Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell script for capturing FTP logs Post 303002974 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 6th of September 2017 06:00:44 AM
Old 09-06-2017
What have you tried with redirection? I think you might get it working with something like this:-
Code:
#!/bin/bash
HOST=ftp.example.com
USER=ftpuser
PASSWORD=P@ssw0rd
logfile=/path/to/logs/filename.$$

ftp -inv $HOST <<EOF > $logfile
user $USER $PASSWORD
cd /path/to/file
mput *.html
bye
EOF

Using $$ in the filename appends the PID, so fairly random to avoid overwriting.
You could choose a fixed log file and append to it by using >> $logfile or you could use a date/timestamp like one of these:-
Code:
logfile="/path/to/logs/filename.$(date +%Y%m%d_%T)"             # Time stamp is YYYYMoDD_HH:Mi:SS
logfile="/path/to/logs/filename.$(date +%s)"                    # Time is in seconds from the Epoch
logfile="/path/to/logs/filename.$(date +%s.%N)"                 # Time is in nano seconds from the Epoch

Some of the date flags might be OS dependant though.

Do any of these help?
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing shell script command output

I am trying to check to see if a file exists on a ftp server, well, I know that cant be done, atleast directly, So I came up with this small script ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD cd public_html/crap dir $FILE quit END_SCRIPT Where the $ variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: designflaw
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script to gather logs.

Hi, I am currently working on a FTP script which would ftp to extranet servers from intranet server and gather logs based on timestamps in archive logs and by using a wildcard character in the present logs. I have the following in place AAA="Extranet Server 1:Instance Extranet Server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: openspark
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing Input Parameters on Shell Script

i have this basic line of code that doesn't work. i simply want to get the input parameter strings but when the script is run it appears that the first parameter is assigning the value to the second parameter. #!/bin/sh pdir=`pwd` p1=$1 p2=$2 echo "directory: $pdir\n" echo "parameter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing log of a shell script

Hi, I have a script which does multiple tasks in sequence. When i execute the script, it runs and displays lot of messages for each of the steps on the console. Is there any way I can capture those messages and store it for audit purposes ? Best Regards, bornon2303 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bornon2303
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing FTP logs

Hi Guys, I am trying to capture the FTP Logs in a log file. I am using the below code. ftp -d -n -v $Remote_Host << EOD > $Ftp_LOG; Since iam running the script in debug mode, i am able to see that the ftp is done and the file has been transferred. But the log file does not have... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
7 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Capturing console (/dev/ttyS1) logs

Hi, I have been trying to capture console logs from the init script. When the ramfs is mounted, i check if usb is connected , if conncted, i mount it and redirected the console logs like so: cat & /dev/ttyS1 >> /mnt/logs.txt I'm getting /bin/sh : /dev/ttyS1 :permission denied ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the killed process logs

I have two set of questions. 1) To skip killing some process automatically. 2) To kill other process and capture their log. I have set of process, some needs to be killed gracefully and others should be skipped. Listed are the process. adm 1522... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murali1687
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing name of the user who is running a shell script

Hello All, I am writing a shell script which will run on build server where multiple users can login.These users can run this script at the same time. I want to capture the name of the user who ran the script for every instance.How can I do that ? Regards,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in capturing Time from Autosys Logs

Hi Guys, I'm very new to Shell scripting and have to design a code which I'm not able to find a way to. I will try to explain the aim in detail and shall be obliged if anyone could help me with the coding snippet. I have an input file who's every row has a few details about an autosys Job. I shall... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crusnik02
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with Capturing time from Autosys logs

Hi Guys, I'm very new to Shell scripting and have to design a code which I'm not able to find a way to. I will try to explain the aim in detail and shall be obliged if anyone could help me with the coding snippet. I have an input file who's every row has a few details about an autosys Job. I shall... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Crusnik02
1 Replies
SIMPLEFTP(1)						    InterNetNews Documentation						      SIMPLEFTP(1)

NAME
simpleftp - Rudimentary FTP client SYNOPSIS
simpleftp url [...] DESCRIPTION
simpleftp is a Perl script that provides basic support for fetching files with FTP in a batch oriented fashion. It takes one or more FTP URLs on the command line. The file(s) will be retrieved from the remote server and placed in the current directory with the same basename as on the remote; e.g., <ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/active.gz> is stored as active.gz in the current directory. The script properly understands usernames, passwords and ports specified as follows: ftp://user:password@host:port/path/file BUGS
simpleftp is an extremely poor substitute for more complete programs like the freely available wget or ncftp utilities. It was written only to provide elementary support in INN for non-interactive fetching of the files in <ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/pgpcontrol/> or <ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/> without requiring administrators to install yet another package. Its shortcomings as a general purpose program are too numerous to mention, but one that stands out is that downloaded files by simpleftp override existing files with the same name in the local directory. HISTORY
Tossed off by David C Lawrence <tale@isc.org> for InterNetNews. Rewritten to use "Net::FTP" by Julien Elie. $Id: simpleftp.pod 8357 2009-02-27 17:56:00Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
actsync(8). INN 2.5.2 2009-05-21 SIMPLEFTP(1)