Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sudo access of rm to non-root user Post 303002419 by solaris_1977 on Wednesday 23rd of August 2017 11:18:32 PM
Old 08-24-2017
I got the point. It may be nature of application, the way it is creating file with root ownership. I can check with application owner, if this nature can be changed.

But, is it possible at all, to give sudo access to app_user to remove that root owned file ? I just want to have my statement correct, before jumping into discussion with them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

2. AIX

sudo user access

I have installed sudo on AIX 6100-04 and want to know how do I set it up for a user to be able to run only some commands? I want to give the user the rights to only cd to certain directories and run the ls command to name a few? Are there any issues with running sudo when the user is forced to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job initiating ssh AND sudo (from user, not root)

I've been bashing my head on the desk for 2 days trying to get this to work, but I've had no luck. I'll try to be as clear as possible in my explanation without dragging out the details. I'm trying to set up a cron job for user "john" which runs a script. This script initiates an ssh connection to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eh3civic
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo/root access

I'm actually working with a Ubuntu-System here and have a question about executing a command with 'sudo'. I tried and got a error message like "not allowed". After this I logged in with 'sudo -s' and typed the command without 'sudo'. This worked well. Can please somebody explain me this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

6. AIX

how to remove sudo access from a user ?

Hello Folks, I need help on removing sudo access on one id but first of all, can i confirm that the user below is having sudo access ? if he did have sudo access, how to remove ? thanks alrsprd3:root-/etc> more sudoers | grep fzcx0l fzcx0l ALL=(ALL) ALL alrsprd3:root-/etc> (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wingcross
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create user with sudo ability to root.

Hi All, I need to give an user sudo ability to root. We have also generated RSA key but unable to proceed further. For example after a user logs into the server normally and when he executes below command $ssh root@server_name This should take you to root prompt # Please help me.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockyc3400
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sudo to user other than root but do not allow sudo to root

I have a set of RHEL 5 boxes running our ERP software on Oracle databases. I need to allow my DBA's to su to oracle and one other account (banner) without knowing the oracle or banner password. But I need to prevent them from su'ing to any other user especially root. I only want them to be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to provide root access via sudo with restrictions?

Hi, I have a requirement to provide root access but user should not run some specific commands, How it is possible. following is my configuration at sudoers file, Cmnd_Alias MYLIMIT = /usr/bin/passwd /sbin/shutdown /usr/bin/reboot /usr/sbin/visudo /bin/vi /usr/bin/vim test2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
5 Replies
CHOWN(1)							   User Commands							  CHOWN(1)

NAME
chown - change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [OPTION]... [OWNER][:[GROUP]] FILE... chown [OPTION]... --reference=RFILE FILE... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of chown. chown changes the user and/or group ownership of each given file. If only an owner (a user name or numeric user ID) is given, that user is made the owner of each given file, and the files' group is not changed. If the owner is followed by a colon and a group name (or numeric group ID), with no spaces between them, the group ownership of the files is changed as well. If a colon but no group name follows the user name, that user is made the owner of the files and the group of the files is changed to that user's login group. If the colon and group are given, but the owner is omitted, only the group of the files is changed; in this case, chown performs the same function as chgrp. If only a colon is given, or if the entire operand is empty, neither the owner nor the group is changed. OPTIONS
Change the owner and/or group of each FILE to OWNER and/or GROUP. With --reference, change the owner and group of each FILE to those of RFILE. -c, --changes like verbose but report only when a change is made -f, --silent, --quiet suppress most error messages -v, --verbose output a diagnostic for every file processed --dereference affect the referent of each symbolic link (this is the default), rather than the symbolic link itself -h, --no-dereference affect symbolic links instead of any referenced file (useful only on systems that can change the ownership of a symlink) --from=CURRENT_OWNER:CURRENT_GROUP change the owner and/or group of each file only if its current owner and/or group match those specified here. Either may be omit- ted, in which case a match is not required for the omitted attribute --no-preserve-root do not treat '/' specially (the default) --preserve-root fail to operate recursively on '/' --reference=RFILE use RFILE's owner and group rather than specifying OWNER:GROUP values -R, --recursive operate on files and directories recursively The following options modify how a hierarchy is traversed when the -R option is also specified. If more than one is specified, only the final one takes effect. -H if a command line argument is a symbolic link to a directory, traverse it -L traverse every symbolic link to a directory encountered -P do not traverse any symbolic links (default) --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Owner is unchanged if missing. Group is unchanged if missing, but changed to login group if implied by a ':' following a symbolic OWNER. OWNER and GROUP may be numeric as well as symbolic. EXAMPLES
chown root /u Change the owner of /u to "root". chown root:staff /u Likewise, but also change its group to "staff". chown -hR root /u Change the owner of /u and subfiles to "root". GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report chown translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie and Jim Meyering. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
chown(2) The full documentation for chown is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and chown programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'chown invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.22 June 2014 CHOWN(1)