Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to ignore whitespace in field Post 303002607 by Don Cragun on Monday 28th of August 2017 04:04:28 PM
Old 08-28-2017
If you want different input field separators for your two input files, you need to change the value of FS when you switch input files. Try:
Code:
awk 'FNR==NR {a[$1]=$2; next} a[$8]{$10=a[$8]}1' OFS="\t" file2 FS='\t' file1 > output

which uses the default (strings of one or more <space> and/or <tab> characters) as the field separator when reading from file2 and uses a single <tab> character as the field separator when reading from file1.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

find columns with whitespace as field seperator?

Hai I am using bash-2.03$ bash --version GNU bash, version 2.03.0(1)-release (sparc-sun-solaris) I am not able to use gawk command its showing command not found , why ? Eg: awk 'NR==1' fix.txt | gawk 'BEGIN { FIELDWIDTHS = "3 2" } { printf($1"|"$2); }'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkbharani
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to assign value to variable using awk coz of whitespace in value

Unix gurus, I have a file as below, which is basically the result set obtained from a sql query on an Oracle database. ID PROG_NAME USER_PROG_NAME -------- --------------- ---------------------------------------- 33045 INCOIN Import Items 42690 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunpraveen
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match (whitespace digits whitespace) sequence?

Hi Following is an example line. echo "192.22.22.22 \"33dffwef\" 200 300 dsdsd" | sed "s:\(\ *\ \):\1:" I want it's output to be 200 However this is not the case. Can you tell me how to do it? I don't want to use AWK for this. Secondly, how can i fetch just 300? Should I use "\2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahanali
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - How to preserve whitespace?

Given a file: # configuration file for newsyslog # $FreeBSD: /repoman/r/ncvs/src/etc/newsyslog.conf,v 1.50 2005/03/02 00:40:55 brooks Exp $ # # Entries which do not specify the '/pid_file' field will cause the # syslogd process to be signalled when that log file is rotated. This # action... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How remove leading whitespace from xml (sed /awk?)

Hi again I have an xml file and want to remove the leading white space as it causes me issues later in my script I see sed is possible but cant seem to get it to work I tried sed 's/^ *//' file.xml output <xn:VsDataContainer id="1U104799" modifier="update"> ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: aniquebmx
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore relative few occurrences of a field value?

Hi experts, I have a very long file that looks about like this. aaad_1577 64000 aaad_1577 72000 aaad_1577 72000 aaad_1577 65000 aaad_1577 65000 (...aaad about a thousand times...) bbbd_2002 56000 bbbd_2002 57000 bbbd_3045 57000 cccd_3452 150000 dddd_6014 150000 dddd_6014 150000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abercrom
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Dealing with whitespace in associative array indicies

Is there a reliable way to deal with whitespace in array indicies? I am trying to annotate fails in a database using a table of known fails. In a begin block I have code like this: # Read in Known Fail List getline < "'"$failListFile"'"; getline < "'"$failListFile"'"; getline <... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can awk ignore the field delimiter like comma inside a field?

We have a csv file as mentioned below and the requirement is to change the date format in file as mentioned below. Current file (file.csv) ---------------------- empname,date_of_join,dept,date_of_resignation ram,08/09/2015,sales,21/06/2016 "akash,sahu",08/10/2015,IT,21/07/2016 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopal.biswal
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed to repeat every character on same position from the upper line replacing whitespace

Hello is it possible with awk or sed to replace any white space with the previous line characters in the same position? I am asking this because the file I have doesn't always follow a pattern. For example the file I have is the result of a command to obtain windows ACLs: icacls C:\ /t... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)