Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions UNIX shell scripting programming in files Post 303002455 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 24th of August 2017 12:40:46 PM
Old 08-24-2017
Assuming your current work directory is dir2 being a subdirectory of dir1, you can refer to dir1 as ...
Assuming you have file1 in dir1, you can refer to it as ../file1.
Assuming you have file2 in dir2 that is your current work directory you can refer to it as ./file2 or simply file2.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi, iam having the file as follows: ABCDEFGH|0987654321234567 ABCDEFGH|0987654321234523 ABCDEFGH|0987654321234556 ABCDEFGH|0987654321234545 POIUYTRE|1234567890890678 POIUYTRE|1209867757352567 POIUYTRE|5463879088797131 POIUYTRE|5468980091344456 pls provide me the split command ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: nivas
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to compare some files. say iam having 2 sets of files ,each is having some 10 files. ie, file1 1a.txt 1b.txt 1c.txt ... file2 2a.txt 2b.txt 2c.txt ... i need to read line by line of this files parralley.. ie.. i want to read file1 first line that is 1a.txt and file2... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi, Iam having file1 as follows: ERTYUIOU|1234567689089767688 FDHJHKJH|6817738971783893499 JFKDKLLUI|9080986766433498444 FILE2 ERTYUIOU|1234567689089767688 resh@abc_com 767637218328322332 893589893499 asdsddssd ... (21 Replies)
21 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Shell Scripting / Programming

Hi, I am looking for a PDF or an e-book which can show in details how to do Shell Scripting or Programming. Can anybody provide me with a link to such a tutorial? I have downloaded some tutorials but they show only basics and not give any in-depth study material. I am using Red Hat Linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

# set date to your spec: this is month/day/yr/hr/min/sec: sysdate=`date '+%m/%d/%Y-%H:%M:%S'` # get the last line before the history file is modified tail -1 /tmp/hosthistory.txt |while read lastdate mydevices do echo $lastdate echo $mydevices done LIST = 'ypcat hosts|| sort... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemseffert
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell programming and scripting

I was trying out some new series to get it print 1 1 2 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 5 and the seond one is 1 2 2 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 5 5 5 5 5 but was unable to get the result. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harjinder
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell programming and scripting

hi, i am trying this while loop and i only want that it should only read food as pizza....no other entry should be taken here. #!/usr/bin/perl -w $food = " "; while ( $food ne 'pizza' ) { print 'enter what you had last night: '; chomp ($food = <STDIN>); #print $food ; } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kullu
2 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Unix Shell Scripting : Comparision of two files

Hi, We need to compare a text file File1.txt and config file File2.txt in a way that it checks if the content of File1.txt exists between the range mentioned in File2.cfg. The range here is the range between col1 and col2 of File2.cfg If the content of File1.txt lies between the range of... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: CFA
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies
scandir(3)						     Library Functions Manual							scandir(3)

NAME
scandir, alphasort - Scans or sorts directory contents LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/dir.h> int scandir ( char *dir_name, struct dirent * (*name_list[ ]), int (*select) ( struct dirent *dir ), int (*compare) ( struct dirent **dir1, struct dirent **dir2 ) ); int alphasort ( struct dirent **dir1, struct dirent **dir2 ); PARAMETERS
Points to the directory name. Points to the array of pointers to directory entries. Points to a user-supplied function that is called by the scandir() function to select which entries to include in the array. Points to a user-supplied function that sorts the completed array. Points to a dirent structure. Points to a dirent structure. DESCRIPTION
The scandir() function reads the directory pointed to by the dir_name parameter. It then uses the malloc() function to create an array of pointers to directory entries. The scandir() function returns the number of entries in the array and, through the name_list parameter, a pointer to the array. The select parameter points to a user-supplied function that the scandir() function calls to select which entries to include in the array. The selection routine is passed a pointer to a directory entry and returns a nonzero value for a directory entry that is included in the array. If the select parameter is a null value, all directory entries are included. The compare parameter points to a user-supplied function that is passed to the qsort() function to sort the completed array. If the compare parameter is a null value, the array is not sorted. The memory allocated to the array can be deallocated by freeing each pointer in the array, and the array itself, with the free() function. The alphasort() function alphabetically compares the two dirent structures pointed to by the dir1 and dir2 parameters. This function can be passed as the compare parameter to either the scandir() function or the qsort() function. A user-supplied subroutine may also be used. RETURN VALUES
The scandir() function returns -1 if the directory cannot be opened for reading or if the malloc() function cannot allocate enough memory to hold all the data structures. If successful, the scandir() function returns the number of entries found. The alphasort() function returns the following values: Less than 0 (zero): The dirent structure pointed to by the dir1 parameter is lexi- cally less than the dirent structure pointed to by the dir2 parameter. 0 (zero): The dirent structures pointed to by the dir1 parameter and the dir2 parameter are equal. Greater than 0 (zero): The dirent structure pointed to by the dir1 parameter is lexically greater than the dirent structure pointed to by the dir2 parameter. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: malloc(3), opendir(3), qsort(3) delim off scandir(3)