Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading from file bash command Post 303003202 by MadeInGermany on Saturday 9th of September 2017 06:59:32 AM
Old 09-09-2017
I do not see the problem.?
Read enough fields, because joining is easier than splitting.
An exercise for demonstration
Code:
while read  id sample platform R1 R2 gene1 gene2 gene3 junk
do
  echo "----"
  echo "process non-empty genes"
  for i in $gene1 $gene2 $gene3; do echo "$i"; done
  echo "process all 3 genes"
  for i in "$gene1" "$gene2" "$gene3"; do echo "$i"; done
done < samples.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Reading 2 arguments from a command line

If no arguments are entered I wanna be able to read 2 arguments, i have done like this but it doesnt work: x=0 until #loop starts do if ; then echo No arguments were entered, please enter 2 arguments. read $1 $2 elif || ; then echo $#... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vozx
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: reading filenames from file

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that reads filenames from a file and use these filenames in a loop. The filenames are all on one line and the problem is that these filenames have wildcards like * and braces like in them. Right now what I'm doing is something like this: echo "reading from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: warp17
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading lines from a file, using bash, "at" command

Hi. I have the script shown below. If I execute it form the command line it seems to work properly, but when I fun it using the unix "at" command "at -m now < ./kill-at-job.sh" It appears to hang. Below is the script, the input file, and the execution as reported in the e-mail from the "at"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbsimon000
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in reading file (bash)

i get a name from user first name : last name, in this format. Now i am saving this to a file. what i want is, I do not want to save any name if I already have one entry o that same name..what should i do for example user give robert fernandez this will save in file as robert:fernandez. if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in reading a cv file in bash

Hi All, I am trying to read a .csv file which has some 6 columns. Eg: samp.csv one, two, three, four six, seven, eight, nine I used the following code, for line in `cat samp.csv` do echo "$line" done It displays every comma seperated values in each line like, one,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnwilliams.sp
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Reading a file and assigning variables from file

I have a file that has four values on each line and I'd like to give each column a variable name and then use those values in each step of a loop. In bash, I believe you could use a while loop to do this or possibly a cat command, but I am super new to programming and I'm having trouble decoding... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccorder22
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading command line options from bash script

I have the following code and I am calling it using ./raytrac.bash -u and getting problems. For some reason opt_usage is still 0. opt_usage=0 iarg=0 narg=$# while (($iarg < $narg)) do (( iarg = $iarg + 1 )) arg=$argv usrInputFlag=`echo $arg | awk '/=/ {print 1}; ! /=/... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
22 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a text file using bash

I've a file in linux with following text: ;ip address hostname put-location alt-put-location tftpserver 192.168.1.1 r01-lab1-net /mnt/nas1/fgbu/ /opt/fgbu/devicebackup 192.168.1.254Now I want to read these values and assign them to particular variables... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashif.live
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Reading a file from a different directory in a Bash script

Hi all, Given here under a section of a script I am using. SIMDIR="/home/Ins/forces" cd $SIMDIR for file in `ls *.forces` do basename=`echo $file | sed 's/\.*$//'` extname=`echo $file | sed 's/*\(*\)\.\(.*\)/\2\1/'` echo "Processing file: "$basename python convert.py... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Theo Score
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash Variable scope - while loop while reading from a file

Cope sample1: test.sh i=0 echo " Outside loop i = $i " while do i=$(( $i + 1)) echo "Inside loop i = $i " done echo " Out of loop i is : $i " When run output : Outside loop i = 0 Inside loop i = 1 Inside loop i = 2 Inside loop i = 3 Inside loop i = 4 Inside loop i = 5 Inside... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adarshreddy01
8 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)