Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex to identify illegal characters in a perso-arabic database Post 303002511 by RudiC on Saturday 26th of August 2017 03:58:19 AM
Old 08-26-2017
Wildly guessing on what your after, regretting that there's no output sample to test against, and hoping that UTF-8 will cover all your needs and will be correctly handled by the tools, I came up with

Code:
echo "[^'ا','ب','ٻ','پ','ڀ','ت','ٺ','ٽ','ث','ٿ','ف','ڦ','گ','ڳ','ڱ','ک','ي','د','ذ','ڌ','ڏ','ڊ','ڍ','ح','ج','ڄ','ڃ','چ','ڇ','خ','ع','غ','ر','ڙ','م','ن','ل','س','ش','و','ق','ص','ض','ڻ','ط','ظ','ھ','جھ','گھ','ڪ','ء','ه','آ']" | tr -d "'," | grep -f- file

, which greatly reduces the file's line count (i.e. identifies lines with non-Sindhi chars, lets all-Sindhi lines pass), as does
Code:
grep "[^ابٻپڀتٺٽثٿفڦگڳڱکيدذڌڏڊڍحجڄڃچڇخعغرڙمنلسشوقصضڻطظھجھگھڪءهآ]" file

Is that close to what you need?

If there are "illegal" (why illegal, by the way?) characters in the DB, someone must have put them in. Mayhap an upfront discriminator would be helpful here?

Last edited by RudiC; 08-26-2017 at 05:35 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Illegal characters in Servername / Path

Hi there. I wonder if anybody can help me. I am very new to this and a bit out of my depth. I have a .cmd file which sets various environmental variables for me. When I input a server name that does not contains dots (.) in the name it works fine. As soon as I place in a server name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodjuju
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do I identify files with characters beyond a certain range.

I have a directory with hundreds of files that can not have data pass column 80. I do not know of way to combine "grep" and "cut" command. I tried: cat * | cut -c 81-120 |pg but it only shows me the line, not the file name. Any help would be appreciated. Been on this all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcsunsun01dev
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arabic characters in QNX4

I want to display Arabic characters in QNX4. This work was been done by a colleague several years ago but he didn't document his work. I installed fonts and I got this display (attached). Please let me know how can correct as per the initial display were working in Arabic (attached). Thanks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbc
0 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Identify server.database connection

Good afternoon i need your help, i am new at unix, in a ETL scenario like datastage is , there are a bunch of procesess (script shells) conecting to hetereogenius database source servers in order to extract information. Ive got 2 questions 1. Using unix how can i identify exactly the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Use Regex to identify / format a complex string

First of all, please have mercy on me. I am not a noob to programming, but I am about as noob as you can get with regex. That being said, I have a problem. I've got a string that looks something like this: Publication - Bob M. Jones, Tony X. Stark, and Fred D. Man, \"Really Awesome Article... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: egill
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to identify a full-stop as a sentence delimiter

Hello, Splitting a sentence using the full-stop/question-mark/exclamation is a common device. Whereas the question-mark / exclamation do not pose too much of a problem; the full-stop as a sentence delimiter raises certain issues because of its varied use: just to name a few. Standard parsers... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to identify word in second position on a line

I am interested in finding a regex to find a word in second position on a line. The word in question is या I tried the following PERL EXPRESSION but it did not work: ] या or ^\W या But both gave Null results I am giving below a Sample file: देना या सौंपना=delegate तह जमना या... (8 Replies)
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing a clustering concordance for a Perso-Arabic script

I am working on a database of a language using Arabic Script. One of the major issues is that the shape of the characters changes according to their initial, medial or final positioning. Another major issue is that of the clustering of vowels within the word: the clustering changes totally the... (9 Replies)
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex to identify unique words in a dictionary database

Hello, I have a dictionary which I am building for the Open Source Community. The data structure is as under HEADWORD=PARTOFSPEECH=ENGLISH MEANING as shown in the example below अ=m=Prefix signifying negation. अँहँ=ind=Interjection expressing disapprobation. अं=int=An interjection... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Regex to identify pattern

Hi In a file I have string in multiple lines. Like below: <?=test.getObjectName("L", "testTBL","D") ?> <?=test.getObjectName("L", "testTBL","testDB", "D") ?> I want to use regex to search for the pattern "<?=test.getObjectName...?>" If the parenthesis has 3 parameters then return 2nd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
5 Replies
encoding(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       encoding(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
encoding - Manipulate encodings SYNOPSIS
encoding option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ INTRODUCTION
Strings in Tcl are encoded using 16-bit Unicode characters. Different operating system interfaces or applications may generate strings in other encodings such as Shift-JIS. The encoding command helps to bridge the gap between Unicode and these other formats. DESCRIPTION
Performs one of several encoding related operations, depending on option. The legal options are: encoding convertfrom ?encoding? data Convert data to Unicode from the specified encoding. The characters in data are treated as binary data where the lower 8-bits of each character is taken as a single byte. The resulting sequence of bytes is treated as a string in the specified encoding. If encoding is not specified, the current system encoding is used. encoding convertto ?encoding? string Convert string from Unicode to the specified encoding. The result is a sequence of bytes that represents the converted string. Each byte is stored in the lower 8-bits of a Unicode character. If encoding is not specified, the current system encoding is used. encoding names Returns a list containing the names of all of the encodings that are currently available. encoding system ?encoding? Set the system encoding to encoding. If encoding is omitted then the command returns the current system encoding. The system encod- ing is used whenever Tcl passes strings to system calls. EXAMPLE
It is common practice to write script files using a text editor that produces output in the euc-jp encoding, which represents the ASCII characters as singe bytes and Japanese characters as two bytes. This makes it easy to embed literal strings that correspond to non-ASCII characters by simply typing the strings in place in the script. However, because the source command always reads files using the ISO8859-1 encoding, Tcl will treat each byte in the file as a separate character that maps to the 00 page in Unicode. The resulting Tcl strings will not contain the expected Japanese characters. Instead, they will contain a sequence of Latin-1 characters that correspond to the bytes of the original string. The encoding command can be used to convert this string to the expected Japanese Unicode characters. For example, set s [encoding convertfrom euc-jp "xA4xCF"] would return the Unicode string "u306F", which is the Hiragana letter HA. SEE ALSO
Tcl_GetEncoding(3) KEYWORDS
encoding Tcl 8.1 encoding(n)