Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Simple symmetrical wave RMS DEMO using awk. Post 303002987 by wisecracker on Wednesday 6th of September 2017 09:04:12 AM
Old 09-06-2017
Hi JM...
(Thanks for the reply.)
Apologies for any typos, and hope it is lucid enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
It looks to me like you have a granularity problem. Four dots as a sample can fit a lot of functions, with intermediate datapoints from increased sampling rates you could then use fft to get good sine waves, for example.

You can code fft.c then call it using the system() function in awk. I think your awk supports that call.

A google for 'fft.c' got me 10 first page hits that looked respectably good. There are sites with an array of algorithmic variants to meet differing needs.

fft is gold standard for fitting data sampling output.
Apologies for the delay, I have not been around for a while. My triangle wave is more or less hypothetical as sampling a real time random triangle wave that......
1) starts at the 0 point,
2) is initially positive going,
3) has 4 samples, or any number of the same 4 samples,
......is close to impossible.
But a file CAN be so easily be created as shown in the single cycle version in the code.
Although I was aware of the errors that creep in when creating the RMS values I was NOT aware of this one off bizarre situation, (and could find nothing on the WWW about it), so after creating the simple code I made a point of there being a reference to this anomaly.

As the RMS value(s) are near the exact value(s) for that of a sinewave hence my point.

In the days of Debian 6 and PCLinuxOS 2009, (my two main OSes in those days), when '/dev/dsp' was available, recreating the waveforms through '/dev/dsp' would result in a triangle wave as the sound system interpolation was Linear, this was also true for some Windows machines of bygone days. I am not sure what interpolations are used in current OSes and sound systems but it sure looks trigonometric to me, so I would guess that a sinewave would be recreated as a result.

I am happy with the idea of the RMS code at this point but looking more towards True RMS but would probably need to rethink my approach.

But to re-iterate for others, be aware of this anomaly.

LBNL, for any FFT work needed, I would do it through Python and SciPy as the heavy lifting is done already, see previous uploads of AudioScope.sh for the AF Spectrum display...

Bazza...

Last edited by wisecracker; 09-06-2017 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Modify for error...

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

about wave file integrating.

Now I have two wave file(*.wav) at Tru64 Unix machine. I want to make a new wave file including the two wave file. how I should finish this programmer. If you know, can you give me the format of the wave file(*.wav) and Sun au file(*.au). Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: livic
1 Replies

2. Programming

Porting Rogue Wave to Linux

I am challenged with porting an old application from Solaris to Red Hat. The application uses Rogue Wave and I am searching for a Red Hat implementation. Your help is appreciated! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FunkyWinkerbean
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)