Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract n-digits from string in perl Post 303003072 by durden_tyler on Thursday 7th of September 2017 10:37:40 AM
Old 09-07-2017
If the 8-digit number is always preceded by the word "STATE:" then you could use regular expressions as well:

Code:
$
$ cat mylog.txt
01/05/2017 10:23:41 [ABCD-22357$0]: file.log.38: database error, MODE=SINGLE, LEVEL=critical, STATE: 01170255 (mode main
$
$ perl -lne 'print $1 if /STATE:\s+(\d+)/' mylog.txt
$

If it could be preceded by more than word, then specify them all in your regular expression, like so:

Code:
$
$ cat mylog_1.txt
01/05/2017 10:23:41 [ABCD-22357$0]: file.log.38: database error, MODE=SINGLE, LEVEL=critical, STATE: 01170255 (mode main
something else
over here
01/05/2017 10:23:41 [ABCD-22357$0]: file.log.38: database error, MODE=SINGLE, LEVEL=critical, BLAH: 12345678 (mode main
some other stuff
$
$ perl -lne 'print $2 if /(STATE|BLAH):\s+(\d+)/' mylog_1.txt
$

Last edited by durden_tyler; 09-07-2017 at 11:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

to check if a string has only digits

Hi guys, I am not very experienced in writing ksh scripts and I am trying to write a piece of code that indicates if a given string contains only digits and no alphabet (upper or lower case). If i write it my way it would turn out to have a lot of comparisons.. :eek: Thanks a lot in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmikanth
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract digits at end of string

I have a string like xxxxxx44. What's the best way to extract the digits (one or more) in a ksh script? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: offirc
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie: how to extract an unknown word from a string

hi, im quite new to perl regexp. i have a problem where i want to extract a word from a given string. but the word is unknown, only fact is that it appears as the second word in the string. Eg. input string(s) : char var1 = 'A'; int var2 = 10; char *ptr; and what i want to do is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolwy_pete
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Isolate and Extract a Pattern Substring (Digits Only)

Hi guys, I have a text file report generated from egrepping multiple files. The text files themselves are obtianed after many succesive refinements, so they contain already the desired number, but this is surrounded by unwanted characters, newlines, spaces, it is not always at the start of the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: netfreighter
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Extract String

Hi, I have a string like "something is good wanted (bla bla)" I need to get the world "wanted" from this string and "assign it to a variable".. but it's not a static word so i want to get that word by searching the pattern as follows <space>desiredword<space>( and i tried to get that... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xlynx3
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl REGEX - How do extract a string in a line?

Hi Guys, In the following line: cn=portal.090710.191533.428571000,cn=groups,dc=mp,dc=rj,dc=gov,dc=br I need to extract this string: portal.090710.191533.428571000 As you can see this string always will be bettween "cn=" and "," strings. Someone know one regular expression to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick-ski
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string and sending it into a new file in perl program

Hi, I have a input file with following values (test.out) I would like to grep all lines with word 'PANIC' and sent it another file using perl program with grep command. I have been trying different ways and not working. Pls advice. Thanks a lot for the help. --example--... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract digits from a string in unix

Hi all, i have such string stored in a variable var1 = 00000120 i want the o/p var1 = 120 is it possible to have such o/p in ksh/bash ... thanx in advance for the help sonu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu_pal
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk extract certain digits from file with index substr

I would like to extract a digit from $0 starting 2,30 to 3,99 or 2.30 to 3.99 Can somebody fix this? awk --re-interval '{if($0 ~ /{1}{2}/) {print FILENAME, substr($0,index($0,/{1}{2}/) , 4)}}'input abcdefg sdlfkj 3,29 g. lasdfj alsdfjasl 2.86 gr. slkjds sldkd lskdjfsl sdfkj kdjlksj 3,34 g... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdf
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I extract digits at the end of a string in UNIX shell scripting?

How can I extract digits at the end of a string in UNIX shell scripting or perl? cat file.txt abc_d123_4567.txt A246_B789.txt B123cc099.txt a123_B234-012.txt a13.txt What can I do here? Many thanks. cat file.txt | sed "s/.txt$//" | ........ 4567 789 099 012 13 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mingch
11 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)