Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sudo access of rm to non-root user Post 303002418 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 23rd of August 2017 10:59:08 PM
Old 08-23-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by solaris_1977
This application should not run as root.
If application team needs to restart their application, they are required to remove file /opt/vpp/dom1.2/pdd/today_23 or else application will not start clean. And this file is owned by root always. app_user should be eligible so restart this application, so I have already given start/stop sudo access to app_user, but not sure how should I give rm access only for that specific file.
You're missing the point.

We understand that your application should not run as root. What Jim suggested is that the other application that is creating a file owned by root should change the owner of the file that you want your application to remove to be app_user; not root. If a user needs to be able to remove a file, that user needs to have appropriate permissions to remove that file. If a user named app_user needs to be able to remove a file, there is no reason why a user named root needs to own that file.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

2. AIX

sudo user access

I have installed sudo on AIX 6100-04 and want to know how do I set it up for a user to be able to run only some commands? I want to give the user the rights to only cd to certain directories and run the ls command to name a few? Are there any issues with running sudo when the user is forced to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job initiating ssh AND sudo (from user, not root)

I've been bashing my head on the desk for 2 days trying to get this to work, but I've had no luck. I'll try to be as clear as possible in my explanation without dragging out the details. I'm trying to set up a cron job for user "john" which runs a script. This script initiates an ssh connection to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eh3civic
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sudo/root access

I'm actually working with a Ubuntu-System here and have a question about executing a command with 'sudo'. I tried and got a error message like "not allowed". After this I logged in with 'sudo -s' and typed the command without 'sudo'. This worked well. Can please somebody explain me this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo to delegate permission from non-root user to another non-root user

I've been through many threads before i decide to create a separate thread. I can't really find the solution to my (simple) problem. Here's what I'm trying to achieve: As "canar" user I want to run a command, let's say "/opt/ocaml/bin/ocaml" as "duck" user. The only to achieve this is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: canar
1 Replies

6. AIX

how to remove sudo access from a user ?

Hello Folks, I need help on removing sudo access on one id but first of all, can i confirm that the user below is having sudo access ? if he did have sudo access, how to remove ? thanks alrsprd3:root-/etc> more sudoers | grep fzcx0l fzcx0l ALL=(ALL) ALL alrsprd3:root-/etc> (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wingcross
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create user with sudo ability to root.

Hi All, I need to give an user sudo ability to root. We have also generated RSA key but unable to proceed further. For example after a user logs into the server normally and when he executes below command $ssh root@server_name This should take you to root prompt # Please help me.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rockyc3400
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sudo to user other than root but do not allow sudo to root

I have a set of RHEL 5 boxes running our ERP software on Oracle databases. I need to allow my DBA's to su to oracle and one other account (banner) without knowing the oracle or banner password. But I need to prevent them from su'ing to any other user especially root. I only want them to be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to provide root access via sudo with restrictions?

Hi, I have a requirement to provide root access but user should not run some specific commands, How it is possible. following is my configuration at sudoers file, Cmnd_Alias MYLIMIT = /usr/bin/passwd /sbin/shutdown /usr/bin/reboot /usr/sbin/visudo /bin/vi /usr/bin/vim test2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
5 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)