Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Encyrpt does not work in bash script Post 303002776 by jim mcnamara on Friday 1st of September 2017 07:22:19 AM
Old 09-01-2017
You need to escape the leading $ character, or put the entire password in single quotes.
bash is eating the leading $. There used to be limits to the size of passwords, since you did not post the OS, I would guess you need to be careful of the number of characters.

FWIW: huge passwords invite users to write them down, which creates a security concern. Why? nobody can remember 40 random characters reliably. I do not know what you are trying to do, but this seems like a bad approach to me.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open and work on a .doc file with bash script

Hello there....unix users :) I hope you can help me with this: I need open a doc file or xls files and work this files whit a bash script. For example: Open a doc file and copy information from a txt file in this doc file or xls file. Is it possible? Sorry for my english...I'm chilean... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbasystem
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cant get a counter to work in bash scipt, this is calling expect script

I have looked high and low, tryed lots of diffrent things but cant get a simple counter to work right. what i need is to increase a count ever time it finishes the test, pass or fail. example TEST PASS 1, NEXT TEST PASS 2, I curently have set foo o while {$foo <=5} { incr foo puts... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melvin
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to grep doesn't work in bash script

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that checks gvfs to see if a mount exists so I can run it from network-manager's status hooks. I thought I'd pipe the output of gvfs-mount -l to grep for the particular mounts I care about. When I do this in a bash script: cmnd="gvfs-mount -l | grep -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcstrom
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested double quotes won't work in my bash script?

In a bash script I have: LSCMD="find /project/media/ -mindepth 2 -maxdepth 2 -name \"files*pkg\"" ALL_PACKAGES=$( $LSCMD | sort 2>/dev/null) But I get nothing returned. It's just all blank. If I run the find command in a terminal, I get dozens of hits. I figure it's the way how I'm... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: superbbrr
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync in bash script doesn't work even after placing pub key in target server

Hello Friends, My bash script is like this #!/bin/bash # request Bourne shell as shell for job #$ -S /bin/bash # assume current working directory as paths #$ -cwd #$ -N rsync-copy # # print date and time date rsync -rltD --progress "ssh -i /home/myname/.ssh/id_rsa"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script: "mkdir -p" doesn't work with var(cat x)

Hello, :) I've an issue with the creation of a directory, All work without it :mad: So, below, my scripts with the debug output : #!/bin/bash # PATHS HOME_BACKUP="/home/backup" HOME_SCRIPT="/home/scripts/test/backup_server" TARGET="/var/www" # DATE DATE_Ymd=$(date +%Y-%m-%d) #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arnaudh78
1 Replies

9. AIX

Bash does not work on AIX 7.2

We have a new LPAR with AIX 7.2. We want to work with bash, so installed bash from Perzl (bash_64-4.4.5.aix5.1.ppc.rpm). But after install bash does not work. If I call "bash", nothing happens. The xterm, where I started bash, is totally dead. I tried the bash from aixtools.net, too. Same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BuSchu
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script does not work as expected

Repeat this text in a file named notes.txt and run the script Before bash is a good language a blank line appears Also, the following notes are displayed incorrectly What is bad? ================================== Title : Note 1 ================================== Category: Computer Date... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesar60
3 Replies
MKPASSWD(1)						      General Commands Manual						       MKPASSWD(1)

NAME
mkpasswd - generate new password, optionally apply it to a user SYNOPSIS
mkpasswd [ args ] [ user ] INTRODUCTION
mkpasswd generates passwords and can apply them automatically to users. mkpasswd is based on the code from Chapter 23 of the O'Reilly book "Exploring Expect". USAGE
With no arguments, mkpasswd returns a new password. mkpasswd With a user name, mkpasswd assigns a new password to the user. mkpasswd don The passwords are randomly generated according to the flags below. FLAGS
The -l flag defines the length of the password. The default is 9. The following example creates a 20 character password. mkpasswd -l 20 The -d flag defines the minimum number of digits that must be in the password. The default is 2. The following example creates a password with at least 3 digits. mkpasswd -d 3 The -c flag defines the minimum number of lowercase alphabetic characters that must be in the password. The default is 2. The -C flag defines the minimum number of uppercase alphabetic characters that must be in the password. The default is 2. The -s flag defines the minimum number of special characters that must be in the password. The default is 1. The -p flag names a program to set the password. By default, /etc/yppasswd is used if present, otherwise /bin/passwd is used. The -2 flag causes characters to be chosen so that they alternate between right and left hands (qwerty-style), making it harder for anyone watching passwords being entered. This can also make it easier for a password-guessing program. The -v flag causes the password-setting interaction to be visible. By default, it is suppressed. EXAMPLE
The following example creates a 15-character password that contains at least 3 digits and 5 uppercase characters. mkpasswd -l 15 -d 3 -C 5 SEE ALSO
"Exploring Expect: A Tcl-Based Toolkit for Automating Interactive Programs" by Don Libes, O'Reilly and Associates, January 1995. AUTHOR
Don Libes, National Institute of Standards and Technology mkpasswd is in the public domain. NIST and I would appreciate credit if this program or parts of it are used. 22 August 1994 MKPASSWD(1)