Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help using wildcard (*) within script Post 303002808 by katolb75 on Friday 1st of September 2017 04:42:30 PM
Old 09-01-2017
I'm going to be off a while. I'll have to study your responses. I will get back with you guys. Thanks for the help. v1_file came from the expandstr function. Getstr gets the grep command the user typed in. It's all there, just out of order.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcard

what will the cmd below do? ls *.3 1 members mentions that to seek all permutations and combinations of the mp3 extension ill have to use curly braces, {} and not, . what then will do? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

globbing, $# is too high after wildcard expansion in bash script

How can I pass in an argument such as "*.k" to a bash script without having to double-quote *.k and not having *.k `glob` to match all files in the pattern? I tried using noglob in my script but this didn't work the way I thought it would.. expansion is still occuring, $# is higher than I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoo591
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard in bash shell script

I tried to use the wildcard '*' in my bash script, but I can not get it work. Here is a simple example (list file names in current directory): ls ./* does not work in my bash script. But it works if I use ls ./ So is there any special syntax to use '*' wildcard in bash script (I tested the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aerosols
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem when concatinating wildcard onto file location in bash script

I am having difficulty with the following script: #! /bin/bash filelist=~/data/${1}* ~/./convertFile $filelist ~/temp/outputEssentially, there are a large number of files in the directory ~/data, each with a four-letter code at the beginning (eg. aaaa001 aaaa002 bbbb001 bbbb002 etc). The... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lears_Fool
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use wildcard * in if?

Hi, Can anyone help me how to use * in if statement. File contains below line1:a|b|c|Apple-RED| line2:c|d|e|Apple-Green| line3:f|g|h|Orange| I need to find line by line 4th field contains 'Apple' or not. Please help me at the earliest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam_prasanna
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard help!!

i have got heaps of files (.pdf, .txt and .doc) files in one folder, i am making a program in PERL that helps me find the files i want easier using shell wildcard, something like this!! print "Enter a pattern: (must be in )"; $input = <STDIN>; if (The input is in and valid wildcard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard in ls

Hi Experts, I want to use ls in the below form: ls -l *.{txt,TXT} (working fine) but when i am declaring a variable, VAR="*.{txt,TXT}" ls -l $VAR is not working. Please help. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugarcane
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard in bash script

Hi there, I am pretty new to linux scripting so .. I am writing a script to loop through all my directories of sequence files in order to do stuff with them (trimming, normalizing, stuff that one would do with sequence files). Here I need to pick out files that match each other. The files... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jahndavik
10 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Help with wildcard

CD_numb is AM017 this code: set the_Firstcom_CD to (do shell script "ls -d '/volumes/audioNAS/Firstcom/Access Music/' ") & CD_numb gives me this: "/volumes/audioNAS/Firstcom/Access Music/AM017" the item I am looking for is AM017Q. I can get the "*" syntax right so it never finder... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbrady
7 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)