Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed assistance
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed assistance Post 303003227 by drl on Sunday 10th of September 2017 06:48:53 AM
Old 09-10-2017
Hi.

For password generation, see also:
Code:
apg     generates several random passwords (man)
Path    : /usr/bin/apg
Length  : 15 lines
Type    : Bourne-Again shell script, ASCII text executable
Shebang : #!/bin/bash
Repo    : Debian 8.8 (jessie) 

pwgen   generate pronounceable passwords (man)
Path    : /usr/bin/pwgen
Type    : ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV ...)
Repo    : Debian 8.8 (jessie)

For a system like:
Code:
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.16.0-4-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 8.8 (jessie)

as well as some others, e.g. Fedora, Debian-based systems.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need assistance: sed and repeating patterns

hi, I need to write a command with sed to find all the lines in a file that contain patterns of three or more characters that repeat once and put them inside perenthezes. I cannot tell sed what pattern to look for. it should find repeated patterns automatically. example:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: metalwarrior
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

assistance requested (sed related)

I gotta write a command to change the accounts in /etc/passwd that use a shell other than the bash to bash shell. those accounts that dont use a shell shouldnt get modified. assuming all the shell programs end in sh and other programs dont. and the result should go into /etc/passwd.rev any hint? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metalwarrior
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with appending strings using sed and variables

HI, Can't seem to find anything on the forums to fix this. I have a file, one line within this will not have a specific string at the end. I have the string, but need to append it to the specific line which has it missing. I need to use a variable for this, $string - I am using double... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mandriver
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed search and replace word assistance...

Hi, I am trying to write a shell script designed to take input line by line by line from a file with a word on each line for editing with sed. Example file: 1.ejverything 2.bllown 3.maikling 4.manegement 5.existjing 6.systems My design currently takes input from the user, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkfitzwilliams
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with sed

Hi All, I need your assistance, I would like to replace all lines beginning with the word "begin" with the below text: Device | IPMB0-A | IPMB0-B Board Address |Sent SentErr %Errr |Sent SentErr ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need assistance with sed

Hi All, I need your assistance, I would like to replace all lines beginning with the word "begin" with the below text: Device | IPMB0-A | IPMB0-B Board Address |Sent SentErr %Errr |Sent SentErr ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed newbie scripting assistance

Howdy folks, I'm trying to craft a log file summarisation tool for an application that creates a lot of duplicate entries with only a different suffix to indicate point of execution. I thought I'd gotten close but I'm clearly missing something. Here's a genericized version: A text_file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mthespian
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/command assistance

Hello all, I need some help and education creating a script. Basically I have a file with a list of numbers.. 2125554444 2124445555 I need to put them into a format that looks like this.... UQ-V8.1,2125554444,hdaudio UQ-V8.1,2124445555,hdaudio Any help would be greatly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay11789
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/command assistance

Hello, I'm attempting to play with sed commands again... I have a file named test1 with numbers...ex:5551234567 I run this sed on the file... cat test1 | sed 's/^/homeDnModify "/g' | sed 's/$/" "" 3/g' >test2 Im hoping it will look like this... homeDnModify "551235" "4567" ""... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay11789
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Assistance required to decode sed search using /1

Hi, I am trying to extract line number (first number), as well as everything from TSVal onwards. 4 1.474005 172.18.124.142 -> 74.125.228.46 TCP 2450940617 74 44021 > https Seq=0 Win=5840 Len=0 MSS=1380 SACK_PERM=1 TSval=2450940617 TSecr=0 WS=64 6 1.488149 172.18.124.142 ->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sand1234
1 Replies
d_passwd(4)							   File Formats 						       d_passwd(4)

NAME
d_passwd - dial-up password file SYNOPSIS
/etc/d_passwd DESCRIPTION
A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct pass- word must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. d_passwd is an ASCII file which contains a list of executable programs (typically shells) that require a dial-up password and the associ- ated encrypted passwords. When a user attempts to log in on any of the ports listed in the dialups file (see dialups(4)), the login program looks at the user's login entry stored in the passwd file (see passwd(4)), and compares the login shell field to the entries in d_passwd. These entries determine whether the user will be required to supply a dial-up password. Each entry in d_passwd is a single line of the form: login-shell:password: where login-shell The name of the login program that will require an additional dial-up password. password An encrypted password. Users accessing the computer through a dial-up port or modem using login-shell will be required to enter this password before gaining access to the computer. d_passwd should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. If the user's login program in the passwd file is not found in d_passwd or if the login shell field in passwd is empty, the user must sup- ply the default password. The default password is the entry for /usr/bin/sh. If d_passwd has no entry for /usr/bin/sh, then those users whose login shell field in passwd is empty or does not match any entry in d_passwd will not be prompted for a dial-up password. Dial-up logins are disabled if d_passwd has only the following entry: /usr/bin/sh:*: EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample d_passwd file. Here is a sample d_passwd file: /usr/lib/uucp/uucico:q.mJzTnu8icF0: /usr/bin/csh:6k/7KCFRPNVXg: /usr/bin/ksh:9df/FDf.4jkRt: /usr/bin/sh:41FuGVzGcDJlw: Generating An Encrypted Password The passwd (see passwd(1)) utility can be used to generate the encrypted password for each login program. passwd generates encrypted pass- words for users and places the password in the shadow (see shadow(4)) file. Passwords for the d_passwd file will need to be generated by first adding a temporary user id using useradd (see useradd(1M)), and then using passwd(1) to generate the desired password in the shadow file. Once the encrypted version of the password has been created, it can be copied to the d_passwd file. For example: 1. Type useradd tempuser and press Return. This creates a user named tempuser. 2. Type passwd tempuser and press Return. This creates an encrypted password for tempuser and places it in the shadow file. 3. Find the entry for tempuser in the shadow file and copy the encrypted password to the desired entry in the d_passwd file. 4. Type userdel tempuser and press Return to delete tempuser. These steps must be executed as the root user. FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords /etc/passwd password file /etc/shadow shadow password file SEE ALSO
passwd(1), useradd(1M), dialups(4), passwd(4), shadow(4) WARNINGS
When creating a new dial-up password, be sure to remain logged in on at least one terminal while testing the new password. This ensures that there is an available terminal from which you can correct any mistakes that were made when the new password was added. SunOS 5.10 2 Sep 2004 d_passwd(4)