Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Move files from one directory to another in chunks Post 303002303 by itkamaraj on Tuesday 22nd of August 2017 12:42:52 AM
Old 08-22-2017
Hi, why dont you try in for loop. with some sleep time enabled. change the SOURCE_DIR and DESTINATION_DIR values according to your source and destination folder
Code:
#!/bin/bash
SOURCE_DIR="/tmp/source"
DESTINATION_DIR="/tmp/destination"

cd ${SOURCE_DIR}
for FileName in *
do
	echo "Moving the File : ${FileName}"
	mv ${FileName} ${DESTINATION_DIR}
	sleep 1
done

This User Gave Thanks to itkamaraj For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move all files in a directory tree to a signal directory?

Is this possible? Let me know If I need specify further on what I am trying to do- I just want to spare you the boring details of my personal file management. Thanks in advance- Brian- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move files between 2 dates from one directory to another

Hi All, I am coding for a requirement where I need to move files (filename.yymmdd) from one directory(A) to another(B) based on 2 date fields in a paramtere file. (Paramfile.txt) For e.g: In Paramfile.txt, BUS_DT =20120612 SUB_DT =20120602 In this case, i need to move all the files... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
14 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zip all files in a directory and move to another directory

Hi, need to zip all files in a directory and move to another directory after the zip.. i am using this one but didnt help me... zip -r my_proj_`date +%Y%m%d%H%MS`.zip /path/my_proj mv in_proj_`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.zip /path/source/ i am trying to zip all the files in my_proj... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dssyadav
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process files in a directory and move them

I have a directory e2e_ms_xfer/cent01 this contains the multiple files some of which will be named below with unique date time stamps e2e_ms_edd_nom_CCYYMMDD_HHMM.csv What I want to do is in a loop 1) Get the oldest file 2) Rename 3) Move it up one level from e2e_ms_xfer/cent01 to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andymay
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename files in a directory and move them

I have a directory e2e_ms_xfer/cent01 this contains the multiple files some of which will be named below with unique date time stamps e2e_ms_edd_nom_CCYYMMDD_HHMM.csv What I want to do is in a loop 1) Get the oldest file 2) Rename 3) Move it up one level from e2e_ms_xfer/cent01 to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andymay
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Move all files one directory level up

I want to move all the files in a given directory up one level. For example: Dir1 Subdir1 I want to move all the files in Subdir1 up to Dir1 (then I want to ultimately delete Subdir1) Thanks, Ted (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ftrobaugh
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to move gz files from one source directory to destination directory?

Hi All, Daily i am doing the house keeping in one of my server and manually moving the files which were older than 90 days and moving to destination folder. using the find command . Could you please assist me how to put the automation using the shell script . ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Create new directory and move files to that directory.?

Hi All, We have main directory called "head" under this we have several sub directories and under these directories we have sub directories. My requirement is I have to find the SQL files which are having the string "procedure" under "head" directory and sub directories as well. And create... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
14 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)