Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting BASH logging to file, limit lines Post 303002698 by scorpius2k1 on Wednesday 30th of August 2017 09:17:45 PM
Old 08-30-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
Assuming that log.txt contains 20 lines of text when you start the following script:
Code:
netcat -ul -p 53 | while IFS='' read -r line
do	sed 1d log.txt > _log.txt
	{ cat _log.txt; printf '%s\n' "$line"; } > log.txt
done

might come close to doing what you want.
I am very grateful for your reply, that did it perfectly! I simply used a
Code:
LINECOUNT=$(wc -l < "log.txt")

to grab the number of lines in the file and put on space in any remaining. Easy enough to parse out the spaces and display data

I cannot thank you enough Don, many, MANY thanks! SmilieSmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash telnet session logging

I'm looking at allowing remote telnet into my server. like any security-minded administrator, I want to log what my users type on the telnet session. I'm using the script command to generate transcripts of the users session. I have /etc/profile set to automatically start the script command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramnet
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging ALL standard out of a bash script to a log file, but still show on screen

Is it possible to store all standard-out of a bash script and the binaries it calls in a log file AND still display the stdout on screen? I know this is possible to store ALL stdout/stderr of a script to a single log file like: exec 1>&${logFile} exec 2>&1 But running a script with the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit the number of characters in a bash output

I have a script that outputs the weather on two lines. If possibly I would like to set a character limit on them Currently it outputs something like but I would like to limit the lines so appends an ellipsis if nescessary: This is the script #! /bin/bash curl -s --connect-timeout... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Light_
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash logging al $() command lines

I have been doing a lot more bash on LINUX RedHat and Ubuntu lately, and one thing keeps cropping up intermittently. If I do a $( some-commands ) Command Substitution, the some-commands are logged onto my screen each time they are evaluated. Did I turn on some odd option? It seems to happen just... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGPickett
13 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit reoccurrance of characters in lines

Hey guys and gals, Working on a script to limit the reoccurrance of characters in a line. sed "/\(.\).*\1/d" -i file.txt sed "/\(.\).*\1.*\1/d" -i file.txt sed "/\(.\).*\1.*\1.*1/d" -i file.txt .. To limit character reoccurance with 1x, 2x, 3x etc. However I would like to be able to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting Same Lines from File(BASH)

hey all, ./test #!/bin/bash for line in $(cat data1) do echo $line done data1 ello there nobody says a word Output after running the file : hello (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file with limit number of lines

Hi, I am trying to pull data from a txt file which has 51 lines Example AK AR AL AZ CA CO CT Now i want to send above data as input to script but i want to run them twice at a time in a nohup like nohup Script_name AK & (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krux_rap
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to send lines of file to new file based on Regex

I have a file that looks like this: cat includes CORP-CRASHTEST-BU e:\crashplan\ CORP-TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man CORP-LABS_TEST /usr/openv/java /usr/openv/logs /usr/openv/man What I want to do is make three new files with just those selections. So the three... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Limit on amount of lines less can handle

Is there a limit on the amount of lines less can handle? I grepped for something that is pretty common in my files so I tried to filter it through less so it was easier to look at. So I then used a redirect ">" to create a file. It created a file that was 103K long. So that makes me think there is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limit the number of characters in bash output

Hi, I need some help with this: I'm making a script which does a couple of things with image files. The script is supposed to echo the number of each image it is processing like this: Processing image1.jpgThe problem is with images with very long filenames, so I want to know how to limit the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shadow_Reaper
5 Replies
monitor(1)                                                        monitor command                                                       monitor(1)

NAME
monitor - receive logging information from LPD SYNOPSIS
monitor [ -u ] [ -t ] [ port ] DESCRIPTION
The monitor program is a template for a printer status monitoring program. It will open the specified TCP and/or UDP port, and then wait for accounting or other information to be sent. It prints this information on it standard output. OPTIONS
-u wait for connections on the UDP port. -t wait for connections on the TCP port. port Use the specified port number. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: zero (0) Successful completion. non-zero (!=0) An error occurred. SEE ALSO
lpd.conf(5), lpc(8), lpd(8), checkpc(8), lpr(1), lpq(1), lprm(1), printcap(5), lpd.conf(5), pr(1), lprng_certs(1), lprng_index_certs(1). AUTHOR
Patrick Powell <papowell@lprng.com>. HISTORY
LPRng is a enhanced printer spooler system with functionality similar to the Berkeley LPR software. The LPRng developer mailing list is lprng-devel@lists.sourceforge.net; subscribe by visiting https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lprng-devel or sending mail to lprng- request@lists.sourceforge.net with the word subscribe in the body. The software is available via http://lprng.sourceforge.net LPRng 2006-12-09 monitor(1)