Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Show Asterisks when changing Password Post 303002797 by Corona688 on Friday 1st of September 2017 12:34:40 PM
Old 09-01-2017
The UNIX login / password system is called PAM, or shadow (part of PAM). Open source PAM actually used to have this feature (GETPASS_ASTERISK) but it was removed for security reasons sometime 2006-ish. It prevents people from guessing your password's length - same reason web browsers show the wrong number of asterisks on autofill.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Changing With NIS

SCO OpenServer 5.05 Has anyone ever received this error when attempting to change/assign a user password? #ypasswd ======================================= yppasswd: (host name) is not running yppasswd daemon Password request denied. Reason: Remote password change request denied.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
2 Replies

2. Solaris

changing password

Hi Someone logged on the system with a Normal user and changed the password , for this user , how can i know ? who changed the password from which terminal ? regards Georges (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsgeorge
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing password is to short ?

Hello im trying to change the user password with passwd but when I enter the password it gives me this msg: passwd: Password too short - must be at least 6 characters. BUT the thing is that the initial password was 4 letters why now it asking for 6 ? tnx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

4. AIX

changing user password

I have 02 servers: - Linux RHEL AS 3 (server1) - AIX 5.2 (server2) Running the command rsh server2 passwd derje from the server1 to change derje user password on server2, give me this error: 3004-709 Error while changing the password for "derje" Can somebody help me ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayge
0 Replies

5. HP-UX

Changing root password

I have two unix system A and B with same configuration. I can use remsh from A system login to B system as root, but when I want to change the root password of B system, it ask me the old password, but i forgot it. However, is it possible to change the B system root password? :( Thanks a lot (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zetadhell
3 Replies

6. Solaris

hash password in shadow show 'x' ???

Hello, I want to know the reason behing the scene why some systems have hashed password in /etc/shadow file as "x" not the alienoid language like A1Dksxi3kaA.. (13 characters) As far as I understand, etc/password will show password as "x" and move all hashed password to etc/shadow.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smith
8 Replies

7. Solaris

Changing Password in NIS

Friends I want to know whether i can change the password of a user logged in thru NIS from a client machine after stopping the YP services in NIS server. Note - The Slave server is up and running. I tried doing this. But i got the reply "Permission Denied". I stopped the YP services in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: efunds
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing the password prompt

Is there any way I can change the prompt which asks for the password on a UNIX system? e.g. When I login using Telnet instead of "Password" I should get "Correct Password". Thanks, Vineet (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

password changing

Hi all Im trying to learn the basics of bash and am struggling with some file manipulation. I am trying to run a script that once you have logged in allows you to change your password which is held (along with the corresponding username) in a different file called usernames. When i try to run my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: somersetdan
2 Replies

10. AIX

Changing root password

I want to change the root password on an AIX box. What is the best method to do this so i do not get myself locked out. When I do i search the results come up for resetting the password if you are locked out. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fierfek
5 Replies
pam_ldap(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       pam_ldap(8)

NAME
pam_ldap - PAM module for LDAP-based authentication SYNOPSIS
pam_ldap.so [...] DESCRIPTION
This is a PAM module that uses an LDAP server to verify user access rights and credentials. OPTIONS
use_first_pass Specifies that the PAM module should use the first password provided in the authentication stack and not prompt the user for a pass- word. try_first_pass Specifies that the PAM module should use the first password provided in the authentication stack and if that fails prompt the user for a password. nullok Specifying this option allows users to log in with a blank password. Normally logins without a password are denied. ignore_unknown_user Specifies that the PAM module should return PAM_IGNORE for users that are not present in the LDAP directory. This causes the PAM framework to ignore this module. ignore_authinfo_unavail Specifies that the PAM module should return PAM_IGNORE if it cannot contact the LDAP server. This causes the PAM framework to ig- nore this module. no_warn Specifies that warning messages should not be propagated to the PAM application. use_authtok This causes the PAM module to use the earlier provided password when changing the password. The module will not prompt the user for a new password (it is analogous to use_first_pass). debug This option causes the PAM module to log debugging information to syslog(3). minimum_uid=UID This option causes the PAM module to ignore the user if the user id is lower than the specified value. This can be used to bypass LDAP checks for system users (e.g. by setting it to 1000). MODULE SERVICES PROVIDED
All services are provided by this module but currently sessions changes are not implemented in the nslcd daemon. FILES
/etc/pam.conf the main PAM configuration file /etc/nslcd.conf The configuration file for the nslcd daemon (see nslcd.conf(5)) SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), nslcd(8), nslcd.conf(5) AUTHOR
This manual was written by Arthur de Jong <arthur@arthurdejong.org>. Version 0.8.10 Jun 2012 pam_ldap(8)