Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which Do I Do First?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Which Do I Do First? Post 303002901 by bakunin on Monday 4th of September 2017 03:44:24 PM
Old 09-04-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by split_func0
Do I First of all Learn how to navigate through the system and have a good grasp of its command before learning shell scripting.
As you will see this is (almost) the same. Practically every modern shell is a command interpreter as well as a language and what you can enter at the command line you can also use as a line of a script - and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by split_func0
Or can i learn both at the same time. I am also considering learning C.
As you can imagine from what i said above the answer to your first question is: yes, you can learn that at the same time. Notice, though, that programming is not only about learning a language, just like cooking is not about learning recipes. To cook well you need to learn some basics common to every recipe - cutting things, mixing well, usage of the various kitchen devices - and only then you may successfully cook some recipe.

Programming is similar: knowing the language is a critical part of it but even more critical is to know "how to do it" so that you end up with a well-structured program instead of a mess. This part is called "software engineering" and it applies to each and every programming endeavour, however small.

So, if you have no prior programming experience, instead of learning UNIX and shell scripting and C i suggest to concentrate on one of the languages (although both are a valuable bit of knowledge and will help you understand better the inner workings of a computer) and pick up some software development/software engineering skills alongside. Once you mastered that you can always learn a second (third, ...) language and apply the general knowledge you already have to it. It is better to be able to write well-written programs in a single language then to write bad programs in ten of them.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AutoLearnThreshold(3)	User Contributed Perl Documentation	 Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AutoLearnThreshold(3)

NAME
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AutoLearnThreshold - threshold-based discriminator for Bayes auto-learning SYNOPSIS
loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AutoLearnThreshold DESCRIPTION
This plugin implements the threshold-based auto-learning discriminator for SpamAssassin's Bayes subsystem. Auto-learning is a mechanism whereby high-scoring mails (or low-scoring mails, for non-spam) are fed into its learning systems without user intervention, during scanning. Note that certain tests are ignored when determining whether a message should be trained upon: o rules with tflags set to 'learn' (the Bayesian rules) o rules with tflags set to 'userconf' (user configuration) o rules with tflags set to 'noautolearn' Also note that auto-learning occurs using scores from either scoreset 0 or 1, depending on what scoreset is used during message check. It is likely that the message check and auto-learn scores will be different. USER OPTIONS
The following configuration settings are used to control auto-learning: bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam n.nn (default: 0.1) The score threshold below which a mail has to score, to be fed into SpamAssassin's learning systems automatically as a non-spam message. bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam n.nn (default: 12.0) The score threshold above which a mail has to score, to be fed into SpamAssassin's learning systems automatically as a spam message. Note: SpamAssassin requires at least 3 points from the header, and 3 points from the body to auto-learn as spam. Therefore, the minimum working value for this option is 6. bayes_auto_learn_on_error (0 | 1) (default: 0) With "bayes_auto_learn_on_error" off, autolearning will be performed even if bayes classifier already agrees with the new classification (i.e. yielded BAYES_00 for what we are now trying to teach it as ham, or yielded BAYES_99 for spam). This is a traditional setting, the default was chosen to retain backwards compatibility. With "bayes_auto_learn_on_error" turned on, autolearning will be performed only when a bayes classifier had a different opinion from what the autolearner is now trying to teach it (i.e. it made an error in judgement). This strategy may or may not produce better future classifications, but usually works very well, while also preventing unnecessary overlearning and slows down database growth. perl v5.16.3 2011-06-06 Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::AutoLearnThreshold(3)