Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extracting from log file
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Extracting from log file Post 303003250 by RudiC on Monday 11th of September 2017 06:18:51 AM
Old 09-11-2017
man regex:

Quote:
A bracket expression is a list of characters enclosed in "[ ]". It normally matches any single character from the list ... If the list begins with '^', it matches any single character ... not from the rest of the list.
As the field values follow the field name and are terminated by either a comma or a right brace, that regex part allows for all chars EXCEPT those two and is terminated by either.

The period at the beginning allows for any char, esp. the double quote for the field names. It's a lazy way to do so; you could also specify an escaped double quote.

Last edited by rbatte1; 09-11-2017 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Separated square brackets, else they appear to make a single square character.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting the required text from log files

It would be highly appreciable if any one helps me in this. I am trying to get it done through Java but I love unix and believe it can be done within minutes with couple of lines. The input log file is a text file contains multiple entries seperated by a blank line. Each seperated entry... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hareeshram
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting only words from a log file

hello: i have a file and i am trying to extract only unique words from that file. i used the command: cat messages.1 | tr " " "\n" | sort | uniq -c but using this command outputs everything unique in the file be it words, numbers, like all the characters..i need a command which will only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikbenq
6 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

extracting date from log file

You are given a 1 year logfile with each line starting with a date in the form “YYYY-MM-DD”. How would you extract logs from the 4th day of each month and put them into a new file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DOkuwa
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from a log file with date formats

Hello, I have a log file for the year, which contains lines starting with the data in the format of YYYY-MM-DD. I need to get all the lines that contain the DD being 04, how would I do this? I tried using grep "*-*04" but it didn't work. Any quick one liners I should know about? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpickering
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting log entries from a date onwards

One of the log file looks like entries as below. Wed Apr 6 14:51:18 2011 FAIL LOGIN: Client "9.191.21.54" Wed Apr 6 14:52:53 2011 CONNECT: Client "9.191.21.54" Wed Apr 6 14:52:54 2011 OK LOGIN: Client "9.191.21.54" Wed Apr 6 14:55:10 2011 CONNECT: Client "9.191.21.54" Wed Apr 6... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rijeshpp
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting strings from a log file.

I'm new to all this and I've been fiddling with this problem for HOURS and feel silly that I can't work it out! I have a .log file that VERY long and looks like this: 2011-08-31 10:03:34 SUESTART AG Amndmnt Client WebRequest DNU SUEEND Sequence: 600, 2011-08-31 10:03:34 SUESTART... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SusieSA
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the last 10mins worth of data in a log file

Hi all, Hope someone here will be able to help me. Our system has some scripts that are run from a cron job every ten mins and is used to see how many error there are in that time frame. Problem is that in the scripts grep is used to find the data, but as the day goes on these log file grow to a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Goldengreen
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting Delimiter 'TAG' Data From log files

Hi I am trying to extract data from within a log file and output format to a new file for further manipulation can someone provide script to do this? For example I have a file as below and just want to extract all delimited variances of tag 32=* up to the delimiter "|" and output to a new file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddyluv
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while extracting data from log file

I am running awk command to extract data from log file to calculate last 15 minutes log using below command and now i am getting bellow error: awk '$0>=$from' from=$(`date -u +"####<%d-%b-%Y %H:%M:%S o'clock GMT>"-15min`) test.log Error: date: 0551-402 Invalid character in date/time... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oberoi1403
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from rsync log

Hi I have a daily rsync that runs and i am trying to find a easy way of extracting the start time and end time of the sync and extract the details of how much data was copied. I would like to use this information to see if i can increase the amount of rsyncs that run in a day. so the log... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
3 Replies
grablogs.conf(4)						   File Formats 						  grablogs.conf(4)

NAME
grablogs.conf - grablogs configuration for libgrablogs.so of the plugins of gnome-system-log file SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf DESCRIPTION
The libgrablogs.so is a plugin for gnome-system-log(1), it colloct the log files from the system as many as possible. grablogs.conf is a configuration file that contains a set of lines mixed with sh(1) syntax codes and individual log files. libgrablogs.so will read the file try to get a log files list for gnome-system-log(1). Users can copy the file into $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p` to overwrite the system default one. The grablogs.conf file contains the following configuration categories: [configs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a config file of System. The plugin will open the config file and try to find all system paths of the logs. [commands] Each line under this category is interpreted as a shell command and will be execute through a pipe. And each line of the out- put of the command will be interpreted as a log path. [logs] Each line under this category is interpreted as a log path. FILES
/usr/lib/gnome-system-log/plugins/grablogs.conf The system default configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so $HOME/.gnome2/gnome-system-log/plugins/`uname -p`/grablogs.conf The user specific configuration file for the plugin libgrablogs.so EMAMPLE
[configs] /etc/syslog.conf [commands] for i in `svcs -aH -o FMRI | grep -v lrc `; do svcprop -p restarter/logfile $i 2>/dev/null || svcprop -q -p restarter/alt_logfile $i 2>/dev/null ; done [logs] /var/log/messages /var/log/secure /var/log/maillog /var/log/cron /var/log/Xorg.0.log /var/log/XFree86.0.log /var/log/auth.log /var/log/cups/error_log SEE ALSO
gnome-system-log(1), pipelog.conf(1) gnome-utils 2.16.0 13 Oct 2006 grablogs.conf(4)