Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Does vsftpd support user subcommand? Post 303002861 by bestard on Monday 4th of September 2017 12:04:41 AM
Old 09-04-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Do not mess with PAM unless you are in easy driving distance of the system, have a rescue CD and the technical know-how to fix it by hand. Even then, give it a couple of second thoughts. The risks of altering PAM are very high. You can easily render your system unbootable, un-login-able, or open security holes you could only discover by accident (or intentional intrusion).

Why do you need to change users after an FTP login? Why not login as the user you wanted to login as in the first place?

Why do you need to use FTP at all?

Explain your problem in more detail and we can probably find better solutions.
Thank you for reminding.
I don't have intention to alter or replace PAM actually,
I'm just thinking if any variables can be added/adjusted into vsftpd PAM file to solve USER command issue. Altering the PAM file is not necessary for me.
If there are other ways to solve the issue, that would be fine.

We have some in-house utilities worked among different domains.
Those utilities are served to users.
A user can run programs and upload data to a partially public account.

The program generates a ftp script including changing the user's account
to the public account "design" and then run the script to upload data.
The program designer uses .netrc to avoid inputing passwords
It's a little bit complicated to explain the designer's needs in detail.
I got a part of the designer's codes as below,

Code:
# upload database to the "design" account
# the "design" account is an public account with 755 permission.
if(!(-e $HOME/.netrc)) then
        echo machine host login design password password >> $HOME/.netrc
        chmod 600 $HOME/.netrc
else if("`grep design $HOME/.netrc`" == "") then
        echo machine host login design password password >> $HOME/.netrc
endif

echo ftp host \> ftp.log \<\<\! > cts.ftp
echo user design password >> cts.ftp
echo mkdir $argv[1] >> cts.ftp
echo cd $argv[1] >> cts.ftp
echo bi >> cts.ftp
echo put ${cid}_cts.zip >> cts.ftp
echo bye >> cts.ftp
echo \! >> cts.ftp

chmod 700 cts.ftp
cts.ftp
rm -f cts.ftp

I know it's an outdated coding style since using .netrc is risky and unsafe. There are some history backgrounds out there.
We just focus on solving the issue.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by bestard; 09-04-2017 at 03:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp

I've been tearing my hair out over this: vsftp does not work on any of my RedHat Server 5.x systems - I keep getting a variation on 500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp or 500 OOPS: cannot locate user entry:nobody (different errors on different systems). I spent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomn8r
2 Replies

2. Linux

500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp

I've been fighting this for about a year: vsftp does not work on any of my RedHat Server 5.x systems - I keep getting a variation on 500 OOPS: vsftpd: cannot locate user specified in 'ftp_username':ftp or 500 OOPS: cannot locate user entry:nobody (different errors on different systems). I spent... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomn8r
0 Replies

3. Solaris

user support

We have a very old sun solaris ultra spac system (about 14 years old). We have information stored on it that we reference from time to time because our new software is lacking. The system failed about a week ago and I had to do a hard boot to get it back up. It came up that time, but it failed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshinn15
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VSFTPD - User or IP based SSL encryption?

Is there a way i can only force SSL encryption if they connect from outside our network OR allow certain IP's to connect without using encryption? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem using VSFTPD

Hello, When my fellow employees loggin to the FTP server they have no problems if they use FTP clients. When they try and access the FTP site using their browsers using ftp://<domain> name all they get is a pub directory which is empty. They are not even prompted for loggin. How to fix... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

VSFTPD

Hi, I am using VSFTPD. I have instructed it to send all logging informartion to /var/log/messages. I would like it to record the names of users who have failed loggin attempts. I have read up on it but have not found out how to do this. Any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

vsftpd with ssl support on rhel5 64 bit

Hi Friends, I am trying to configure vsftpd server 2.0.5 on rhel5 64 bit installation. I am getting an error when initiating an ssl connection. I am using filezilla 3.0 ftp client. Client is specifically using passive mode connection. I can see the client is able to connect to the server,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read Only user in Vsftpd

HI I have set up vsftp on my Red hat server. Chroot has been set up to control access to each user and folder directories. This all works fine. But i have one directory where i want to chroot but ensure that the ftp access is read only. Any help appreciated thanks Treds (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: treds
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vsftpd

Hello I am new to linux. I have recently installed vsftpd in my Centos server. I have set the local_umask=0037. But now i can't understand how the window users added in a centos server can see each-other folder. ---------- Post updated at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:55 AM... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maham Zahid
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does vsftpd support user access with client certificate with priv/pub key + vsftpd certificate?

:rolleyes:I am trying to setup all certificate based client-server environment in Linux using vsftpd and curl with openssl. I would like to make a user access with vsftpd certificate and user own client certificate (self-signed) with private/public key. I don't see google posts about the my plan... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
4 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc -- user configuration for ftp SYNOPSIS
~/.netrc DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)