Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Nohup error
Operating Systems Solaris Nohup error Post 303002826 by jlliagre on Saturday 2nd of September 2017 05:20:38 PM
Old 09-02-2017
Beware that the non POSIX "disown" utility is not available to the OP who is running Solaris 10. "disown" is only implemented in Solaris 11.

In any case, "disown" is not required here, being redundant. The "nohup" call is already disconnecting the launched process from the running session so there is no reason to try to do it twice.
This User Gave Thanks to jlliagre For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

error piping nohup to /dev/null

Hi, I have a script as follows: #!/bin/sh nohup ./my_program >& /dev/null & However, i get a "Generated or received a file descriptor number that is not valid" whenever I run it. running the command up in prompt is ok though. if i change the first line to #!/bin/csh i get a then:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mochi
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nohup

Hi, Using nohup it sends output automatically to $HOME/nohup.out - how do I direct this output to another named file instead, so I can run several scripts in the background at once, directing their outputs into individual log files? Cheers (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help on nohup

Hi I submitted a long running executable without using nohup. Now, is there any way I can assure to keep that process ON even if my session gets killed? Thanks Bobby (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbyjohnz
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nohup - help!

I find that if I use nohup (in bourne shell script) then all the interactive parts in my code are gone hidden... e.g., the places asking input from the user (such as ckyorn) will not be displayed. This is no good. Is there a way to use nohup (or similar utility) and meanwhile, to keep the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

nohup standerd error

hi, im using nohup command to execute one script. in the nohup.out im getting standerd output as well as standerd error in it. i want standerd output and error in nohup.out and only standerd error in error.txt file. im using command like following nohup sh test.sh 2>error.txt & ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When we need nohup

Hi, I've read the man page on nohup. But I still can't see what's the differences if we just send a process to background versus sending a nohup process to background. eg: myprocess & vs nohup myprocess & Without nohup, myprocess would still run uninterruptible at background... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ehchn1
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error while running script using nohup

Hi, I am running the below script. When i run the script normally it executes fine but when i run the same script using nohup it throws an error as getStatus.sh: syntax error at line 3: `(' unexpected . Can you let me know why it is so? while do . $(dirname $0)/include.sh cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vignesh53
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How get program name that produced an IO error redirected to a LOG in a nohup command?

Good afternoon, I'm have program that executes in background another programs. The main program would be programA and the programs executed by the main one, would be program1a, program1b and program1c. I need the programs to continue the execution no matter if the shell connection is lost,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Saving nohup output to a file other than nohup.out

Shell : bash OS : Oracle Linux 6.4 I want to save the ouput of a nohup command to file other than nohup.out . Below are my 3 attempts. For both Attempt1 and Attempt2 , the redirection logs the output correctly to the output file. But I get the error "ignoring input and redirecting stderr to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error running a script in nohup mode

Hi, running this script in normal mode, no error occours #!/usr/bin/ksh VALUE=0 SUBJECT='sub' ADDRESSES="aaa@gmail.com" BODY='body' while true do COUNT=$(tail -2500 /log/file.log | grep -i "error" | wc -l) if ; then echo "$BODY" | mailx -s "$SUBJECT" "$ADDRESSES"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nash83
3 Replies
deploytool(1m)						    Application Server Utility						    deploytool(1m)

NAME
deploytool - launches the deploytool utility to deploy, package, and edit your J2EE applications SYNOPSIS
deploytool [--help] [--userdir user_directory] [--configdir configuration_directory] Use the deploytool utility to deploy and package your J2EE applications and components, create and edit J2EE deployment descriptors, and create and edit J2EE Application Server specific deployment descriptors. If the application is not J2EE compliant, an error message is dis- played. Only one session of the deploytool utility can run with a specific user directory. A lock file is created to ensure that only one utility session is running. A message is displayed if a lock file is detected. OPTIONS
--help displays the arguments for launching the AssemblyTool. --userdir identifies the user directory. The default user directory is .deploytool under your home directory. Only one deploytool session can be running per user directory. A lock file is created under the user directory to ensure that only one session of the deploytool is running. The deploytool utility uses this directory to store configura- tion information. o On Solaris, the default directory is at ~/.deploytool --configdir identifies the configuration directory. The configuration directory is where the asenv.conf file is located. On Solaris the asenv.conf can be found at: o Bundled installation: /etc/appserver o Unbundled installation: default is /etc/opt/SUNWappserver7 or user specified o Evaluation installation: AS_SERVER_INSTALL/config. Where AS_SERVER_INSTALL is the directory where you have installed the Java 2 Platform, Enterprise Edition 1.4 Application Server Beta 2. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Using deploytool example% deploytool --userdir /myapplication --config_dir /myconfigdir Where --userdir specifies the destination directory, and -config_dir identifies the configuration directory. SEE ALSO
verifier(1M) Sun Java System Application Server March 2004 deploytool(1m)