Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace a string in a file using another file as source? Post 303002636 by Peter Roday on Tuesday 29th of August 2017 02:21:39 PM
Old 08-29-2017
How to replace a string in a file using another file as source?

I have a file with two columns of alpha numeric strings, I need to replace in another file all the appearances of any string in column A with the correspondent string in column B, I tried this but it is not working:

Code:
for i in `awk '{print $1}' test_file`; do for j in `awk '{print $2}' test_file`; do sed 's/$i/$j/g' test_file1  > test_file2; done; done

as a test if I do this:

Code:
for i in `awk '{print $1}' test_file`; do for j in `awk '{print $2}' test_file`; do echo $i:$j; done; done

I got the list of strings correctly, but the replacement doesn't work

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Added code tags ...

Last edited by Peter Roday; 08-29-2017 at 04:01 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how can search a String in one text file and replace the whole line in another file

i am very new to UNIX plz help me in this scenario i have two text files as below file1.txt name=Rajakumar. Discipline=Electronics and communication. Designation=software Engineer. file2.txt name=Kannan. Discipline=Mechanical. Designation=CADD Design Engineer. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkraja
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To Replace A String In File With A String Containing Windows File Path

Hi, I have a file with the following contents # Lines that start with a # are comments. # # Calling TOAD like this will perform a comparison from command line : # # "C:\Program Files\Quest Software\Toad for Oracle 9.6\toad.exe" -c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace a string in a file without the use of temp file

Hi - I am looking for a replacing a string in a in multiple *.sql files in directory with a new string without using a temporary file Normally I can use sed command as below for W in ls `FILE*.sql` do sed 's/OLD/NEW/g' $W > TEMPFILE.dat mv TEMPFILE.dat $W done But Here in my... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghutapal
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in a file with some content indexed from another file.

We have two files file 1: (usually small, ~100 lines), each line contains a : separated index, value e.g 2: Apple 1: Banana 5: Pear 7: Orange File 2: (usually large, 10 million lines or more), each line contains a single string value. e.g xyz1 xyz2 xyz3 xyz4 xyz5 xyz6 xyz7 Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlokKumbhare
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to read string from file#1 and find/replace in file#2

Hello Forum. I have a file called abc.sed with the following commands; s/1/one/g s/2/two/g ... I also have a second file called abc.dat and would like to substitute all occurrences of "1 with one", "2 with two", etc and create a new file called abc_new.dat sed -f abc.sed abc.dat >... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchang
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace character string in txt file using input file(S)

Hi I have a large txt file on my AIX server and I need to replace some text using two other files. So filename1 has about 500 lines similar to: txtcode SYStem100 I have the string I want to change in string2 and the new stringname in string3. Does anyone know a way of doing this? I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
DB2_COLUMNS(3)								 1							    DB2_COLUMNS(3)

db2_columns - Returns a result set listing the columns and associated metadata for a table

SYNOPSIS
resource db2_columns (resource $connection, [string $qualifier], [string $schema], [string $table-name], [string $column-name]) DESCRIPTION
Returns a result set listing the columns and associated metadata for a table. PARAMETERS
o $connection - A valid connection to an IBM DB2, Cloudscape, or Apache Derby database. o $qualifier - A qualifier for DB2 databases running on OS/390 or z/OS servers. For other databases, pass NULL or an empty string. o $schema - The schema which contains the tables. To match all schemas, pass '%'. o $table-name - The name of the table or view. To match all tables in the database, pass NULL or an empty string. o $column-name - The name of the column. To match all columns in the table, pass NULL or an empty string. RETURN VALUES
Returns a statement resource with a result set containing rows describing the columns matching the specified parameters. The rows are com- posed of the following columns: +------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | Column name | | | | | | | Description | | | | +------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ | TABLE_CAT | | | | | | | Name of the catalog. The value is NULL if this | | | table does not have catalogs. | | | | | TABLE_SCHEM | | | | | | | Name of the schema. | | | | | TABLE_NAME | | | | | | | Name of the table or view. | | | | | COLUMN_NAME | | | | | | | Name of the column. | | | | | DATA_TYPE | | | | | | | The SQL data type for the column represented as | | | an integer value. | | | | | TYPE_NAME | | | | | | | A string representing the data type for the col- | | | umn. | | | | | COLUMN_SIZE | | | | | | | An integer value representing the size of the | | | column. | | | | | BUFFER_LENGTH | | | | | | | Maximum number of bytes necessary to store data | | | from this column. | | | | | DECIMAL_DIGITS | | | | | | | The scale of the column, or NULL where scale is | | | not applicable. | | | | | NUM_PREC_RADIX | | | | | | | An integer value of either 10 (representing an | | | exact numeric data type), 2 (representing an | | | approximate numeric data type), or NULL (repre- | | | senting a data type for which radix is not appli- | | | cable). | | | | | NULLABLE | | | | | | | An integer value representing whether the column | | | is nullable or not. | | | | | REMARKS | | | | | | | Description of the column. | | | | | COLUMN_DEF | | | | | | | Default value for the column. | | | | | SQL_DATA_TYPE | | | | | | | An integer value representing the size of the | | | column. | | | | |SQL_DATETIME_SUB | | | | | | | Returns an integer value representing a datetime | | | subtype code, or NULL for SQL data types to which | | | this does not apply. | | | | |CHAR_OCTET_LENGTH | | | | | | | Maximum length in octets for a character data | | | type column, which matches COLUMN_SIZE for sin- | | | gle-byte character set data, or NULL for non- | | | character data types. | | | | |ORDINAL_POSITION | | | | | | | The 1-indexed position of the column in the ta- | | | ble. | | | | | IS_NULLABLE | | | | | | | A string value where 'YES' means that the column | | | is nullable and 'NO' means that the column is not | | | nullable. | | | | +------------------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
db2_column_privileges(3), db2_foreign_keys(3), db2_primary_keys(3), db2_procedure_columns(3), db2_procedures(3), db2_special_columns(3), db2_statistics(3), db2_table_privileges(3), db2_tables(3). PHP Documentation Group DB2_COLUMNS(3)