Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matching column value from 2 different file using awk and append value from different column Post 303003472 by RudiC on Thursday 14th of September 2017 07:51:12 AM
Old 09-14-2017
Code:
awk -F\" '                                      # set field sep. to "
        {for (i=2; i<=NF; i+=2) \               # in every second (= inside quotes) field
         gsub (/,/, "\001", $i)                 # replace the comma with ^A (a placeholder)
        }
1                                               # print the modified line
' OFS=\" file2 |                                # set output field sep. to " (important!)
awk -F',' '                                     # set FS to comma
NR==FNR {a[$2] = $1                             # save $1 (text to append) to array indexed by $2
         next                                   # stop processing the actual line; goto next
        }
        {print $0, a[$2] }                      # print file2's line, followed by the app. txt, if exists 
' - file1 |                                     # work on input stream, i.e. stdin ("-", piped in) and file1
awk -F\" '                                      # undo comma replacements as in step 1
        {for (i=2; i<=NF; i+=2) \
                 gsub ("\001", ",", $i)
        }
' OFS=\"

This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Need help replacing a specific column in a file by part of a column in another file

Hi, I have two input files as File1 : ABC:client1:project1 XYZ:client2-aa:project2 DEF:client4:proj File2 : client1:W-170:xx client2-aa:WT-04:yy client4:L-005A:zz Also, array of valid values can be hardcoded like Output : ABC:W:project1 XYZ:WT:project2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aa2601
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append column and row header to a file in awk script.

Hi! Is there a way to append column and row header to a file in awk script. For example if I have Jane F 39 manager Carlos M 40 system administrator Sam F 20 programmer and I want it to be # name gend age occup 1 Jane F 39 manager 2 Carlos M ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append column using awk/nawk

Is there any way I can achieve this? Considering test1 : a 1 2 3 4 b 2 3 4 5 c 12 1232 14 1 d 10 13 4 5 e 1 5 6 9 1 And test to be some string : qw twe tew we qw I want something like this : a 1 2 qw 4 b 2 3 twe 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aksijain
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with matching column 1 value, retain only the one with highest value in column 2

I have a file like: I would like to find lines lines with duplicate values in column 1, and retain only one based on two conditions: 1) keep line with highest value in column 3, 2) if column 3 values are equal, retain the line with the highest value in column 4. Desired output: I was able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk or grep the last column in file when date on column contains spaces?

Hi have a large spreadsheet which has 4 columns APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96034 Storage Mgmt Team APM00111803814 server_2 96152 GWP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solution for replacement of 4th column with 3rd column in a file using awk/sed preserving delimters

input "A","B","C,D","E","F" "S","T","U,V","W","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","EEEE","FFF" required output: "A","B","C,D","C,D","F" "S", T","U,V","U,V","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","CC,DD","FFF" tried using awk but double quotes not preserving for every field. any help to solve this is much... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khblts
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching column then append to existing File as new column

Good evening I have the below requirements, as I am not an experts in Linux/Unix and am looking for your ideas how I can do this. I have file called file1 and file2. I need to get the second column which is text1_random_alphabets and find that in file 2, if it's exists then print the 3rd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mychbears
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to Sum columns when other column has duplicates and append one column value to another with Care

Hi Experts, Please bear with me, i need help I am learning AWk and stuck up in one issue. First point : I want to sum up column value for column 7, 9, 11,13 and column15 if rows in column 5 are duplicates.No action to be taken for rows where value in column 5 is unique. Second point : For... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to append suffix to column when column has duplicated values

Please help me to get required output for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 and need separate code for both scenario 1 and scenario 2 Scenario 1 i need to do below changes only when column1 is CR and column3 has duplicates rows/values. This inputfile can contain 100 of this duplicated rows of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare 1st column from 2 file and if match print line from 1st file and append column 7 from 2nd

hi I have 2 file with more than 10 columns for both 1st file apple,0,0,0...... orange,1,2,3..... mango,2,4,5..... 2nd file apple,2,3,4,5,6,7... orange,2,3,4,5,6,8... watermerlon,2,3,4,5,6,abc... mango,5,6,7,4,6,def.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tententen
1 Replies
SHTOOL-TABLE.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-TABLE.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-table - GNU shtool pretty-print a field-separated list SYNOPSIS
shtool table [-F|--field-sep sep] [-w|--width width] [-c|--columns cols] [-s|--strip strip] strsepstr... DESCRIPTION
This pretty-prints a list of strings as a table. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -F, --field-sep sep Separate columns using sep. Default is ":". -w, --width width Width of each column. Default is 15 characters. -c, --columns cols Number of columns. Default is 3. -s, --strip strip Strip off any characters past strip. Default is 79. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool table -F , -w 5 -c 4 "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12" HISTORY
The GNU shtool table command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1999 for GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), tr(1), fmt(1), sh(1), awk(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-TABLE.TMP(1)