Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Find wild card directory and its files of some extensions Post 303002402 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 23rd of August 2017 01:18:06 PM
Old 08-23-2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssccc
OK. I see the difference now.
Good. Smilie
Quote:
So, if I don't expect and/or want to list any files starting with a ., I can safely omit the .*.txt and .*.prg parts. Right ?
Yes.

Note that your original problem statement only talked about the trailing filename extensions and never gave any specification of the leading part of the filenames. Therefore, I needed to include those to provide an equivalent list of files since you were using ls -la in your find -exec clause. If you don't want to process hidden files, why did you use ls -la?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using if with wild card patterns

Hi, Please help me. Suppose I have a file which contains files like: My file :/tmp/rooh_20020518.lst it consists: ASI00320225041925URD01 ASI00320225041925KER02 ASI00390228095244KER08 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooh
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls and wild card - Should be simple!

I am trying to cp files that have F0 as prefix in their name in path p1/p2 to path p3/p4 this command does not work - Why? (I am using HP/UX) cp p1/p2/F0* p3/p4 thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wild card in find perm

Hi, Is there a way to use find command to list the directories for certain permissions. I know we can use find . -type d -perm nnn, where nnn is the permission number . However I wold like to know if I wanna search for wild card permissions i.e 75* / 7* / 55* , as i do not know the actual... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: braindrain
1 Replies

4. AIX

df, grep, wild card

Hi, I want to monitor my filesystem capacity and I want to df with grep wildcard for all 9*%. Is this possible? I want to replaced all the existing complicated scripts I have in the system. Thanks, Itik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find Existence of File with wild card using Csh

Hi All, I would like to find out the existence of files with wild card using CSH. I have used the below code but does not seem to work. Can any expert give me some advice ? set nonomatch set pattern = "_xxx" set filetype = ( *$pattern* ) if ( -e $filetype) then echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find with wild card [solved]

Can somebody help me with the following syntax? I want to find all files that end with *.arc SUFFIX=".arc" find /tmp -name "\*$SUFFIX" -print 2>/dev/null ---------- Post updated at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:41 PM ---------- got it thanks -name... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

list files not matching wild card

Hi I need a unix command which generates the list of files that dont match the wild card pattern in the current directory say for example I have files like x.addfd.txt.H2012.txt x.addfd.txt.H2012.txt x.asegfd.txt.H2012.txt adfd.bagddf I need the list of files which dont match... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to find files using wild card search

Hi All, My server is AIX and i am trying to search for a file in a specific path in directory. The file name can be of two types: Position_20131114.csv Position123333_20131114.csv I am trying to assign a SOURCEFILE variable as mentioned below:, but i am unable to find/locate the files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wild card for dir path

I have dir structure like this : /opt/oracle/product/abc/sqlplus/admin/ /opt/oracle/product/def/sqlplus/admin /opt/oracle/product/ghi/sqlplus/admin I am trying to use wildcard ( for dirs abc,def,ghi) ..something like this : cp xyz.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the directories and deleting with wild card

Hi Firends, I have requirement like find the directories in unix after my my deployment is done. generally my requirement as follows. /data/common/scripts is folder and it has multiple scripts in this path. I have taken the back up of scripts folder as below /data/common/0816_scripts... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victory
4 Replies
nomarch(1)							Archive Extraction							nomarch(1)

NAME
nomarch - extract `.arc' archives SYNOPSIS
nomarch [-hlptUv] [archive.arc] [match1 [match2 ... ]] DESCRIPTION
nomarch lists, extracts, or tests `.arc' archives. (An alternate extension sometimes used was `.ark'; these work too.) This is a very out- dated file format which should certainly not be used for anything new, but you may still need an extraction utility, and here it is. :-) The default action is to extract all files in the specified archive; see OPTIONS below for how to do other things instead. OPTIONS
-h give terse usage help. -l list files in archive. If verbose listings are enabled, it shows the filename, compression method, compressed/uncompressed size, date/time, and CRC; but by default, it just shows the filename, uncompressed size, and date/time. -p extract to standard output, rather than to separate files. -t test files in archive (more precisely, check file CRCs). -U use uppercase filenames; more precisely, preserve original case from archive. -v give verbose output (when used with `-l'). archive.arc the archive to operate on. match1 etc. optionally specify which archive members to list/extract/test. Those which match any of these filenames/wildcards are processed. Wildcard operators supported are shell-like `*' and `?', but don't forget to quote arguments which use these (e.g. `nomarch foo.arc '*.bar''). EXTRACTING MULTIPLE ARCHIVES
nomarch follows the `unzip'-like practice of working on only one archive per run, with further `filenames' given on the command-line actu- ally specifying files to extract (or whatever). The easiest way to work on multiple files with nomarch is simply to run it multiple times using for; for example: for i in *.arc; do nomarch $i; done The above would extract all archives in the current directory. USING THE PROGRAM FROM EMACS
Emacs's arc-mode facility lets you work with various kinds of archive file directly from the editor. Making it use nomarch for extracting `.arc' files isn't too hard. Just add the following to your ~/.emacs file: (setq archive-arc-extract '("nomarch" "-U")) BUGS
The CRC used by the format is only 16-bit, so `-t' is a less-than-perfect test. One compression method, obsolete even by `.arc' standards :-), isn't supported yet. This is partly because I've yet to find a single file which uses it, despite testing an awful lot of files. Subdirectories in Spark archives are extracted as the `.arc'-format files they really are, which may not be terribly convenient. SEE ALSO
tar(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), lbrate(1) AUTHOR
Russell Marks (rus@svgalib.org). Version 1.4 18th June, 2006 nomarch(1)