a' thus moving 'b' to the beginning to also be trimmed. So, this is why it "works" whereas trim('abc', 'b') seemingly does not. SEE ALSO
ltrim(3), rtrim(3), str_replace(3). PHP Documentation Group TRIM(3)