Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Setting alias (quotes, acutes) Post 303003280 by RudiC on Monday 11th of September 2017 03:16:08 PM
Old 09-11-2017
Lovely - works with procps-ng version 3.3.10 as well. BUT - you need to specify the unabridged command name; it won't accept any wild cards nor regexes as far as I can see...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a boot device alias on Sun hardware

I watched this done a long time ago, but cannot find it anywhere. I need to alias the boot device "disk" to /sbus@7,0/QLGC,isp@0,10000/sd@c,0 I think I need to set "use-nvramrc?" to true, and then create an alias within the nvramrc to point disk to the boot disk, but this is the step I cannot... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 98_1LE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Query regarding alias and setting bash as a default script

Hi All, I am setting bash as my working shell in my .profile file. So I have written a line : bash as the list line in my .profile I want to use alias as follows: alias me='who am i' When i log in, as expeced I enter the bash shell but alias doesn't work. Is it because the alias is defined... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VENC22
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alias and quotes

Hi, I have problems to set the following command as an alias in my bashrc file: ldapsearch -LLL -x -W -b 'o=me,ou=addressbook,dc=subdomain,dc=dyndns,dc=org' -H ldaps://subdomain.dyndns.org -D 'uid=me,ou=users,dc=subdomain,dc=dyndns,dc=org'The problem is the quotes (I think). I tried with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: borobudur
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to alias an awk command with single and double quotes?

Hi, I am trying to write the following command as an alias in my .bashrc file. bjobs -u all | awk '{if (NR > 1) {username++;}}END{{print"\nJOBS BY USER:\n"} for (i in username) {print username,i;}{print"\n Total Jobs=",NR-1,"\n" }}' The command simply puts how many jobs each user is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacekmaciek
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Setting an alias in Redhat

Hi Everyone, I am trying to set up alias the only way I now how, buy making entry into .bashrc file. The entry I made is alias ll='ls -lrt' It is not working as I expect. When I enter "alias" at the command line I get the following. $ alias alias l.='ls -d .* --color=tty' alias... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Alias setting in Solaris

Hi All, I need some information on 'Alias' setting in SUN SOLARIS.:confused: Q1. I want to know how can i set my alias here. Q2. How to view all set 'ALIAS' for me. (say /home/jdash user) Q3. Can i modify the set 'Alias' for me or for whole environment. Q4. Is Alias setting can be change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdash.ps
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting alias for a user - Linux ubuntu

Hi i have a user "SYSTEM" i want to set the below command in his .profile for an alias: who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {} i tried as below: alias stop = " who | awk '{print $1}'| sed '/SYSTEM/d' | sed '/root/d' |xargs -i pkill -u {}" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joycesolomon
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting alias with echoing embedded $ sign

I tried to set up some alias in my .profile to save typing. One of the alais i tried to set up is alais test='echo 123$acct54679abc' But when I typed in test in the command line. The echo only dispaly 123 and truncated all the string starting from the $ sign. Is there any way to display the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: oht
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias setting

I want to set an alias to connect to sqlplus and also run a command while it it logs in. How can I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies
xpatemplate(7)							SAORD Documentation						    xpatemplate(7)

NAME
XPATemplate - Access Point Names and Templates SYNOPSIS
XPA access points are composed of two parts: a general class and a specific name. Both parts accept template characters so that you can send/retrieve data to/from multiple servers at one time. DESCRIPTION
When XPA servers call XPANew(), or XPACmdNew() to define XPA access points, they specify a string identifier composed of a class and a name. When clients communicate with XPA access points, they specify which access points to communicate with using an identifier of the form: class:name All registered XPA access points that match the specified identifier will be available for communication (subject to access control rules, etc.) As of XPA 2.1.5, the length of both the class and name designations are limited to 1024 characters. The XPA class:name identifier actually is a template: it accepts wild cards in its syntax, so a single specifier can match more than one XPA access point. (Note that the class is optional and defaults to "*".) The allowed syntax for clients to specify the class:name tem- plate is of the form shown below. (Note that "*" is used to denote a generic wild card, but other wild cards characters are supported, as described below). template explanation -------- ----------- class:name exact match of class and name name match any class with this name *:name match any class with this name class:* match any name of this class *:* match any access point In general, the following wild-cards can be applied to class and name: wildcard explanation -------- ----------- ? match any character, but there must be one * match anything, or nothing [...] match an inclusive set Although the class:name template normally is used to refer to XPA access points, these also can be specified using their individual socket identifiers. For inet sockets, the socket identifier is ip - port, where ip can be the DNS-registered name, the ASCII IP number (e.g. 123.45.67.890) or the hex IP number (e.g. 838f3a60). For unix sockets, the identifier is the socket file name. These socket identifiers are displayed as the fourth argument in the xpans display of registered access points. For example, consider the ds9 program started using inet sockets. The xpans name server will register something like this: csh> xpaget xpans DS9 ds9 gs saord.harvard.edu:3236 eric You can access ds9 using ip:3236 in any of the three forms: csh> xpaget saord:3236 file /home/eric/data/snr.ev csh> xpaget 123.45.67.890:3236 file /home/eric/data/snr.ev csh> xpaget 838f3a60:3236 file /home/eric/data/snr.ev In the case of unix sockets, the socket identifier is a file: csh> xpaget xpans DS9 ds9 gs /tmp/.xpa/DS9_ds9.2631 eric csh> xpaget /tmp/.xpa/DS9_ds9.2631 file /home/eric/data/snr.ev This feature can be useful in distinguishing between multiple instances of a program that all have the same class:name designation. SEE ALSO
See xpa(7) for a list of XPA help pages version 2.1.14 June 7, 2012 xpatemplate(7)